Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I (think) I have 1 copy of pretty much everything for Star Realms... the original, colony, all mini packs ... probably missing a couple promos, but I don't really care, as I already have a little too much...

Which is the problem.. I want it all to fit in the Star Realms deck box I have. It fits almost everything as is... probably have to remove 20 or so cards. Which brings us to the question...

What cards would you remove if you had to remove a couple dozen? Right now I'm planning on killing several of the "kill a card from the trade row" cards (green faction?) because no one ever seems to buy/use those anyway, and I find the action rather underwhelming/boring. But, I should probably remove the same number from each faction to keep the balance. What are your most underwhelming cards from each faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Right now I'm planning on killing several of the "kill a card from the trade row" cards (green faction?) because no one ever seems to buy/use those anyway, and I find the action rather underwhelming/boring. But, I should probably remove the same number from each faction to keep the balance. What are your most underwhelming cards from each faction?

I suggest trimming the number of mini packs you carry. Remove the gambits, cosmic gambits, and/or events.

I also disagree with your assessment of the greens. I'm not sure if you mean Battle Pods or Blob Destroyers, but both are key cards to green. Perhaps no one you play with buys them, but that doesn't mean no one does, it means you should! Green is designed to quickly deal damage while controlling your opponent's ability to mount a defense. Without the trade row control, green will become far more vulnerable to opponents building an economy and buying big cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrapping from the trade row is a powerful tool to control the game, especially if none of your opponents understand that. Play around with it and see what happens.

I assume you've already removed the authority tracking cards? Those eat up too much space.

If you don't want to remove the gambits and such as Darth Binkly suggested, I'd start by removing duplicates of cards. It will mess with the rarities, but keep the variety.

Oh, and if you're a card sleever... take those damn space-hoggers off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
So, I (think) I have 1 copy of pretty much everything for Star Realms... the original, colony, all mini packs ... probably missing a couple promos, but I don't really care, as I already have a little too much...

Which is the problem.. I want it all to fit in the Star Realms deck box I have. It fits almost everything as is... probably have to remove 20 or so cards. Which brings us to the question...

What cards would you remove if you had to remove a couple dozen? Right now I'm planning on killing several of the "kill a card from the trade row" cards (green faction?) because no one ever seems to buy/use those anyway, and I find the action rather underwhelming/boring. But, I should probably remove the same number from each faction to keep the balance. What are your most underwhelming cards from each faction?

I have two of the flip boxes.

Crisis + original Gambits + Y1 Promos + Star Realms fits in one.

United + Colony Wars + Cosmic Gambits + upcoming Y2 promos fits in another.

I plan on buying a third flip box when the next base set comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda want to keep all the mini packs, since they add variety and game modes... I'd much rather just get rid of the cards in base and colony that don't really add much to an already oversized deck at this point.

Thanks for your comments on the greens, though... I will look at that strategy more. I'll probably remove some of those, but will surely keep most.

And yeah, the score cards were the first thing to go. With the number of cards in this box, heck, can just use a bunch of the currently unused cards to keep score. Or a pencil and paper. Most likely, though, I'll use an app.

Unfortunately I still need to get 2 sets of starter decks to support up to 6 players, so that's 20 more cards I'll have to cull from the base/colony. I don't really want to buy another copy of base just for the starter decks, though, so maybe in 6-player games I'll just mod the starting hands... give each player a couple Explorers from the start?

Anyways, thanks for your input guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dombrovsky
Ukraine
Kharkov
Colorado
flag msg tools
zenpunk wrote:

Unfortunately I still need to get 2 sets of starter decks to support up to 6 players, so that's 20 more cards I'll have to cull from the base/colony. I don't really want to buy another copy of base just for the starter decks, though, so maybe in 6-player games I'll just mod the starting hands... give each player a couple Explorers from the start?

Some explorers works fine. We tried.
Then I just printed two starter sets and put them in sleeves with unused event cards. Or event+characters it was. Doesn't matter. You want to remove some, so transform it into starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got you fam. Problem solved, well in a month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:

Heh.. cool, but, no. The whole idea is to conserve every cubic cm of precious shelf space. I'm sticking with the smaller branded box as my max size.

In the end, I was able to fit everything in the box by only removing the score cards, all the duplicate hero cards (which I kind of like thematically, unless the heroes are supposed to have identical twins ), and a couple of the redundant rules/help cards. So, the set still feels pretty complete.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:

Heh.. cool, but, no. The whole idea is to conserve every cubic cm of precious shelf space. I'm sticking with the smaller branded box as my max size.

In the end, I was able to fit everything in the box by only removing the score cards, all the duplicate hero cards (which I kind of like thematically, unless the heroes are supposed to have identical twins ), and a couple of the redundant rules/help cards. So, the set still feels pretty complete.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Most obvious answer then is to stop buying new sets.
Especially since the game will keep growing if Star Realms: Scenarios is to be believed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:

Nonsense, the average American home can hold thousands of Star Realms long boxes. It is simply a matter of prioritizing correctly. I mean, do you really need other games when all you should ever want to play is Star Realms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Doesn't solve the problem of the asked question, but yeah, my Star Realms collection is complete. Unless they add dice... those I can't resist. I'd put Star Realms in an Ogre box if it was dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Doesn't solve the problem of the asked question, but yeah, my Star Realms collection is complete. Unless they add dice... those I can't resist. I'd put Star Realms in an Ogre box if it was dice.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd look at what cards people tend to never or almost never buy. Personally I prefer a quite slim deck (the sweet spot for me being between 80 and 110). I started a thread on slimming the deck some month(s?) ago, and have since experimented a lot. When choosing what cards I have in my deck, and what I skip, I tend to go by the following:

- I skip cards that I almost never see bought. In my deck, there are neither Trade Wheels nor a Junkyard.

- I minimize or skip cards that are rarely bought, or that are bought only because they are better than literally nothing. In the current deck, there's no survey ships, no storage silos (though I contemplate adding a single), and only one imperial fighter.

- I minimize cards that I feel are superceded by similar but better alternatives. In my current deck, there are no federation shuttles and only one frontier ferry.

- When it comes to cards with unusual or unexpected mechanics, I either include as many as possible, or exclude them completely. I play with a lot of new players, and prefer not having to remind them all the time about odd quirks or force them to read a lot on the cards; one of my favorite things about Star Realms as opposed to Hero Realms is that most of the cards are elegantly text-light, and most of the text that is is the same for all the cards. Cards I've excluded in the current deck due to these things include Repair Bot, Mega Mech and Supply Depot. I like those cards (apart from Mega Mech), they're just not really worth it. On the other hand, I use the Incinerator despite it being more complex than Brain World, because I think the fun outweighs the work.

- When choosing among the high-cost cards, the deck limits I use mean that I'll only have four 8-costers and four 7-costers, so I tend to pick those that are the most fun and varied; currently, the setup is Mothership, Leviathan, Imperial Palace, Emperor's Dreadnought, The Wrecker, The Incinerator, Central Office and Command Ship.

- When just out to reduce the numbers, I tend to prefer variance to elegance; one each of missile bot, defense bot, and warning beacon may be less elegant than 3 x Missile Bot, but it's more fun in my opinion.

Note that the power of cards depend on the meta they exist in, and as such when designing a curated deck, be aware that certain cards can be a lot stronger or weaker than they at first appear to be; the Falcon is a perfectly acceptable card in Colony Wars, but if moved to an otherwise unaltered core it would be at about the same level as the Survey Ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post... thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.