Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone! Not a LOT of convincing, mind you. But I'm a bit apprehensive for a probably dumb reason or two.

I'm more a fan of AT games than I am of Euros. So there's that right up front. I was just on the CSI website and read the description of the game. It includes the dreaded term "elegant" twice to describe the mechanics. Totally a personal matter, but that term makes me want to retch when I see it describing any game mechanics. gulp

So someone talk me down. Am I going to miss a cool dungeoncrawl experience because it has elegant Euro stuff in it? I've read good things about it and the game looks pretty sweet. I just need a nudge one way or the other.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Hi, everyone! Not a LOT of convincing, mind you. But I'm a bit apprehensive for a probably dumb reason or two.

I'm more a fan of AT games than I am of Euros. So there's that right up front. I was just on the CSI website and read the description of the game. It includes the dreaded term "elegant" twice to describe the mechanics. Totally a personal matter, but that term makes me want to retch when I see it describing any game mechanics. gulp

So someone talk me down. Am I going to miss a cool dungeoncrawl experience because it has elegant Euro stuff in it? I've read good things about it and the game looks pretty sweet. I just need a nudge one way or the other.

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't be overly concerned by the description of the rules as "elegant". It's an interesting euro mechanic, but applied in a clever way to dungeon crawling. It's a really good game that elevates Ameritrash thematic fun.

The things I would pay more attention to, are:

1) the map tiles are NOT modular, making it more difficult to create your own scenarios, if you care for that sort of thing.
2) the theme is definitely on the darker side of fantasy. Check the Kickstarter page for more information on the setting and tone.
3) it's pure co-op. Unlike so many other Dungeon Crawls, no one has to play the Overlord.

On a separate note, if you think you'd like this game, you may want to consider springing for one of the Kickstarter editions of the game (disclosure that we sell the "mid-level" Deluxe edition of the game with the Witch's Grotto Expansion). The Witch's Grotto expansion and the Hideout Expansion are not available separately, and it's not clear when they will be re-printed. They are NOT KS Exclusive - just limited availability at the moment.

On a more uplifting note, the publisher DDP is working on the standalone expansion Perdition's Mouth: Soul Spire. If you really enjoy the core game, Soul Spire should keep you happy for quite a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has certainly created more of a puzzle than other dungeon crawlers, but when you pull off a good balance of tactics (using the limitations of the rondel) it's very satisfying.

One of my group mentioned it lost some immersion, precisely because being used to "move and hit" dungeon crawlers, it's instead odd that each characters actions are limited by what other actions people are electing to do, but for me I was happy to look past this and really enjoy the mechanisms of a game like this. And I love dice chucker dungeon crawls, but this was kinda special.

I wonder about the fixed board structures, but have been happy with playing the earlier scenarios twice each so far, each time taking different approaches with different squads. I also really love the campaign idea - only 8 scenarios in a row, but you roll over any wound cards in your deck (and treasure) and any threat increases from fleeing acolytes. This gives a slowly ramping up difficulty that feels like early mistakes come back to bite harder the longer you go. E.g. you don't level up, so much as get worn down. Have't continued past scenario 3 yet, and we're all in quite good shape, but I can see the difficulty curve catching up with us in that last scenario, and I wonder how cruel the next scenario will get...

Anyway, I really like it. It's something fresh. This and Gloomhaven have both given me dungeon exploring experiences that push Descent and other dice chuckers to the back of my mind. And the theme is very unique and special, which adds to the experience in my mind (no orcs !)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'euroness' is primarily from the Rondel and Hand management. I think most dungeoncrawlers these days have some form of hand management so there's nothing new there.

The thing you need to decide is how much you like the Rondel mechanic.

I love it. It is refreshing and makes cooperation and discussion center around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! Ben, I've also been intrigued by Gloomhaven. I fear that the problem with both of these titles is my current lack of table space. They both look pretty sprawling to me.

I did see that copy of the game on your website, Mike! Looks like this would be a good way to go if the Really Big Version is unavailable. I've recommended your site to several folks after you hooked me up with the KS version of Dreamwell. Really appreciate your help in finding that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Am I going to miss a cool dungeoncrawl experience because it has elegant Euro stuff in it?

YES you are going to miss on a really cool dungeoncrawl experience!
Not necessarily because the mechanics are elegant (a term which is a bit subjective) but because their approach in this game is fairly unique.
There definitely is some puzzle aspect to it, trying to make optimal use of what heroes can achieve through the rondel mechanism and smart card play. Maybe this will turn you off if you enjoy "lighter" gameplay that does not engage your brain too much, but this is really what drew me into this game.
I personally consider what Perdition's Mouth has done to the Dungeoncrawl genre a revolution similar to what Mage Knight did to the Adventure genre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you miss a cool hardcore dungeon crawler. But yes, because of Puzzle aspect of the game the immersion comes from the mechanics and not from the theme itself.

But I really love this game. It feels very unique. But beware: The rules are not that easy to get into. But the game is worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at Gloomhaven as well. It has a legacy-type campaign system that looks cool; but, PM far outshines it as far as the combat system goes. PM has less character development overall, as characters are weakened by wounds throughout the campaign, and "level down", rather than "leveling up".

So, if you're looking for more of a grand strategy game, I would get Gloomhaven. But, if you like a richer tactical experience, go with PM.

Of course, you could solve the problem by just getting both ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:

Of course, you could solve the problem by just getting both ....

Now all I need is a bank loan... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are worth the loan devil Both of them are unique and extremely fun to play.

We in the community are always happy to solve you a dilemma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
Both games are worth the loan devil Both of them are unique and extremely fun to play.

We in the community are always happy to solve you a dilemma.

And I do appreciate it. My wallet is protesting, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well,I received the gamers bundle of the game Tuesday.and been playing it since.without Doubt one of the best solo experiences ive had with a game ever!!.its well,up there with the likes of Mage knight ! its really that good.lots of stuff in the box it will keep me going for a long long time.and hopefully we will have another expansion or two out by then?

DONT THINK....BUY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the Gamer's Bundle is the way to go. No idea where to find one, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure in the US got my bundle from the EU site...maybe Timo or one of the guys can help you? oops forgot to say,you get both expansions with the gamers bundle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

*Quick edit...just checked out the company website and they have the Gamer's Bundle available for $169. Pricey, but might be worth getting. They have a place at checkout for a promo code. That sounds promising! But I don't have one. shake Anyone know if there's a valid promo code to use? Shipping will be $22. Not bad at all, but brings my total to $191.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Thanks!

*Quick edit...just checked out the company website and they have the Gamer's Bundle available for $169. Pricey, but might be worth getting. They have a place at checkout for a promo code. That sounds promising! But I don't have one. shake Anyone know if there's a valid promo code to use? Shipping will be $22. Not bad at all, but brings my total to $191.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The KS price for that bundle was $160 (but with free shipping). I doubt there is a way to drop it any lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
believe me..you get a lot of stuff in the gamers bundle
I don't think you got both expansions with the KS..only if you bought it extra.but you get BOTH with this..well worth getting.i got it Tuesday.hasnt been off my gaming table.loving the game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
I don't think you got both expansions with the KS..only if you bought it extra.but you get BOTH with this..well worth getting.i got it Tuesday.hasnt been off my gaming table.loving the game!!

Gary, makes me very happy to hear that you like the game. Our whole team has been pushing hard for years to make something different for dungeon crawlers. Seems like we succeeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
tootz wrote:

Gary, makes me very happy to hear that you like the game. Our whole team has been pushing hard for years to make something different for dungeon crawlers. Seems like we succeeded.

You did. Amazing game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
***Quick update...I just snagged a copy of the game! WOOOHOOO!!! CSI just started their 15th anniversary sale. They have the retail copy for $59.99. surprise Too good to pass. Hate to miss out on the expansions, but I'm sure there's plenty of game in the base set to keep me busy for a good while.

Thanks for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And with all likelihood, there will be expansions and eventually we might reprint the WG and HO, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! That is great news! Thanks, Timo. Really looking forward to getting going with the game. It is the only game I actually bought cards for (the pack sold in the BGG store) BEFORE I owned the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Sweet! That is great news! Thanks, Timo. Really looking forward to getting going with the game. It is the only game I actually bought cards for (the pack sold in the BGG store) BEFORE I owned the game.

Wow. A real fan! I feel honoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
yosemite wrote:

Wow. A real fan! I feel honoured.

I read the reviews and have been watching the videos. The game looks like a fresh and truly amazing experience. I was looking to order an item at the BGG store and, when I attempted to checkout, it gave me a message that I had not tallied the minimum amount required for an order. (Didn't know there was one!) At that point, I did some browsing and found the cards for your game. So I took the plunge!

They have been sitting on my coffee table, waiting for a game box to arrive that they can inhabit. And it will be here soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.