Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
So both of these seem to have the all vs AI deck ideas.

I love Sentinels of the multiverse but I find that it can be difficult to get people to play for 90 -120 minutes.

Aeon's end seems to scratch a similar itch. Is it worth getting is it different enough?

I also love the big book of madness. Does it fill a similar role as Aeon's end?

REally should I be jumping on the kickstarter for Aeon's end eternal war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Aeon's feels more like Sentinels during play but with much less bookkeeping. If the only thing keeping Sentinels away is that, then you should give Aeon's a try.

To me, it doesn't really feel like Big Book of Madness much, apart from the way that *all* of these co-op deck builders can feel like each other (Legendary Encounters, Shadowrun Crossfire, Shadowrift ...)

The play in Aeon's is a little more strategic since you don't shuffle the discard so combos and timing are more 'deliberate', and the deck thinning is a big part of the game. I heard someone say its less deck-building and more like deck-sculpting, which seems accurate.

BBoB is a bit more swingy, but I also feel each character has more personality with their special power and spell upgrades than Aeon's does. The variability in Aeon's (IMO) comes more from the nemesis and the ever changing setup of the market (dominion style)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyrone_jones wrote:
So both of these seem to have the all vs AI deck ideas.

I love Sentinels of the multiverse but I find that it can be difficult to get people to play for 90 -120 minutes.
Seems a bit long on average, pretty rare for us to get games that go that long.

tyrone_jones wrote:
Aeon's end seems to scratch a similar itch. Is it worth getting is it different enough?
It is a somewhat dissimilar itch for me, and definitely different enough to be worth getting.
They scale in opposite directions, Sentinels is easier with more players/heroes; Aeon's End is easier with fewer. Sentinels is a pure Hand Management game; Aeon's End is a Deck Builder (which obviously has Hand Management). Sentinels is, for many of the heroes all about the ongoings and equipment, and how to deal with when/if they get destroyed; Aeon's End has relatively few stay in play effects, and is mostly about continuously using played/prepped abilities, or getting/keeping them prepped so that you can fire them off at the appropriate time.

tyrone_jones wrote:
I also love the big book of madness. Does it fill a similar role as Aeon's end?
I find The Big Book of Madness to be a mediocre game at best. The available spells change a bit, but the actual game play changes very little. Aeon's End does at least as good of a job if not better than Sentinels in designing the big bads so that game play changes significantly between different enemies (at least so far, obviously I cannot speak for future expansions).

tyrone_jones wrote:
REally should I be jumping on the kickstarter for Aeon's end eternal war?
More than likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
BBoB is a bit more swingy, but I also feel each character has more personality with their special power and spell upgrades than Aeon's does.
Really?
Every Aeon's End character not only has a unique power (which need to be charged up, but most of which are extremely valuable) and a unique starter card (which can sometimes also be quite important). Additionally, some have fewer total breaches, and they have different amounts necessary to spend to open their breaches. All of these factors (and which foe you are up against) change the valuation process for what to buy, and when, and to a certain extent, the focus of a character's build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
BBoB is a bit more swingy, but I also feel each character has more personality with their special power and spell upgrades than Aeon's does.
Really?
Every Aeon's End character not only has a unique power (which need to be charged up, but most of which are extremely valuable) and a unique starter card (which can sometimes also be quite important). Additionally, some have fewer total breaches, and they have different amounts necessary to spend to open their breaches. All of these factors (and which foe you are up against) change the valuation process for what to buy, and when, and to a certain extent, the focus of a character's build.

A fair point about the unique starter card. But to me, the fact the unique power needs to get charged up (4 or 5 times before use) means it comes into play much less often. I felt like in BBoM that I use their player power almost every turn. You're right that it is a valuable power, but I don't feel it really affects how I approach each game as I can't really rely on it until after my engine is in full swing.

But yet, its all just my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
You're right that it is a valuable power, but I don't feel it really affects how I approach each game as I can't really rely on it until after my engine is in full swing.
Or you build up your deck to concentrate more on charging your power than opening/focusing breaches and casting spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.