Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

'65: Squad-Level Combat in the Jungles of Vietnam» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Expansion Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Autieri
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I say what's on my mind, that's why I'm silent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, I've looked through the forum and didn't see answers to my questions. So I'm listing them here in hopes someone can assist.

I played the first scenario today, Rescue Rambo (and his cat!). It was great fun but along the way I had questions that I couldn't get answered in the rules or FAQ. They answers may be staring me in the face, but I just didn't see them.

You have to add to the draw cup not only the indicated troops, but also a Random Event chit and two 2X chits. What is a 2X chit and what does it do? I just thought of this now, but does that mean I draw two units for the MM?

For the Random Event, I just pulled a solitaire card and executed the random event. So question: do I put the chit back in the cup or is it "done?"

Related to the random event, I pulled it after scoring a hit on an MM. So was there nothing there? I pulled another chit to get a rifle team and placed it under the MM with a shaken marker. I think the rules indicate to do this. Did I play it right?

When a MM is moved, I assume it gets marked with a move marker so I could get the bonus to hit it later on. It's not stated in the rules, but I assume this is correct.

I'm a bit shaky on this one... in the example of play they show an NVA RPD drawn. The write up then says something like "since this an RPD we add (or draw -- can't remember) a rifle team to it."

Is there some rule for this? I've only seen this in the example of play for solitaire and nowhere else in other rules or the PAC.

Those are my questions. I hope someone can help. This game is awesome, and the solitaire expansion is great in that it's like its own game. It's not just some tacked on thing. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koinsky
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Here is my go to answer your questions. Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong, I find the solo rulebook incomplete and confusing in many circumstances...

Quote:
You have to add to the draw cup not only the indicated troops, but also a Random Event chit and two 2X chits. What is a 2X chit and what does it do? I just thought of this now, but does that mean I draw two units for the MM?

rulebook (p 7 - 24.c) "If the pulled chit reads “X2”, pull two more chits, if they are Communist units place them in the hex with the revealed Mystery Marker"

Quote:
For the Random Event, I just pulled a solitaire card and executed the random event. So question: do I put the chit back in the cup or is it "done?"

I don't see anything into the rules to answer your question. I don't put it back into the draw cup when playing.
However, rules state "If the pulled chit reads “RE” resolve a Random Event by pulling the top Solitaire Card on the deck and executing the Random Event listed, and then pull another chit from the cup." (P 7 - 24c). So, I pull another chit out of the draw cup.

Quote:
Related to the random event, I pulled it after scoring a hit on an MM. So was there nothing there? I pulled another chit to get a rifle team and placed it under the MM with a shaken marker. I think the rules indicate to do this. Did I play it right?

see above. You have to pull another chit. And yes, the unit is shaken because you scored a hit. So, everything is fine.

Quote:
When a MM is moved, I assume it gets marked with a move marker so I could get the bonus to hit it later on. It's not stated in the rules, but I assume this is correct.

another information missing into the rulebook....
Nothing (except a vague indication into the example of play and common sense) explicitly says if unrevealed MM does receive a move or fire marker after action.
However, it wouldn't make sense if it didn't, IMO (Except if it's intentional not to put a marker in order to give an advantage to unrevealed marker to compensate the fact that it's fairly dumb; but I'm not the designer and can't read his mind...) Therefore, I put such markers after it has moved or fired.

For a revelead MM, since the associated unit(s) behave as per standard rules, I definitely put a marker on them.

Quote:
I'm a bit shaky on this one... in the example of play they show an NVA RPD drawn. The write up then says something like "since this an RPD we add (or draw -- can't remember) a rifle team to it."

Is there some rule for this? I've only seen this in the example of play for solitaire and nowhere else in other rules or the PAC.

Seems like you might be missing a paragraph in your rulebook, since the answer is in the same already mentioned (p 7 - 24c)
"If the pulled unit is an RPD, pull a Rifle unit and place them both (RPD and Rifle) in the hex."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Autieri
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I say what's on my mind, that's why I'm silent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koinsky, thanks so much for your thorough reply. It was very helpful. I'm not going to blame the rule book for a missing paragraph, since it seems pretty clear that I didn't read everything as carefully as I should have. whistle

So thanks for this and I'm going to go back and highlight these passages so I don't forget in the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koinsky
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You’re most welcome.
Don’t hesitate to post other solo questions in this thread when/if they appear. The rules are still fresh in my brain; I’ll do my best if I can help.
It also clarify my own understanding (or not) to write things down
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Harris
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good Morning,

My name is Josh and I work for Mark here at Flying Pig Games. I am a tester as well as a scenario designer. I will be assisting Mark here on the forums.

First off, I want to apologize that you had difficulty with the scenario. However, I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the scenario.

Now in regards to your questions, I just looked through the rulebook and want to give you some clarity. Some questions have already been answered and will mark as such.

1.Already Answered.
2.Once chits have been pulled from the cup, they do not return to the cup. When I played, I set them to the side of the map once they have served their purpose.
3.Yes, MM are played just like other units in how they are marked. If it moves, it gets a moved marker and so on.
4.Already Answered.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to post any additional questions that you may have if they present themselves.

Josh.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Autieri
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I say what's on my mind, that's why I'm silent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Josh! I really embarrassed myself by not re-reading the book again before posting. Most of my questions were already answered in the rules. Rookie mistake of mine. The other two were not, so I appreciate the clarity. I really like this game, both the solo and PvP rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.