2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

Details
Designer/Developer: Chapin Boyer
Players: 2
Game Time: 25-40 Minutes
Ages: 8+
Current Phase: Components Made - Draft 2

Overview
Hi all. This is a game in development for the "2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest". It is a light war game inspired by the Viking raids on the Irish monastery at Armagh in the 800s. The game is played out on a standard Chess board, with one player controlling the Viking raiders, and the other playing the Irish monastic soldiers. The Vikings must move up the board, sacking villages and looting the monastery for its treasure. The Irish must hold the Vikings off until they can eliminate enough of their troops, or build up reinforcements. Players take turns moving troops, and pushing opposing troops into obstacles and other soldiers to eliminate them. The Irish have the home field advantage, but the Vikings have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Components
- 1 Chess Board
- 12 Player Tokens (double sided)
- 5 House Tokens (double sided)
- 8 River Tokens
- 4 Victory Point Tokens
- 1 Stun Token
- 1 Reinforcements Chart

Contest Categories
- Best Heavy Game? It seems like it fits better here than in casual.
- Best Use of Theme
- Best Game with language Independent Components
- Best New Designer
- Best Game

Currently

I have a rules document and icons! This draft includes some clarified rules, diagrams, and better icons. These are the rules as they stand after a few playtests with friends, with some untested changes. You can find the rules here: https://www.chapinboyer.com/blog/2017/4/5/board-game-geek-co.... Just click the download button to grab the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a cool game. Looking forward to its development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the contest!

I like how you are using standard components - will make it easy to play and test.

Good luck!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to reading the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! Can't wait to try it!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read over the rules. Still sounds cool.

I think the rules make sense, mostly. Some diagrams would be helpful. A few things I wasn't totally clear on:

1) For the Viking player to gain the monastery treasure, all they have to do is get to the Irish side of the board? Does that mean on the Irish half of the board, or does that mean across the river?

2) I assume when the Irish player moves 3 river tiles, they only move them forward or backward in those 2 rows, or could they move them diagonal, or 3 spaces to the left, etc.?

3) In set up, WHEN can the Irish player deploy troops to their villages. Immediately in the set up phase, or later?

4) Pieces can move diagonally to cross the river as long as they start and end on a land space?

5) The squares numbered 1-6 are the reinforcement track? So a killed troop reappears as a reinforcement after 6 turns?

Thanks.

PS Could you make another set of pieces smaller, maybe 1.25" square, and maybe "low ink" - just outlines, not all that black background? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey, thanks for the response.

I definitely will have some diagrams. Need to snap some photos first.

1) It means all the way to the far edge of the board. So they need to touch the Irish edge. I will definitely make that more clear.

2) Your assumption is correct.

3) They can deploy a troop that is held in reserve on any turn. It just counts as a move.

4) Yup!

5) Yeah. I forgot that rule piece in the book. A defeated Irish piece is placed on the reinforcement track at the number of remaining villages +1, and moves down one step per turn. When they move off of the track, they are put into reserve and can be deployed on villages.

PS) Yes, definitely. I just printed out a set of these and tried them and the pieces are way too big for most peoples' uses. I will make a smaller set of icons. I grabbed all the icons on a free icon site, so I will see what I can do with the borders.

Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I reversed your icons and will print these out on clear sticker sheets then add them to 1" square plastic "math tiles" I have:

Should make nice pieces for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Pieces made, board set up, and mid-game.

OK, a couple questions:

1) Each turn a player can move up to 2 pieces. Can a player move one piece twice, or does it have to be 2 separate pieces?

2) How does the Irish player deploy troops to villages? I didn't see this in the rules anywhere. (Just saw it in your original post: Place on any village for the cost of 1 move?)

I really like the "form factor" of this game: 28 pieces plus a chessboard, no dice, no cards. It's elegant that way.

I think the rules would be better with more spacing, bullets, numbers, diagrams, rather than a page and a half of paragraphs.

Looking forward to this game as it develops more (or as the rules get clarified).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Oh man. This is awesome. Thank you. I sort of went radio silent there for a bit. Got very busy.

1) It must be 2 separate pieces.

2) And yes. Place a troop on a Village for the cost of 1 Move.

I will dive into the rules and clarify them today. Would it be alright to include the reversed tiles that you made? That seems like it would be a lot better for people's printer ink budgets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOnly wrote:
Would it be alright to include the reversed tiles that you made? That seems like it would be a lot better for people's printer ink budgets.

Please feel free to use them.

They are not perfect. You could get better quality from gameicons.net by just downloading them this way (rather than me manually reversing your images), but these look fine through my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still working on my 2 player pnp for the contest, really hoping to finish it in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks, Scott.

I ended up grabbing some new icons and getting it working. They are in color now, though should still work in black and white. Draft 2 of the rules with a ton of clarifications is up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. The diagrams and other rule changes are nice improvements.

Minor nitpick: some of the wide shots of the boards seem low contrast, or just too dark - hard to see the water icons (pictures under step 4 of Set up, for example).

Overall, looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
That is fair. I took all the shots in TTS because I realized I don't actually own a chess board. Need to get one so I can take real photos using the actual pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I set this up and was going to play, but ran into another question.

"When a Viking Troop would be destroyed, flip it over. If the reverse side shows a Berserker or Chief, that Troop instead remains where it is, and has a Stun counter placed on it."

This rules makes sense when the Viking piece is pushed onto a village. But, what if it is pushed into the water, or off the board, or onto an Irish piece? Does it mean it is flipped in place and the Irish piece that pushed it doesn't physically push it?

And for clarity, in the Victory Conditions section, I'd say "back edge of the Irish side of the board" rather than just "Irish side of the board". I know it's wordier, but otherwise, I think people may get confused and think "Irish HALF of the board" not the back edge.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi again, Scott.

Thank you for the thoughts, and sorry for the delayed response. Work consumed all my time this month.

You are correct that the viking piece remains in place no matter what. If it is pushed into anything that would destroy it, and is flipped to reveal a Berserker or a Chief, all the pieces instead remain in place.

And I like that wording correction. That is a much better way to explain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.