27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: trucks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
When a truck is hit, does it draw from the vehicle cup? If so what does a gun damaged marker do to a truck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:
When a truck is hit, does it draw from the vehicle cup? If so what does a gun damaged marker do to a truck

This is a non-obvious rule, but trucks and wagons draw from the infantry cup due to their red infantry defense numbers even though they have vehicle movement stats.

BTW, I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that explicitly states this. Foot units are those described as having red movement stats. Uwe mentioned this in a thread over on the solo expansion which is only how I know.

Edit: to be clear, Uwe was speaking of wagons which have red defense values but so do trucks so one can assume it applies to them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
trucks do draw hit marker from the vehicle cup.
If a truck as a 'gun gamaged' hit marker, then it cannot attack units with the same Defence Rating color as the color of 'gun who is damaged'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
padraic49 wrote:

This is a non-obvious rule, but trucks and wagons draw from the infantry cup due to their red infantry defense numbers even though they have vehicle movement stats.

BTW, I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that explicitly states this. Foot units are those described as having red movement stats. Uwe mentioned this in a thread over on the solo expansion which is only how I know.

You sure about trucks and wagon drawing from the infantry cup, sir?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
padraic49 wrote:

Well... He was speaking of wagons and their red defense values. Trucks also have red defense values. So ... you tell me.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25159926#25159926
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the rulebook Trucks and Wagon are vehicles and thus draw hit marker from the vehicle cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
maedhros wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
padraic49 wrote:

Well... He was speaking of wagons and their red defense values. Trucks also have red defense values. So ... you tell me.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25159926#25159926

So Wagon from the foot hit marker and truck from the vehicle hit marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Argh... CoH is so often recommended over other WW2 tactical games because of its supposedly simple clear easy rules, yet this kind of basic inconsistent confusion (which really leaves people unsure in scenarios) comes up frustratingly way too often, a lot more than with the other WW2 tactical games I've played. :/

Quote:
7.4 Hits
When an un-hit unit takes a hit, its player draws a Hit Marker
and, without revealing it to his opponent, places it face down
under the unit that has been hit. Pull hits against Foot Units
from the shared Foot Hit Marker draw pile and pull hits against
Vehicles from the shared Vehicle Hit Marker draw pile.

16.0 Trucks and Wagons
Trucks and wagons represent
vehicles designed to move other
units and supplies over roads.

Hmm, trying to resolve the apparent contradiction with the linked comment of Uwe (that Wagons use Foot hit markers), I note that rule 16.0 does not literally say that Trucks and Wagons ARE vehicles, only that they "represent vehicles".

I wonder if we are supposed to read that as implying that they are not really vehicles, but that they are in fact Foot Units which only "represent vehicles" in some sense...? shake

More likely is that they are exceptional vehicles (due to their red defense values, instead of blue defense values), with nothing to explain or mention this, and that Rule 7.4 SHOULD have said something like this:

My hypothesis of what rules 7.4 should have said wrote:
7.4 Hits
Pull hits against units with red defense values (typically but not necessarily Foot Units)
from the shared Foot Hit Marker draw pile and pull hits against
units with blue defense values (typically but not necessarily Vehicles) from the shared Vehicle Hit Marker draw pile.

But I don't know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, Russ. Right there with you on a rewrite to 7.4. That's how I'm playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some units have both RED and BLUE defense values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:

Uh-oh. We're going to need a bigger rule revision!

(obscure "Jaws" reference...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be like this:

Units with GREEN movement values (wheeled veichle units) draw hit markers according to to the colour of their defense values.
RED = Foot hit marker (example: Truck/Opel)
BLUE = Vehicle hit marker (example: BA-10 Armored Car)

Alternatively:

Wagons are the only vehicles to draw Foot hit markers.

I think this calls for an official answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
marcuslind1 wrote:

Not THAT obscure...

Wagons are not vehicles really. They are simply wheeled devices with no power or weapons -- pulled by horses, right?

Trucks are vehicles, do have their own source of power. But are they armed (not looking at a counter).

Hard to damage the guns of an unarmed unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
russ wrote:
marcuslind1 wrote:

Not THAT obscure...

Wagons are not vehicles really. They are simply wheeled devices with no power or weapons -- pulled by horses, right?

Trucks are vehicles, do have their own source of power. But are they armed (not looking at a counter).

Here's the exact quote:

wrote:
Wagons have RED defense values, so pull from the Foot hit counter pool.

What does logic tell you to do with the red defense trucks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
russ wrote:
marcuslind1 wrote:

Not THAT obscure...

Here's the exact quote:

Quote:
Wagons have RED defense values, so pull from the Foot hit counter pool.

What does logic tell you to do with the red defense trucks?

Same thing it's said to everyone else... never argued the point. In fact, I just stated that in spite of being vehicles, they should probably be pulling from the foot damage counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, nobody is arguing the point here. I'm just agreeing with Russ that there's more confusion here than needs to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
russ wrote:
marcuslind1 wrote:

Not THAT obscure...

Yay! (You never know with kids today...)

Quote:

Which is a vehicle! Horse-drawn vehicles (aka wagons) are a thing...

And the rules even seem to call them vehicles (unless one wants to interpret "represent vehicles" to mean "but are not really vehicles"). And they only appear in the rulebook in the later sections full of Vehicle rules, in the same specific section (section 16) with Armored Personnel Carriers (which also "represent vehicles").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad... I was going with the more modern vernacular...

Officially: "a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is one example where the rules are very confusing. Clarity would improve if Chapter 16.0 (Trucks and Wagons) clearly stated that these units should draw from the Foot Unit hit marker pile, emphasizing that this is an exception. It would also be a good idea to repeat this detail in 7.4 and 15.2 (Foot Unit and Vehicle Hit markers, respectively) to alleviate confusion.

The red defence rating alone isn't a valid explanation, since red defence rating is defined as a "soft target" vs. blue as a "hard target" (Chapter 7.0), and neither soft nor hard target is mentioned with hit markers anywhere in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sahava wrote:
Yeah, this is one example where the rules are very confusing. Clarity would improve if Chapter 16.0 (Trucks and Wagons) clearly stated that these units should draw from the Foot Unit hit marker pile, emphasizing that this is an exception. It would also be a good idea to repeat this detail in 7.4 and 15.2 (Foot Unit and Vehicle Hit markers, respectively) to alleviate confusion.

The red defence rating alone isn't a valid explanation, since red defence rating is defined as a "soft target" vs. blue as a "hard target" (Chapter 7.0), and neither soft nor hard target is mentioned with hit markers anywhere in the rules.

I agree this would be a case where an exception rule would be more appropriate than a long winded explanation of red/blue defence values.

Now I have to persuade my opponent that my Panzerkampfwagens only receive an infantry hit marker whistle whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my part I prefer to have an "Immobilized" Truck/Wagon rather than a "Pinned" one.
Subtil difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the third edition could add "truck/wagon damage damage chits"?

Or you could just simply roll a die and on a '1' the truck or wagon is not destroyed? Maybe a '2' is just immobilized?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a third edition planned/confirmed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, he's jesting (I think). But still no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.