Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Godfrey Bailey
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Following are the two exceptions where the rules allow the movement of the Objective Marker and Planned Objective Marker outside the normal orders procedure. Note the "even if it is already in play" phrase:

Quote:
4.3 BRITISH SEND ORDERS SEGMENT: One order may be sent from Long directly to a brigade of batteries in the same area (unless its Objective Marker is showing ’Fail’ or 'Long gets Moving' chit on Long). Immediately place the Objective Marker in the designated area even if it is already in play. Remove any Planned Objective Marker.

Quote:
BRITISH EVENT CARD The 2nd English Brigade’s Objective Marker (unless showing ’Fail’) may immediately be placed in any area no further than 5 areas away from its leader, even if it is already in play. Remove any Planned Objective Marker and return the chit to the cup.

So new orders cannot normally be sent to a leader if his objective marker is in play (either on the turn & status track or on the map). Orders can only be changed in these circumstances if a brigade is activated by an event, a brigade successfully carries out an emergency withdrawal or by Long.

G.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules Clarification
gbailey wrote:
...So new orders cannot normally be sent to a leader if his objective marker is in play (either on the turn & status track or on the map)....

G.

Hmmm, I came here looking for help on what happens if I want to change the orders for a brigade before the Leader has made it to the Objective marker. What I 'm seeing here is I can't, but that begs some questions if you don't mind.

First, why not? Not in terms of game mechanics, which I'll ask about below, but in terms of modeling.

Second, where/how is this in the rules? 4.3 says to place the Planned Objective Marker POM where you desire, then roll if arrives or lost. Since a unit that already has an Objective Marker OM on the map has a POM off-map available, I don't see why I couldn't try to change orders...other than the mechanics, which brings me to....

I did just as described. Brigade has current OM still one area away. I placed the POM in a different area, rolled for successful arrival. Since the Brigade Leader was two areas away from Buller at the moment, put the OM on the turn track for next turn.... now, come the movement phase, the Brigade has no OM to move towards, so they are stuck in place? That makes no sense, I'm thinking the actual dispatch runner has not arrived yet (hence why the OM is on the turn track) and I would think they'd keep going towards the initial OM, which is now removed though...

So mechanically I suppose it is easier to say you can't issue new orders to a Brigade that already has them (absent the exceptions you noted), but well...why not? and where does it say that?

Also, suggest retitling this thread (edit your initial post to change title) to something like "Changing Orders"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the title of this thread should be changed. It’s too general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ask Godfrey to change the title, if he can, and answer your question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geoff999rugby wrote:
I'll ask Godfrey to change the title, if he can, and answer your question

That would be great. Changing title is easy, but no obvious. He'll have to edit the first post, that will do it

Do you prefer questions here or on CSW? I asked a different question on CSW this morning and will limit myself to whichever forum you prefer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike I'll happily answer both.

You go with which every suits you best, keeping them to one or other would be appreciated though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see title changed by Godfrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Godfrey...good job on changing the title! +1thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.