Gerardo Bolanos
msg tools
During the action phase, when using ranged attacks trying to achieve suppressed results, must all ranged attacks on a hex be declared before resolving? If yes, then say I am planning on attacking 2 different hexes, do I have to declare ALL ranged attacks on both hexes before resolving for any hex?

Similarly, during the Combat phase, it is clear that all offensive and defensive support for an upcoming combat must be declared before resolving. How about ranged attacks from phasing units into hexes with enemy troops that could potentially provide defensive support to the combat? (These phasing units will not be participating in the combat)Do these attacks need to be declared before resolving or can I do one at a time as that unit's single action? The idea being to suppress enemy units to prevent them from being able to provide defensive support on the upcoming combat.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Gerardo,

I'll try and give you a call tonite.

In the Action phase, assaults need not be declared before resolving ranged attacks, but all ranged attacks against a given hex must be declared before resolving any of them. This way, you can see if you have success before attempting an assault. (However, there was a new optional rule in the latest C3i that made it so you HAD to declare all assaults in advance....a rule I will probably not be using. This would be really chaotic and bloody....because those ranged attacks don't always pan out.)

As for combat phase, your thinking is correct, and along good strategic lines. The attacker cannot ranged attack the hex he intends on combating. He can only do this as "support".

But he definitely CAN, and SHOULD attempt to suppress potential enemies that could potentially provide defensive support, before declaring a combat.....if possible.

Don't forget that friendly units block line of sight for direct fire ranged attacks unless you are firing from higher elevation.

We're going to have a good game...

Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Action Phase, you should declare all ranged attacks against a given hex before assaulting that hex. You don't have to declare all ranged attacks everywhere on the map for the entire phase, though. The idea is that you shouldn't be able to commit ranged attacks one at a time, willy-nilly, until you achieve exactly the correct number of Suppressed results, and then conduct your Assault against the hex.

If the fire is not part of the ARC then yes, you can declare non-supporting ranged attacks individually against a given target hex. The only restriction during the Combat Phase is that all supporting fire against a hex must be declared prior to the Combat. So you couldn't, for example, declare several non-supporting attacks against a hex, see what happens, and then declare a Combat against that hex. Once you've made a non-supporting ranged attack you can no longer perform a Combat against that hex during the same Combat Phase.

Ranged attacks as part of the ARC are never included in the restrictions (in any phase). So to use your Combat Phase example... Let's say you declare offensive support from a couple infantry companies two hexes away from the target hex. As soon as one such company resolves its fire, an enemy AFV unit that is not in the defending hex can use Return Fire on your infantry company. One of your units (that was not declared for offensive support) could then Return Fire against the firing unit. This is allowed because it is part of the ARC; it does not have to be declared ahead of time because it is reactionary in nature. This would be true even during the Action Phase. Note, however, that one of the two involved units must be a vehicle for the ARC to occur. So an enemy MG unit could not fire at your infantry company in our example(as part of the ARC) because both units involved are leg units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the Action phase, all ranged attacks need not be declared before resolving. This way, you can see if you have success before attempting an assault.

Bryan, see the following from 3.0 Sequence of Play:

Quote:
Player One Action Phase

All indirect fire against a given hex must be declared before any is resolved; Return Fire against previously targeted hexes is allowed later in the phase.

You are correct, though, that Assaults need not be declared in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh crap, Mark. I've been playing correctly....I confused declaring Assaults in advance with declaring Ranged attacks. Must be because I was reading about the new optional rules the other day.

But, I thought that ALL ranged attacks had to be declared against a hex- not just Indirect ones?

My understanding is that you can see if the ranged attacks are successful before deciding to assault, but if you use the new optional rule from C3i, you can't because you have to declare the assaults in advance...so you may be stuck in a losing situation.

I'll modify my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Bryan. The inclusion of the word "indirect" in 3.0 was to prevent players from calling in their off-map artillery barrages one at a time until they achieved exactly the desired result.

Let's say you're planning on hitting a German-held hex with an Assault but you want to soften it up first. You might declare, for example, indirect fire from three 25-pdr batteries, one SP 25-pdr battery, and two of your four heavy mortar platoons. You have to declare these upfront and before rolling any dice. Your MG platoon, though, could still fire afterwards because it uses direct fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah. Okay Mark. Thanks. That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.