Hide
11 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter vs Retail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Collins
msg tools
What are the differences in the two versions? The campaign page isn't super clear about what is in the retail vs. the kickstarter version except a few pieces. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the cost to get the kickstarter version or just buy retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arhat00 wrote:
What are the differences in the two versions? The campaign page isn't super clear about what is in the retail vs. the kickstarter version except a few pieces. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the cost to get the kickstarter version or just buy retail.

I'd wait for the kickstarter reprint. If memory serves, it should be up in a few weeks and the idea was to get us the game before GenCon. But I might be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost nothing.

There were two KSer versions.
One with minis for the heroes and one with standees for the heroes.

The retail version has minis for heroes. Essentially the retail and the Kser with minis are identical.

The only other difference is that the KSer versions came with a thank you note.

Note that all monsters in all versions are standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim MacDow
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Outside US & Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vinceness wrote:
Arhat00 wrote:

I'd wait for the kickstarter reprint. If memory serves, it should be up in a few weeks and the idea was to get us the game before GenCon. But I might be wrong.

Just been listening to a recent interview about this. He said he's hoping to have it ready for Gencon. My guess is it will be a month or so after, there's usually something that causes a delay even though it's just a reprint for the most part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait for the reprint :
* sturdier box
* dials for XP/HP
* updated rulebook and scenario book

You got nothing to lose except for the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Arhat00 wrote:
There was one teeny tiny difference -- the KS version has a 'thank you' note in it. That's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An add on question, if I could. I bought a copy from a third party. The game came in the shipping box. The shipping box was labeled Retail. Did the KS mini version also have this same kind of label? I ask cuz the seller said it was a standee version. There are some envelopes I haven't opened, so don't know if the TY note is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
An add on question, if I could. I bought a copy from a third party. The game came in the shipping box. The shipping box was labeled Retail. Did the KS mini version also have this same kind of label? I ask cuz the seller said it was a standee version. There are some envelopes I haven't opened, so don't know if the TY note is one of them.

The standee version has a standee in each of the class boxes and a bag of clear stands for them:

The thank you note is the 3"x5" card with a decoding chart for the rune symbols.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:

The standee version has a standee in each of the class boxes and a bag of clear stands for them:

The thank you note is the 3"x5" card with a decoding chart for the rune symbols.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm trying to figure out the seller's confusion selling me the miniature version. I figure the outer shipping box labeling may provide some illumination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
cbrua wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I'm trying to figure out the seller's confusion selling me the miniature version. I figure the outer shipping box labeling may provide some illumination.

There are two miniature versions. The KS miniature version (with the thank you note), and the retail one (without the note).

There is also a KS version with standees for the characters instead of miniatures, but still has the thank you note.

So, three versions total. 2 KS versions, 1 retail version. All of them look the same on the outside, as far as I am aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:
cbrua wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:

There are two miniature versions. The KS miniature version (with the thank you note), and the retail one (without the note).

There is also a KS version with standees for the characters instead of miniatures, but still has the thank you note.

So, three versions total. 2 KS versions, 1 retail version. All of them look the same on the outside, as far as I am aware.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.