Subject: Design Challenge: Pyro rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my Mastermind I wanted to continue populating teams like the Brotherhood, and Pyro was the one who I thought should naturally be next, this one is highly WIP, I wanted to build him around Fortify/Artifact effects and the Ablaze keyword by svenmother.

Ablaze means that a Villain set Ablaze has -1 damage. This damage is stacking getting -1 damage each time they are set Ablaze in a turn. If reduced to 0, they are defeated as per normal.

Here is the 1st draft, constructive criticism welcome:

Pyro
Brotherhood

Flamethrowers
Ranged
4 Cost
1 Attack
Fortify a Villain in the city. While it's fortified, it is set Ablaze. At the end of your next turn, put this card in your discard pile.
Brotherhood: You may Fortify the Mastermind instead.

Flame Manipulator
Covert
4 Cost
Artifact - Once per turn, you may move any one Adversary in the city that is Ablaze to any other city space (swapping places if necessary).

Note: I thought about giving this card 2 recruit so that it would have some use outside Ablaze Villains. The 2 recruit of course would only be usable on the turn it's played. But I feel if I do that, I should give him a card that lets you send Artifacts to the discard pile.

Wall of Flame
Instinct
5 cost
0+ Recruit
You get +1 Recruit for each Villain and Mastermind that is Ablaze.
Ranged: Fortify a city space. While it's fortified, Villains in that space are set Ablaze. At the end of your next turn, put this card in your discard pile.

Caution: Flammable
Instinct
8 Cost
5 Attack
Fortify the Mastermind. While it's fortified, the next time a Master Strike is played, all players ignore this Mastermind's Master Strike effect, then this card is put in your discard pile. At the end of your next turn, put this card in your discard pile.

Technically, I guess Flamethrowers should be an Artifact judging by the name, the the effects for it and Flame Manipulator coincide better with their names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
Let's play together! - Legendary DXP
badge
I don't tell people what to do on their turn, I might as well be playing by myself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Ablaze keyword and the fortify aspect. I just feel like it's not very useful especially against the Mastermind if you just discard the card at the beginning of your next turn. I am thinking from a solo perspective here. In a solo game the Ablaze keyword would be worthless unless you are trying to gain extra recruit via Wall of Flame.

This card could work well with multiple players but you would mostly just be helping other players and not have any victory points to show for the work that you did(setting Mastermind/Villain Ablaze causing -X attack).

I really do like this keyword but I propose that you change this line:
Quote:
At the beginning of your next turn, put this card in your discard pile.

To This:
Quote:
At the end of your next turn, put this card in your discard pile.

This would make it so you have a chance to make use of the Ablaze'd? Mastermind and Villains. Great for Solo and it would make the risk of setting Mastermind/Villains Ablaze worth it instead of just helping the other players steal all the victory points.

Just my 2 cents, in the end these are your custom cards, I think these are pretty good otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with changing beginning of your turn to end of your turn, I was just following Luke Cage's Fortifying rare for that beginning of your turn line.

Thanks for the feedback.

And now that I've posted my ideas for Shadow King, one of his cards might be a big help with these recruit-heavy characters I've been posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like these. I was worried that the cards would be too much for their power, as many don't seem to realize how buff things that weaken Villains' attack power can be (note), but your costs strike me as sane.

Pyro doesn't do much for me as a Hero or Villain, but this strikes me as a good representation of him.

Note: One very memorable card was essentially Star Lord's Element Guns but at half the Recruit cost. Does anyone think they're too expensive?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for the feedback, and here's the cards:

And second, comparing Star-Lord's Element Guns to a handful of other official cards, cards that give a guaranteed 2 Attack seem to cost 3 or 4, whereas Star-Lord's Element Guns only grant you a shard which could be used for +1 Attack, but only if you spend it as soon as you get it, so it does seem it might be a bit overpriced, maybe it should've been a 2 or maybe a 3 just for the fact that it is an Artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Added to the Marvel Master Database!
...and removed from the most wanted list.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.