Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
My eldest looked over my shoulder at my browsing and commented, "You sure want a good fantasy game, Dad.". And I do. I've wanted one for a while now. Back in 2014 I posted this thread. And much of it remains true - I still don't have a fantasy game in my collection.

Mage Knight Board Game seems like a close fit, but I am concerned by the potential lack of interaction. Seems you can play the game avoiding one another. Also is seems touch long-running - I think I have an appetite for not much longer then a 3 player game.
Mage Wars Arena is also nice. I feel it is missing a map to explore. And minis. Can it work with more then 2 players?
Mage Wars Academy Obviously the 2 player fix is a concern. How does it compare to Arena?
Runewars is a candidate. I feel it is a bit table-top gamey (which isn't a bad thing, just not what I think I'm looking for). How does the magic play out?
Magic Realm Not yet, thanks.

Any better ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Dunn
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your thread, it seems like you might be open to Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). It plays 2-5 as 1-vs-many or 1-4 co-op with the free Road to Legend app. Definitely has high fantasy, player interaction, and sessions can run in under two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) fits your criteria quite well, but not everyone likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). I play it solely 2 player co-op. It's fun and not too heavy. I actually just painted these today.

I'm new to painting but thought they came out pretty cool. So yes, you can also get into painting with Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let look deep into your collection and recommend some more fantasy games shall we?

7 Wonders - Fantasy Drafting
Agricola - Fantasy Farming rated a 10
Dominant Species - Fantasy Dinosaur Evolution rated a 9
Carcassonne - Fantasy Transportation and Estate planning
Dominion - Fantasy Card Cycling
Puerto Rico - Fantasy Carribean Island Economics rated a 9
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Fantasy Monument Building also rated a 9
Lords of Waterdeep - Fantasy colored cube trading, that's as fantasy as it gets.
Scrabble - Fantasy Word Building

A very fine collection of fantasy games I might add...
I'm sure you would enjoy any one of these excellent fantasy themed games.

They all have great fun filled fantasy themes, and none of the drawbacks of those other nonfantasy games you listed.

How about Fantasy City Block planning? Quadropolis
Fantasy Gem Trading? Splendor
Fantasy Priests Shoveling Dirt? Terra Mystica
Fantasy Canal Building? Bruges
Fantasy Camel Trading? The Voyages of Marco Polo
Fantasy Mancala? Five Tribes
Fantasy Space Exploration and Assassination? Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Fantasy Banking in Space? Eclipse
Maybe you would enjoy Fantasy Monastery Building? The Pillars of the Earth

And best of all:
Each of them has a fresh crisp perspective on fantasy theme, without any of that stale overdone overpushed dime-a-dozen stuff: Magic, Runes, Potions, Mana, Elf, Dwarf, Goblin, Warrior, Thief, Wizard, Healer, Dungeon, Dragons, Demon, etc.

Ok yes, most of my post was done in sarcasm, but we have similar games rated highly, so you might enjoy some of what I listed.
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition) is worth a look! I reccomend the Dice Tower's review if it It's fantastic, and really perfect for 2-3 players. We most just play with 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena is my #1 game. I don't mind the lack of exploration because this is not an adventure game, this is a duel to the death by slinging spells and summoning huge creatures. I haven't played Academy so I don't know how they compare, but I would miss the spells that affect the battlefield (walls, buildings, catapults, poison fog, etc.).

It does work with more than 2 if you buy the extra-coloured action markers (I did!). I've battled a 3 player game and although the board was crowded at times, it was still a great experience.

I own all the expansions except Domination and anything from Academy. I recommend all of it. Game is supported by a companion app that lets you build spellbooks or keep track of health+mana during a game. It has fallen behind a little (it's missing the latest Siren v Paladin expansion), but I hope it's updated soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're looking for a co-op game I recommend Defenders of the Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 Mage Wars. Building the spellbooks and getting to choose any 2 cards in it each turn is just cool.

How about Legends of Andor? It's a Spiel des Jahres winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also give Sword & Sorcery a closer look once it is released in a couple of months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am won over on Mage Wars.

Next question - can I make 4-player work without buying a second base set? Could a combination of base plus expansion cover multiple players?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:
I think I am won over on Mage Wars.
Well, I don't want to talk you out of it, but did you actually look at the gameplay?

Basically, it's 'Magic: The Gathering' with an additional spatial element in the shape of an 'arena' board. Instead of a deck you're using (pre-constructed) 'spellbooks', so you can freely choose which cards to play in a given turn. Combat involves rolling a bunch of dice, and the sole goal of the game is killing the opponent's Mage character.

There's no exploration, no character advancement, and no story.

If you're still fine with that:
PaulEvans wrote:
Next question - can I make 4-player work without buying a second base set? Could a combination of base plus expansion cover multiple players?
Not really; you'll need at least 2 additional player tableaus and sets of tokens. The latter are available separately, but for the former you'd have to improvise.

If you're planning to mainly play with four players, I'd highly recommend to get the Mage Wars Arena: Battlegrounds Domination expansion. It introduces a customizable battle map and a different goal: to control a number of V'tar orbs distributed over the map. To win you need to accumulate a certain amount of V'tar, which is produced by the orbs you control.

Finally, be aware that a game can take a long time, especially with four players. The Battlegrounds expansion alleviates that to a certain degree, but games can still easily take 3+ hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I've looked at the play, My biggest concern is that most of the strategic thinking happens outside of play; but I am very attracted to the direct conflict. Crucially - even if it doesn't work for me I absolutely know the boys at a club I run will love it.
Mage Knight is the other candidate - and I know I would love it; but I feel that it is a touch too heavy to get out often and I am concerned about the potential to avoid conflict. I'm confident Mage Knight will find its way into my collection, but not now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:
Yeah - I've looked at the play, My biggest concern is that most of the strategic thinking happens outside of play; but I am very attracted to the direct conflict. Crucially - even if it doesn't work for me I absolutely know the boys at a club I run will love it.
Very good!
If you're lucky to find a regular group of players, it's certainly awesome.
PaulEvans wrote:
Mage Knight is the other candidate - and I know I would love it; but I feel that it is a touch too heavy to get out often and I am concerned about the potential to avoid conflict. I'm confident Mage Knight will find its way into my collection, but not now.
Mage Knight is a great solo game, perhaps even _the_ best, but it's very heavy and can take a long time (for a full game), so I wouldn't really recommend it with more than 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:

Mind if I recommend my own creation?

The rules are free and the game can be played with as few as 1 miniature per player (and thus with more players) and allows a maximum of 4 miniatures per side - so you will have at best 8 miniatures on the table.
Also, you may choose whichever miniature from any publisher's range you like.

Though it is played with fantasy- and/or pirate miniatures, the scenarios are somewhat "modern", since you get stuff like "capture the flag" or "bombing run" or even a "snoball fight".

Don't let yourself get repelled by the almost 100 pages of rules: The first part is an easily understandable tutorial, teaching you the core mechanics. Then come the rules a bit more detailed and about half of the book covers skills as well as scenarios.

With those rules you get a lot to tinker with, so the replayability is high, since you will always want to try out different options

Big plus: I'm always around, in case any questions come up!

Happy slaughtering and kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as your concerns for Magic Realm there is now a comprehensive tutorial available for it. Should help things along if you feel like going that route.

its in the file section "The Book of Learning"

Best of luck on your quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.