Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » General

Subject: Desert Tanks details revealed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The GF9 Tanks page has detail on the new Desert War tanks.

http://tanks.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/173/Default....

I'll give you the bad news now...May / June delivery... cry

Although the cards are shown so you could get a head start with the El Alamein starter set if you were so inclined. The models are identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
Although the cards are shown so you could get a head start with the El Alamein starter set if you were so inclined. The models are identical.

I already had that thought. The Grant is cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though you don't get the crew/upgrade cards, five tanks in the El Alamein box for $31 and change seems like a good deal. Plus some tank commander figs for the tanks, and terrain sheets. Too bad they didn't throw a Honey in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gives me something to look forward to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
Though you don't get the crew/upgrade cards, five tanks in the El Alamein box for $31 and change seems like a good deal. Plus some tank commander figs for the tanks, and terrain sheets.

I did think it was a bit of a marketing opportunity lost not adding a few cheap cards to encourage the sale of the box to non-Flames of Wars players or to give Flames of Wars players extra options with their tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there any link between the Flames of War people and the GF9 people? The El Alamein set seems the way to go; I might even get two if I can get them cheap enough. Throw in a Tiger and a couple of Honeys and I would be set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
earache wrote:
Though you don't get the crew/upgrade cards, five tanks in the El Alamein box for $31 and change seems like a good deal. Plus some tank commander figs for the tanks, and terrain sheets. Too bad they didn't throw a Honey in there.

Yesterday, my son and I played using the El Alamein tanks and printouts of the unit cards from the GF9 website, adding a Tiger. It played quite nicely. The only problem is that the base game of Tanks has no faction specific crew and upgrade cards for the UK. Of course, individual tank blisters don't normally carry such cards, do they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
The only problem is that the base game of Tanks has no faction specific crew and upgrade cards for the UK. Of course, individual tank blisters don't normally carry such cards, do they?

The individual GF9 Tank blisters is where you get the tank and nation specific crew and upgrade cards. And the kit sprues are the same as the new FoW/BF plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
Is there any link between the Flames of War people and the GF9 people? The El Alamein set seems the way to go; I might even get two if I can get them cheap enough. Throw in a Tiger and a couple of Honeys and I would be set.

I suspect if you go up in the ownership chain, they are the same people. However, from a tanks-player point of view, the sprues are identical so the main trade-off is getting the cards in Tanks sets or often crew figures and decals in the FoW releases.

One thing that does help is to look to Battlefront / FoW website for assembly instructions. They are typically more detailed than the Tanks version. Sometimes you can even find blog posts that outline assembly in detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flames of War box sets seem to be a good deal for Tanks players. Lots of tanks for a modest price tag, and you have the rules for FoW as well. You don't get the Tanks cards, but they are available online so I suppose you can print & play them if you wish.

I just fund the FoW: Open Fire on Amazon for £30 6 x Sherman V, 2 x Firefly, 3 x Stug and assorted soldiers and scenery. I will probably house-rule for infantry and anti tank guns and add them in for some extra fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
asobu wrote:

I just fund the FoW: Open Fire on Amazon for £30 6 x Sherman V, 2 x Firefly, 3 x Stug and assorted soldiers and scenery. I will probably house-rule for infantry and anti tank guns and add them in for some extra fun.

We bought Open Fire for the extra tanks as well. To incorporate the guns and infantry, you can look at the organized play scenarios availabe on the Tanks website. Their are tokens for bunkers and trenches, which are essentially troops in cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is now early June and I checked a game store and no sign of the desert stuff that was supposed to be released in May or June. Does anyone know anything about release dates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was a teaser in the GF9 forum today:

While I can't really speak to every grievance you've listed I can definitely tell you that we haven't forgotten about TANKS and haven't given up on the game by a long shot.
We have been very busy with other projects in the studio, but I apologise for not making time to come and chat on here. I know that the silence has made things seem more dire as time has ticked by.
I can tell you that we've got a cool announcement coming this week about the next batch of TANKS stuff. But I can't really spoil it here I'm afraid.

So stay tuned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.