Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone understands how deluxe dino meeples SG works? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had, before I blacked out: the thick smell of asphalt. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont understand the use of dino meeples. Especially what happens if the unlocked dino SGs are lets say half the actual dino recipes of the game. Do the play any part for actually visualizing the correct type of dino created or not. So if we have unlocked 7 dinos and there are 14 recipes how do you represent the other 7 with generic meeple/cubes and tgen u have only some cool ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dino Meeples are basically "generic" representations of the dinos in your park. In the retail version, there will only be one type of dinosaur maple to use for all the recipes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had, before I blacked out: the thick smell of asphalt. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, then what hapens if unlocked strech goal meeples are less than the number of different dinosaurs of the game?
Do you use only the unlocked and for the rest generic ones? this seems really bad. Will have an unfinished look to it. maybe i wont back the deluxe then. Ill wait for the retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, each dino meeple stretch goal met adds 2 meeples to the total (which starts at a base of 50). Divide that total by the number of dino stretch goals reached, and that is how many of each type of dino meeple you will get in the deluxe game.

The dino meeples were never designed to correspond to the actual dinosaurs in the game. As mentioned above the retail game will come with all the same dino meeples...stegosauras I think?

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Each Dino Meeple will add additional Dino Meeples to the box *and* change the distribution of Dino Meeples to make them even. So, if we unlock 4 Dino meeples each meeple will be 1/4th of all meeples in the box, *and* the total meeple count will go up by 2 meeples each. So, you are going to be unlocking both additional meeples *and* additional variety of meeples as the campaign goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekskafeas wrote:
Yes, then what hapens if unlocked strech goal meeples are less than the number of different dinosaurs of the game?
Do you use only the unlocked and for the rest generic ones? this seems really bad. Will have an unfinished look to it. maybe i wont back the deluxe then. Ill wait for the retail.

I thought it to be an extremely odd choice, myself. I dropped my pledge. Competition is too strong and lots of times you have to split hairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. One of the reasons I dropped my pledge too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dennis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not backing the deluxe because there are still less dinomeeples than there are unique recipes. These things are only aesthetic as it is so what is the point if you still have to use a generic one to mark some spaces? If you take those away there aren't enough other deluxe goals to justify the price hike and the shipping cost (metal coins = heavier box and I can't really use dino themed coins in any other games I own). So in the end if you aren't getting deluxe there really isn't any incentive to back this. I'll probably get it at retail when it is cheaper and it really does look like a good game.

I'm also a little annoyed by the endless fawning over Jurassic Park. I get that this is an inspiration but can you not find *anything* dinosaur related to excite you what doesn't draw directly from that movie? I loved it too but I was getting excited about dinosaurs when I was a little kid in the 70s (which also made me too old to care about pogs in the 90s but that is another story...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Fitzpatrick
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ditto for me, dropped also, if you look at Pandasaus games previous games they all had HUGE <70% discounts at various OLGS. so the lack of true value adding stretch goals plus a $80 price caused me to drop. Will get at retail later. Also there are SO MANY awesome looking Ks projects with killer value adding stretch goals on KS right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the metal coins, 4 additional cards, purple die and beaker meeples were enough to keep me as a deluxe backer. Plus having all of the dino meeples will make the game look much cooler.

If you don't think having different looking dinos in your park matters, just use wooden cubes gulp. This is a euro game with heavy thematic integration, so the varied dino meeples in the deluxe edition are important to me, even if they're not functionally relevant, nor align with all of the species in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panos
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i dont mind playing with cubes. I just dont like people mistaking me for a fool selling me a useless laser cut dino for a stretch goal. i would rather they have use the stretch goals for something that matters. And i dont get your attitude dude. if you like playing with useless dino meeples good for you. Companies need backers like you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
FWIW, the metal coins, 4 additional cards, purple die and beaker meeples were enough to keep me as a deluxe backer. Plus having all of the dino meeples will make the game look much cooler.

If you don't think having different looking dinos in your park matters, just use wooden cubes gulp. This is a euro game with heavy thematic integration, so the varied dino meeples in the deluxe edition are important to me, even if they're not functionally relevant, nor align with all of the species in the game.

Yeah, well, to me that makes the game very much NON thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:

How is it thematic to only have dino meeples fitting to half of the dinos in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a minor thing IMO. You have 8/9 different types of dino meeples to be represented in your park, but that's not all you get with the deluxe version. You get more content as well, like coins, the VIPs and other stuff.

If you think it's not worth the extra 20$, it's fine. But it's a bit odd thinking that you're going to have all the dinosaurs represented in meeples, that would become almost a miniatures game, and that's not what they went for.

If you want aesthetic, buy the retail game and add dino minis of your choice later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horus83 wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

How is it thematic to only have dino meeples fitting to half of the dinos in the game?

For me, it's enough to be able to place a dino meeple on the board versus placing a cube. Having several dinos to choose from allows each park board to look different, and allows players to grab their "favorite" sculpts. Not having it match the exact dino that I created is not a thematic deal-breaker for me. Besides, the African tree frog DNA that I used to plug the holes in the dino DNA may make my Triceratops look like a T-Rex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.