Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: ConnCon 2017 Play Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Britt B

Connecticut
msg tools
mb
Hi all. I was the facilitator/teacher at ConnCon for two of the three sessions of Rebellion last weekend. I thought I'd do a brief session report about what I saw and what the players thought. I've never done a session report before so please forgive me if I miss anything.

Session 1: Two players, both new to the game, played first game setup without advanced rules.
Game took over 4 hours, one of my players was working very hard to make sure he was understanding each mission and assigning the best leader to it. He was playing the Rebels and was working the diplomacy leads to more units angle. No real interest in sabotage or using quick strike missions. Was definitely trying to meet the Empire head on militarily and then try and let the turn meter come to him. The Empire player used a spread out and subjugate approach trying to eliminate bases and push the Rebels toward the corners of the map. The rebels managed to take some key systems and hold out for 6 turns, but at that point the Empire had mobilized multiple directions each turn focusing most of his leaders on activation rather than missions. The missions he did complete were mainly to obtain projects and eventually he had his Death Star in orbit around one of five or six planets he was sure they were hiding on (Tatooine) and activated the super laser. He guessed correctly and the game ended.
In retrospect, I should have advised the Rebel player to not force the military issue. I like to give choices whenever possible when teaching a new game, so I said nothing but in this case I think he painted himself into a corner, as soon as the empire started subjugating every planet they checked, I should have advised him to try a sabotage mission.

Session 2: Four players, all new to the game, first game setup without advanced rules.
This game was a little more than three hours. The Rebels took a much more balanced approach to their missions, they attempted sabotage and diplomacy and they opposed the Empire any time they had a decent chance to prevent them from making headway with missions like Rule by Fear. The Empire took a military buildup and deployment approach attempting to control planets that gave them more diverse and plentiful resources. Unfortunately, the Rebels rolled blanks on multiple occasions when attempting or opposing missions. On one occasion, they were attempting a mission with an opposing leader already present. The opposing leader had no matching icons so all they had to do was roll one positive result on three dice, they rolled three blanks. It was hard to watch at times because these guys were playing very very hard and were thinking through moves in order to try and maximize result and force the Empire to consolidate a bit but could not pull off the rolls. Unable to sabotage successfully or to wrestle imperial controlled worlds due to poor rolling, the Empire eventually began to close in. They made the decision (with some bad advice from me) to empty the base and make a stand before the base could be reached, this would give them an opportunity to move the base on the next turn, but it didn't work, the Empire came from a different angle and reached an empty base the same turn.
I felt pretty bad in this one, the learning curve on what would be most effective was steep for the Rebels. Around turn 3 one of them looked at me and said, "I get it now, I wish we could start over so I could do it right this time.", I thought their approach had merit, it just never got traction because of the rolling. I also pretty bad for advising them to try and empty and move the base, I should have just told them to move it and let the guys on the planet fend for themselves, but with the board shrunk quite a bit, it might have made no difference.
Wit this experience under my belt and more mistakes corrected, I'm looking forward to our next Con (FalCon in October) and hope to run it a couple more times. Hoping that this time we can try the advanced setp and give players a little more flexibility in the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

"In retrospect, I should have advised the Rebel player to not force the military issue. I like to give choices whenever possible when teaching a new game, so I said nothing but in this case I think he painted himself into a corner, as soon as the empire started subjugating every planet they checked, I should have advised him to try a sabotage mission."

Could you go into detail about why you thought a sabotage mission would have been a good response to this situation? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
babisson wrote:
Unfortunately, the Rebels rolled blanks on multiple occasions...

Those blankety-blank dice weren't doing me too many favors yesterday, either. soblue

Thank you for this thoughtful session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Britt B

Connecticut
msg tools
mb
Sorry for the late reply, been busy.
In this particular case, the Rebels were trying to engage the Empire head on as the Imperial fleet was spreading out to try and locate them. The Rebels thought they could slow their advance by meeting them head on and thinning their numbers at a key spot, but the Empire was generating way too many resources on the planets they were hitting along the way. Consequently, all the gains made meeting them head on were wiped out in a turn or two. Had they instead run a few sabotage or unit destruction missions, they might have slowed the production of ships and troops and been better off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.