Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up "Welcome Back", and I was a bit disappointing it had no instructions for FULLY combining both games. The answer is easy . . . have a party of 2 adventurers.

*Monster Deck*
Combine both decks together and shuffle in 4 of the special monsters from WBttD. You can throw opaque card backs on them if you want, for completely hidden knowledge. You can also leave the different backs open; it almost adds an additional layer of strategy in my opinion. Seeing your opponent pull out a WBttD card back could mean there is one less special monster.

*Characters*
-Bidding Phase-
You start with 2 fully equipped characters, and can openly pull any equipment when you keep a monster card (putting it in front of you). One character can have 0 equipment while the other still has all 6, no limits there. Other than that, the Bidding Phase" is done the same
-Dungeon Phase-
Remains mostly the same, but you choose which character fights the monster for each dungeon card flip. Choosing before flipping or after flipping. Both work, each offering a different train of thought, so try both. Only one hero needs to survive for a trophy to be awarded. Additional damage beyond what kills one character DOES NOT carry over to the surviving hero.

!! Mimics consider all active equipment from both characters for their ability.
!!Shapeshifters added early can be incredibly powerful, so if you put one in, make sure you bow out gracefully next round (with a sly grin of course)
!!"Text As Written" on equipment cards. Abilities like Necromancer's Reanim Bones, Poss Scroll & Bloody Wand specifically state "When YOU die . . ." or "YOUR new hp . . .". In those cases they are only able to affect the hero the equipment belongs to (Health Potions as well). On the other hand the Ninja's Smoke Bomb simply says ". . . a different Equipment tile.", so you could essentially discard the other Character's tile.
!!Barbarian Torch WILL kill Strength 3 or less monsters from WBttD even though they do not have the torch symbol, and vice-versa. As stated above, "Text As Written" first and foremost. If it says it will kill STR 3 or less, it does.

\Positives/
-I enjoy the longer bidding/dungeon phases. You can really sway the chances by adding/removing a single monster depending on what character combos are out there. But then, with certain combos, you can really trudge pretty deep into the Dungeon.
-Having 2 characters offers tons of variety depending on what 2 characters you choose to party together. Some work great, some not too great . . . but you have a lot more to think about when choosing to draw or pass.
-Ummm . . . YOU CAN ACTUALLY FULLY COMBINE BOTH GAMES!!!

\Negatives/
-Some items are less useful (Mage's Omnipotence)
-Some items are much more powerful (Vorpal items and Royal Scepter)

Enjoy, leave a thumb. Test it out and tell me the combo you did and how it turned out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Forsberg
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of getting this to add to the first one but was put off by not really being able to blend them, so this idea really intrigues me. I'd like to work on expanding number of players as well. If you play with more than four maybe the last two people that don't pass have run the two characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why this is needed... you absolutely can combine the two games by just adding the base heroes into WBttD and playing as normal. The symbols on the monster cards are just for reference after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.