Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Henri Duteau
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this a ton on the iPad with the App, but after playing it "live" at my FLGS, I decided I wanted to own the actual game itself. I have the Unseen Forces expansion as well as the Gates of Arkham, but I played the original game just to see how it went. Four-hand-solo with Harvey Walters, Jenny Barnes, Dexter Drake, and Darrell Simmons. They took on YIG. I think I made one Mythos mistake, but I also missed using a clue token for one of my investigators, so I think it worked out. I defeated YIG with three Doom tokens left to go.

Gameplay: The Outer World adventures gave me half of my Elder Signs. Dexter was the powerhouse at the beginning with his spells and unique item. Send him to adventures that give spells and you are constantly rich with those. Darrell didn't fare so well at the beginning as my first Mythos card was either a doom token or a 3 damage and I decided to have him take the damage. He then suffered quickly and I had to send him to First Aid. After taking on an adventure that blessed him, as well as giving him some clues, he ended the game for us.

Review: All in all, I actually like this better on the table then on the app. I can see things more easily on the table. I actually played Gates at the FLGS, so I know that that makes it even better. I want to play a bunch more times before I get the two Omens expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jduteau wrote:
All in all, I actually like this better on the table then on the app.

While many people seem to like the app (i detest it!), i have yet to hear anyone say they prefer the app over the tabletop version.

jduteau wrote:
I actually played Gates at the FLGS, so I know that that makes it even better.

That's the general opinion of GoA (not mine, though - i detest it, too ).

jduteau wrote:
I want to play a bunch more times before I get the two Omens expansions.

OoI and OoD are both very similar to each other (in terms of setup and rules), and both provide a very different experience than the core game, more akin to (but distinctly different from) GoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Game and App and I prefer the App to be fair. I like both but I have played the app far more and I absolutely prefer the computer to control all the bits and pieces of the game. Naturally I am talking only of the solo version. The board game is for playing with others, on my own I reach for my tablet and get the app going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.