Subject: How many minis make it worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amber Sbriglio
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ever since I saw the Godzilla Daikaiju model I have been musing over the idea of pledging. That being said, I cannot justify dropping $100 on a single model. With that in mind, I can certainly see myself happily owning a number of other models in the kickstarter. But this begs the question... independently of the game, how many desired sculpts would make the game worth it to you?

Let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None, I'm buying it for the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oniryu246 wrote:
Ever since I saw the Godzilla Daikaiju model I have been musing over the idea of pledging. That being said, I cannot justify dropping $100 on a single model. With that in mind, I can certainly see myself happily owning a number of other models in the kickstarter. But this begs the question... independently of the game, how many desired sculpts would make the game worth it to you?

Let me know!

I would compare to Bones KS campaigns for a baseline. Like the poster above me. Sans gameplay, I don't care how many miniature there are I wouldn't even be looking at the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:

+1. A streamlined take on Diplomacy is always welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amber Sbriglio
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game does look interesting and something I'd enjoy. Problem is I don't have faith I can get a group together to play. Thus I'd, more likely than not, be getting this for the fun of painting and/or using them in Warhammer or something. My question is more of a "worst case scenario where I don't get to play" sorta thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Plastic minis like these run about $2-5 for people size, something like the daikaiju might be $5-10. So if you were buying it for the minis there should be enough sculpts that you want that you'd be actually willing to spend $100 if you walked into a store to buy them. If you wouldn't spend that much in a store on just the selection of minis you want from the kickstarter you should skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

I think that those who are buying this game because they believe it will be remotely like Diplomacy are bound to be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of Rising Sun and am backing it ... but I'd say Rising Sun has more in common with, say, Struggle of Empires than Diplomacy.

As to the OP, I guess that's your call. I've heard rumors of people paying over $100 for the Fenrir model from Blood Rage (the single model, that is). If the one model is all you want, then you might be able to buy the pledge, then sell everything but that model for a large chunk of that pledge cost. Or, if you're lucky, for more than the cost of the pledge, making your model free. (Don't count on that happening, though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amber Sbriglio
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Plastic minis like these run about $2-5 for people size, something like the daikaiju might be $5-10. So if you were buying it for the minis there should be enough sculpts that you want that you'd be actually willing to spend $100 if you walked into a store to buy them. If you wouldn't spend that much in a store on just the selection of minis you want from the kickstarter you should skip it.

Great and helpful point. Does this hold true for the Kickstarter exclusives like the Daikaiju and Phoenix models? (since the availability post campaign will be less)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
oniryu246 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

Great and helpful point. Does this hold true for the Kickstarter exclusives like the Daikaiju and Phoenix models? (since the availability post campaign will be less)

You can sell your pledge for more than 100 bucks if you want to in a year.

The minis are more than worth it if you want to paint and display them.

Lots of people think the game will be good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oniryu246 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Plastic minis like these run about $2-5 for people size, something like the daikaiju might be $5-10. So if you were buying it for the minis there should be enough sculpts that you want that you'd be actually willing to spend $100 if you walked into a store to buy them. If you wouldn't spend that much in a store on just the selection of minis you want from the Kickstarter you should skip it.

This is a hard question to answer exactly, but as someone above me already pointed out, a specific KSE model, such as Fenrir from BR, can go for hundreds of dollars after the campaign:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...grDMAAOSwfVpYtdU0

Then again, if all you want is a wolf mini, then there are much cheaper options:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wolf/sku-down/77202

At the end of the day, these minis are just a hunk of plastic that's really only worth a couple of bucks in terms of raw material. It depends on how invested you are in the plastic being in a particular shape...

Usually you want that particular shape because it's a game component that helps with the emersion of the game.

There are other Godzilla miniatures in the world:

https://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Figures-Godzilla-Action/s?i...

As it stands now, there are 39 unique minis (if my math is correct) and 57 total minis.

Only you know if that's worth 100 bucks...

Personally, if there is no game to go with it its just a bunch of plastic to me. But then again, as someone else already suggested, you might be able to make it all back by selling just one of those KSE minis.

And then again, they might totally over-produce this game and it isn't as popular and then the minis aren't going to be worth that much. No body really knows yet.

EDIT: oh and before anyone gets upset at me, those were just examples that took me very little effort to produce. I am not making any kind of comment about the quality of the minis in the game, which I am sure will be exceptional, I am just making the point that most of the value of such an item is in the eye of the beholder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
oniryu246 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

Think of the exclusives as being limited edition. How much extra would you pay for a limited edition if you bought it in a store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's crunch some numbers:

Assuming you only care about unique mini's (as opposed to sheer number), each clan has 4. (Daimyo, Shinto, and 2 different bushi) for a total of 24 sculpts from clans alone. (You can add 1 more if you want to include strongholds)
The core game appears to have 8 monsters, bring the total to 32.
15 additional minis have been unlocked via stretch goals for a total of 47.
We still haven't finished unlocking all the Kami for the 'Kami Unbound' expansion(?)/variant, and it's probably safe to say they intend to give us all of them by the end of the campaign, so we can add another 4.

That gives us a total of 51 unique sculpts for $100, or $2 each, (Cripes, I want to paint them and that is going to take a LONG time...) or if you only care about the monsters and kami, 27 sculpts for a little shy of $4 a piece.

If you want to go whole hog, Dynasty Invasion gives 2 new clans and 7 God Monsters for a total of 15 unique sculpts at about $3.33 each.

If you only care about *some* of the sculpts then the evaluation is up to you. There may be some after market for piece meal KS exclusives if you wanted to sell the ones you don't want, Fox clan in particular would probably be in more demand, followed by some of the more flashy monsters, (Phoenix, Sacred warrior, Daikaiju). However I suspect that after the success of Blood Rage most people who would be interested in this game will already have backed it, and there will be more KS copies floating around on the market as more people have bought extras to sell, so the market may not be as hot as some people hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
oniryu246 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

You can sell your pledge for more than 100 bucks if you want to in a year.

The minis are more than worth it if you want to paint and display them.

Lots of people think the game will be good too.

This is also something to consider. While the exact value is anyone's guess, you should be able to sell all the bits and pieces you don't want after picking out what you do want. Even things like the rules book, tokens, cards, and game board can go up on ebay as separate listings that will sell if you're patient enough. Replacement parts can get people pretty excited when they need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
matthean wrote:

I think that those who are buying this game because they believe it will be remotely like Diplomacy are bound to be disappointed.

GoT board game is known for being a play on Diplomacy and yet plays very little like it. RS is a spiritual successor to Blood Rage and yet plays rather differently. I don't expect RS to play like Diplomacy. I expect it to feel like it. At some point you make plans based on an alliance and that alliance can go away sooner than someone expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
100 dollars to KS this game sound like a pretty sweet deal, looking how much we already get with base game + unlocked strech goals. There are plenty of Retail games that cost close to a 100 dollar that have way less mini's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:

Bingo. But to put a little more thought into this, these "models" do add gameplay and $100 is a steep price for a game. Almost double what I paid for Blood Rage. I needed a little bit of incentive to get behind this game. Now monsters don't fully contribute much to the game. For all their fancy models, they essentially are just 1 card in the deck. I'm more sold by upgrading component quality. Plastic alliance tokens, models for strongholds, cardboard playerboards, plastic coins. At a certain point you need to stop adding monsters and just upgrade anything that would otherwise feel cheap. I even paid the extra for metal coins, cause I'm a sucker for metal coins. When you're dealing with a physical medium, good components you're constantly holding and shuffling around help so much more to me than a model I put on a board and look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'll just join in on what others have already said.

Can't answer that for you.
For me, it was none.
I don't pledge for game models....no matter how many/how good they are.
I pledge for how good I think the game will play.
I pledged in the first hour on the RS campaign. Didn't care if any models were going to be added on as "achievement goals" later.
The minis are just icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:
Now monsters don't fully contribute much to the game. For all their fancy models, they essentially are just 1 card in the deck.

I think you're underestimating monsters. Most if not all monsters come with unique mechanics that can have a significant effect on the remainder of the game. For example, the Kitsune can completely cancel an opponent's ability to win through brute force -- not a trivial impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:

I think you're underestimating monsters. Most if not all monsters come with unique mechanics that can have a significant effect on the remainder of the game. For example, the Kitsune can completely cancel an opponent's ability to win through brute force -- not a trivial impact.

Oh, I'm sure they'll have interesting abilities, and variety is interesting. Hectate in Santorini turns the game into a hidden movement deduction game and it's super cool. But it's just 1 more card in a game loaded with cards where you're not using that many cards each game. Now upgraded components, I use those every game and it drastically improves the presentation. I can say enough is enough on monsters at this point, but I love seeing improvements on the little things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in only because of Blood Rage, and how well I think it works as a game. All my pals agree. Of course, part of the appeal is the minis, both for their decorative value and their game functions. Counting all of the extra monsters in BR, there are only two that don't get often used--Valkyrie and Volur Witch.

Here comes a game with minis as good or better, and with more of them. And, since I missed the BR Kickstarter, I had to pay separately to get all the components except for the cardboard-into-plastic markers, which I didn't bother with. Now here comes a comperable game with the KS "discount" and completion.

This is only about my third Kickstarter, and I don't plan to get many more--except for Mr. Lang's next mythology game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
This is only about my third Kickstarter, and I don't plan to get many more...

Oh, I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry. You're in denial, it has begun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Nope, not this time. I'm a much older guy with discipline and discernment! And in the last few years, I've turned down many other designs...

Of course, I already have an apartment full of games and minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
yogibbear wrote:

That is one of the most puzzling statements that I've ever read.

Diplomacy only has like four rules and can be taught in a couple of minutes. There are some nuances, sure, but I don't see how heaping on additional options and effects streamlines this in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
oniryu246 wrote:

Let me know!

You can back it, take out the Daikaiju and still sell it at a profit. The only drawback is your $100 won't come back to you for a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
vliam wrote:
matthean wrote:
yogibbear wrote:

That is one of the most puzzling statements that I've ever read.

Diplomacy only has like four rules and can be taught in a couple of minutes. There are some nuances, sure, but I don't see how heaping on additional options and effects streamlines this in any way.

Well it is much, much, much, much, much, much shorter. There are multiple ways one can use the term streamline so I assume that is the intent here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.