Play style description: Strategic card game puzzle
Agon + Ludus

Players: 1-3
Game Time: 15-20 minutes
Ages: 8+

– ONE PAGE RULES –

– How to play –

BGG Game page

Current phase: Components Ready (playtest ready)

Theme: Abstract (ockult, magick, oracle).

Art & design: Quadrante Isegrim

Overview: Abstract Network is a simple abstract 1-3 player card game played with a twelve special playing cards. Simple, but still with strategic options, a game of strategy and pattern recognition. The players take turns placing cards on an imaginary square/invisible grid of four by three (4x3) with the goal to connect cards to form (up to five of) your chosen symbol and at the same time prevent your opponent(s) from connecting theirs.

How to assemble a symbol: A portion of each symbol is placed along the edges of the cards, circles and squares requires four cards placed right to the symbol to be connected correctly, while the diamond shape only need two cards are placed correctly. You have to move around or place the cards right to form enough of your symbols without giving your opponent opportunity to connect theirs. It is a puzzle to solve and a race to solve it first.

Winning the game: The player first to connect cards to form (up to five of) your chosen symbol wins the game, according to the chosen difficulty level.

Note/Disclaimer: Abstract Network does not claim to be an accurate representation of magick, but as forces of magick influences each other, it require you to think a few moves ahead.

Components: 12 cards

Link for game rules and files:

Raw unedited rules : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aOxzqi76DfU-z7RFgKCqjYGB... //Rules.google.docs

Files folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4T95ecBob00cTVhWWRK... //Abstract Network files at Google drive

Cards Low_Ink_version https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4T95ecBob00QXFnaHBMaW1TTV...

Note on Solitaire games (in general): If you start the game with the cards face up, you either shuffle all the cards, put them in a pile and then draw a card at the time and lay out one at the time carefully avoiding to get three diamond shapes on the grid Or start the game as in “the Mist” with the cards facing down. In the later case you may always choose to flip a card face up as an action as long as there are cards facing down. You could also start the game by placing them in numerical order (see print layout), either face up or face down.

Pictures (proof of concept):

I still haven't decided if levitation is permitted.

Categories:

Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components
Best Use of Theme
Best Art/Graphic Design
Best Use of Magick

Best New Designer
Best Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Strategic card game puzzle : 2 Player Print and Play
I don't think levitation should be permitted.
I can't levitate, so this would give my girlfriend a huge advantage over me cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes! I know it is a huge problem in some relationships!

EDIT: Maybe levitations should be optional, after an mutual agreement!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! Gl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Maybe levitations should be optional, after an mutual agreement!?

I think if you can levitate your cards that should be an automatic victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Work in progress ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
dsals wrote:
Quadrante wrote:
Maybe levitations should be optional, after an mutual agreement!?

I think if you can levitate your cards that should be an automatic victory.

Hmm, but it will be unfair ... maybe you have to say Uno or something first!? ... simsalabim?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Welcome to the contest Jonas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Welcome to the contest Jonas!

Thank You!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Abstract Network : 2 Player Print and Play
This looks awesome—cool design, interesting idea! Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:
This looks awesome—cool design, interesting idea! Subscribed.
Thanx! (hope you like is as much after you tried to play it ) ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Trying to make the instructions as visual as possible.

Hard time find play testers ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
WIP: Translation of the rules.

Raw rules dokument:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aOxzqi76DfU-z7RFgKCqjYGB...

Other files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4T95ecBob00cTVhWWRK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Playtest ready!
Downloadable rules and printable dubbel sided cards.

Cards (pdf) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4T95ecBob00cXhWQ2xZSXR3aG...

Rules (google doc) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aOxzqi76DfU-z7RFgKCqjYGB...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: [WIP] Abstract Network : 2 Player Print and Play (playtest ready)
Great see you have completed the components. It looks really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Abstract Network : (2017) 2 Player Print and Play (playtest ready)
Trying to write rules in a language that is not my native language and I feel uncomfortable not to control the feel of the language. If I've managed to write understandable English it is good enough for me. Rules are difficult to write down regardless of language, there is much that can go wrong.

Feel free to read and comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Abstract Network : (2017) 2 Player Print and Play (playtest ready) – Components Ready
Tried to help with some tweaks to the wording and some minor grammar in the rule book. I may have missed some things, but as you're reading through it again, I'm sure you can catch some of the patterns I may have missed.

I really like the game idea—I'm super excited to print it out and try it! I'll be sure to give feedback when I've played a couple times.

One question, though: Are the cards intended to be cut out along the rounded gray outline or all the way along the edge where the network lines end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Abstract Network : (2017) 2 Player Print and Play (playtest ready) – Components Ready
Alamantus wrote:
Tried to help with some tweaks to the wording and some minor grammar in the rule book. I may have missed some things, but as you're reading through it again, I'm sure you can catch some of the patterns I may have missed.

I really like the game idea—I'm super excited to print it out and try it! I'll be sure to give feedback when I've played a couple times.

One question, though: Are the cards intended to be cut out along the rounded gray outline or all the way along the edge where the network lines end?

I really appreciate your editing! ... and I hope you will find the game playable!

The blue lines and squares are crop marks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Alternative setup:

Abstract Network – The Mist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
New alternative gameplay:

Abstract Network – The Tides of Magick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:

I really like the game idea—I'm super excited to print it out and try it!

Tried to print yet? The card(crop mark)s is made for bridge-sized playing cards and printed on A4-paper. If you have problems printing I could make changes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I haven't actually had access to a good printer with cardstock paper, so I haven't tried printing it yet, but the crop marks make sense! It might be good to specify that they are crop marks on the printable page(s) itself so others know how to use them without reading this forum thread, though!

Instead of printing it out, I hand-copied the cards:

Obviously not perfect, but they work! I left out some of the details, so the magic can's actually flow through the cards properly, but playing the game myself is fun! (I still need to find someone to play it with.)

I have been having a lot of trouble figuring out how to form 5 shapes, even with cheating! Even just 4 shapes was pretty hard for me to make. So I'll probably be playing with only 3 shapes for a while.

I also want to say that I really like both ideas for the alternate rules. I'm looking forward to the solitaire rules because I'm a sad loner! Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Could you make a low_ink version? That would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi! Could you make a low_ink version? That would be awesome.

Low_Iink_version https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4T95ecBob00QXFnaHBMaW1TTV...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the game solo and playing both sides of a 2 player game.

I like the simplicity and the elegance of the game - just 12 cards.

Nice graphic design. It's a little busy though, so it's not quite relaxing on the eyes to play. There are some extra marks on the cards, like the small ">" and some horizontal and vertical lines that I don't think are used. It might be easier on the eyes to remove those. Or, do you like them just for aesthetic reasons? Same with the thin rectangular outline on each card. maybe remove those to make the game easier on the eyes? Or, would that take away from the overall beauty of the cards? Not sure.

As for gameplay, I thought the rules were well thought out and clear.

I like the various optional ways to play the game. I think that is good for a puzzle game like this.

I think there is only one way to arrange the cards to get 5 shapes completed, so playing with an opponent who is trying to do the same thing with the other shape, I think the game would go on forever.

I wonder if there could be some way to add multiple moves or something. Maybe (for 2 player game), if I complete a diamond shape, I get 2 actions my next turn, or something like that.

I'd suggest first time playing to play with win condition of completing 3 shapes, since completing 5 is very difficult.

Overall, very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.