Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I noticed on the last Lock 'n Load press release that owner David Heath actually has a BGG avatar that's a wargame counter with his face on it

David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Now, just for fun : in what game would you like to have a counter that represents you, with your image on it or not etc. ?

I've once been told that I have a somewhat passing resemblance to the French Napoleonic marshal Davout, and since I happen to think he was Nappy's best marshal I wouldn't be displeased if a counter representing him had my mugshot on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I only got my name on a counter yet...
Mugshots will only happen with tactical games, won't they? There'll be actual pictures (photos, paintings, busts) of any General for most periods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I lack the grizzled demeanor of a hardy WWII leader or the resplendent facial hair of an ACW general. So, I don't know, can any one think of any games that are in need of an image of a waifish peasant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
Mugshots will only happen with tactical games, won't they? There'll be actual pictures (photos, paintings, busts) of any General for most periods.

Which game ? Having a a counter with your name is pretty awesome too of course - as this is a "use your imagination thread" anything goes - here's an idea : how about you as a figure in a historical miniature game ?

Incidentally : the idea that portraits or busts are supposed to resemble the actual features of the person portrayed is post-Renaissance. Roman busts for instance were supposed to display the (desired or) real characteristics of the person. Emperors on coins also never aged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

the resplendent facial hair of an ACW general.

I reckon I could pull that off with some creative pruning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
So, I don't know, can any one think of any games that are in need of an image of a waifish peasant?

Cry Havoc had peasants in it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

I sport a rather large handlebar moustache, so my ugly mug wouldn't look out of place on a counter in any game from the mid-to-late 19th Century up to the end of WWI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put my face on XXIV Panzer Corps from Russian Front

Why? Don't know really. All I can say is for some reason ever since I started learning about the Russian Campaign, the XXIV Panzer Corps has always been my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still want my Up Front vanity card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe would be amazing. The game is played a lot and the AARs would be even more interesting to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjmelen wrote:
Combat Commander: Europe would be amazing. The game is played a lot and the AARs would be even more interesting to read!

True, but to a certain extent aren't you incentivized to be reckless with your heroes in Combat Commander? Wouldn't be too many happy endings for mjmelen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like to earn an ASL leader counter someday. Maybe with my old Italian name (it would need two counters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Critical Hit occasionally offers the opportunity to have your name (or Grampa's name - whatever) on a leader counter for their ATS and ASL-comp stuff. I've never bothered to request one but I have a load of leaders named Gallo, Heinle, Dorman, Garello...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I noticed on the last Lock 'n Load press release that owner David Heath actually has a BGG avatar that's a wargame counter with his face on it

David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Now, just for fun : in what game would you like to have a counter that represents you, with your image on it or not etc. ?

I've once been told that I have a somewhat passing resemblance to the French Napoleonic marshal Davout, and since I happen to think he was Nappy's best marshal I wouldn't be displeased if a counter representing him had my mugshot on it.

When I play tactical games with leaders, Squad Leader-Flying Colors for example, I always make leader counters for my opponent and myself to replace leaders in the scenario. Then I take special satisfaction in eliminating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

For me that would be elephant from Successors: chubby and unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:

Which game ? Having a a counter with your name is pretty awesome too of course - as this is a "use your imagination thread" anything goes - here's an idea : how about you as a figure in a historical miniature game ?

Incidentally: the idea that portraits or busts are supposed to resemble the actual features of the person portrayed is post-Renaissance. Roman busts for instance were supposed to display the (desired or) real characteristics of the person. Emperors on coins also never aged.

Well, QE2's silhouette didn't change either on coins or stamps and she's definitely post-Renaissance...

My name on a counter is below in #71...

As for other games, I guess a leader counter in some 80es alt-hist Nato vs. Warsaw Pact game or a sort of Next War game were nice, preferably for a Bundeswehr leader...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schaefer
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I earned my own penal battalion, while serving as a Army Group commander in a Gen Con demo of Europa a while back. I forgot to check one of my subordinates defenses, and saw that he violated the "no panzer divisions in the front line" rule for the 1943 scenario. When the Russians attacked that turn, they cacked all three of his Divisions, and almost broke through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have my own counter (technically block) for Gettysburg Badge of Courage. It's a CSA version of Berdans Sharpshooters but with my name on it, I got it kindly after use of my review for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am told that I am a Ned Flanders look-alike so I suspect there is a Simpsons boardgame out there with my near-likeness on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses has a nice block:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

A bit of a shame it has a lion and not a squirrel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After play testing "G.I.", the 4th Squad Leader module, my friends and I got our names on leader/hero counters. See my avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a wargame, but my two brothers when they were teens used my APBA Pro Baseball game, and made up cards for themselves and me. All three of us were all-star caliber sluggers. Pretty generous in my case, since in baseball I was bad field, no hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picture my face on one of the British General standees in Washington's War- either Howe or Burgoyne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vogt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an American 6+1 leader in the Rising Sun ASL module.

All I had to do was playtest a couple scenarios, spend 6 hours proofing maps for the map pack, and slip Chas $100 under the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.