• [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreeing with Wawrzyniec on this one. When my wife and I play two players it takes a solid 2.5 hours, but we draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played quite a few times and easily finish 3 players in under 90 minutes. Once you know the iconography this plays quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without corporate era cards (included expansion) and starting production at 1,the numbers are realistic. With corporate era cards you have to add at least half an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 90min will be the fastest games you have. I can't imagine being 90min or below on a regular basis. Maybe a basic game without draft. But with draft and Corporate Era cards, ~2.5h seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrezCon held its first Terraforming Mars tournament last February, and in the heat I was in, we were given a two-hour time limit -- no turn could begin after the 115-minute mark. I didn't think would could complete a 5-player game of TM in that time (and we had a first time player), but we did. We played without Corporate Era and without card drafting.

I played with card drafting for the first time last Saturday (5-players; 2 first timers) and it does add quite a bit of time -- I want to say 30 minutes. I think it can be a bit overwhelming for some (not all) first time players.

I have yet to see a TM game come in under two-hours, but I imagine that if experienced players kept play moving a good pace and did not use card drafting, it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player count for this game doesn't affect the playtime since the end game triggers require the same number of total actions. Your scores will typically be higher in a game with fewer players since you are dividing those actions by fewer players.

We can play a game with corporate cards and no drafting in under 2 hours if we try, but our games are typically 2.5 - 3 hours with drafting if we're not rushing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are in the 2.5 hour range, no drafting, no rushing, and some occasional chit-chat breaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wawrzyniec Bonk
Poland
Rybnik / Żory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:
The player count for this game doesn't affect the playtime since the end game triggers require the same number of total actions.

Yes, it Does, but not "linear" as most of the time in other games (30 min per player etc), because still other players make their own decissions and tactics, and many moveas are not towards rising Temp/Ox/Oceans

From my experience, full-advanced game(Cor Era, Draft, +0 prodyctions etc) is 2-2.5h(2p) vs 3-4h(5p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the_Bzyk wrote:
SaraCV wrote:
The player count for this game doesn't affect the playtime since the end game triggers require the same number of total actions.

Yes, it Does, but not "linear" as most of the time in other games (30 min per player etc), because still other players make their own decissions and tactics, and many moveas are not towards rising Temp/Ox/Oceans

From my experience, full-advanced game(Cor Era, Draft, +0 prodyctions etc) is 2-2.5h(2p) vs 3-4h(5p)

Our experience from the long period of beta-testing shows that game plays roughly same time for 3-5 players, but usually longer for 2 players (!), which may sound confusing.

The reason is that whith more players, you play the game in fewer generations, which means less research and production phases with more players. So even if Mr. Bonk is right that more players also means more actions spent on other things than terraforming, it still means playing fewer rounds. On top of that, if you are more players you have a chance to plan your turn ahead - on 2 players you do much of your thinking on your own turn, which drags the game! Another thing that makes 2-player longer is that you gain so much momentum that the last generations become very long! So much resources and so much fun to spend them on...

But 2-player game can also play faster of course, if we have 2 focused players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this game looks so incredible, I just know the wife would never go for a 2.5-3 hour game. We just don't have the time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also an official variant mentioned in another thread that you can speed up the game by having, at the end of each generation, the first player picks one of the 3 main game-ending counters (temperature, oxygen, oceans) to increase by one level, but they do not get any direct benefits from doing so (like Terraforming Rating, or money for placing next to oceans, etc.)

This speeds up the game, and also is a bit of a tactical decision to make. I think I'll be using this variant a lot to speed the game up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First 2 player game took us about 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
There's also an official variant mentioned in another thread that you can speed up the game by having, at the end of each generation, the first player picks one of the 3 main game-ending counters (temperature, oxygen, oceans) to increase by one level, but they do not get any direct benefits from doing so (like Terraforming Rating, or money for placing next to oceans, etc.)

This speeds up the game, and also is a bit of a tactical decision to make. I think I'll be using this variant a lot to speed the game up a bit.

That sounds interesting, do you happen to have a link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25230535#25230535
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
First 2 player game took us about 4 hours.

That was the case with the very first game my wife and I played, but the very next 2-player game only took 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gf and I play just the 2 of us, we play with the Corporate cards, no drafting, and our last two games went 4hrs apiece. I have no idea how anyone can get 2.5 or lower on this one. Its one of the very few games we have that can run long, but because its so much fun and engaging throughout, we dont mind it one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
My gf and I play just the 2 of us, we play with the Corporate cards, no drafting, and our last two games went 4hrs apiece. I have no idea how anyone can get 2.5 or lower on this one. Its one of the very few games we have that can run long, but because its so much fun and engaging throughout, we dont mind it one bit.

Oh, it's all about player focus, I'd say. And make sure to know next turn before player before you are done. Also with experience of the game, you will play a lot faster.

But in many cases You really don't want that focused play because of the social part of playing board games! A four hour game might be just what you want at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The play time of this great game just flies by for me. The only time I've noticed it feel long was with 5p, since you get to do less individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience TM plays quickest with 3 or 4 players. You can plan your actions during other players turns. Therefor there's more flow and less time in which no actions are taken than in a 2p game and less time in which you are just waiting than in a 5p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with five first-time players last night. Despite all our messups, we finished in just over two hours.

We played the beginner's game with beginner corporations. I think that a two-player game of "regular" version of the game (without the corporate era cards) could consistently play in under two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is an efficiency game so the better you get at it, the faster it will go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.