Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Starship Troopers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Alone against the bugs rule clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Having trouble understanding mapping. Under "terrans and tunnels" point 1 it reads (third sentence) "the tunnel will exit the currently occupied hex through the corresponding hexside." What does this mean? Does the scatter diagram not also include length? It seems here that the entire tunnel would just be 1-hex radius from the breach. I must be misunderstanding something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tunnels zigzag across the map.

You roll for each hex entered, one after the other, so for example, for a 6 hex long tunnel if you rolled 3,4,4,5,4,6 (With 1 being 'north' on the scatter indicator), the tunnel would go 1 hex south-east, two hexes south, one hex south-west, one hex south and finally one hex north west.

If the roll indicates going back the way you came, (e.g. a roll of one followed by a roll of 4) then the tunnel ends in a brain cell. Any future double-back rolls just indicate a dead end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OK I'm being dumb here but what tells you it is. 6-Hex length (or whatever) unless they all are? and what tells you that one of the directions is 2 hexes long as opposed to 1 or 3 or 4 or whatever? My reading of rules is that they are no length (just one hex) and also no sense of how big under ground (in your example you know to roll 6 times). But how do you know this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my memory serves me correctly, and I do not have access to the rules right now, every time you want to advance further in the tunnel you roll a die. The die roll tells you which direction the tunnel advances. In other words, you only advance one hex at a time so it is not known when you enter it how long the tunnel will be. The first time it tells you to advance back into the same hex, the tunnel ends and that is where the Brain is located. The tunnel can zig zag and continue on for a long time until you roll that advance back result. It also means it could be one hex (at least I don't remember there is a tunnel length minimum but could be wrong there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly so; the tunnel also ends if it runs out of available directions (you normally reroll if it would enter an existing tunnel).

There is a copy of the article in the files section, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.