Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Someone else originally brought this up on reddit, but after two dozen+ scenarios in, I still haven't come across a use for the 5 gold coin tokens on a single scenario. Are these something that only come into play on higher player counts? I almost want to house-rule it that Elite enemies drop 5 gold coins instead of the normal 1 money tokens. It's a bit cheaty, but I am also consistently low on cash, favoring getting treasure or finishing the scenario out over trying to grab every token I can.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any real extra reward for killing elites, although they do seem to be just another level of difficulty, almost equal to 1.5 or 2.5 monsters on their own. Have I taken crazy pills or am I the only other person not using the 5 gold coin tokens at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Have I taken crazy pills or am I the only other person not using the 5 gold coin tokens at all?

Nope. There are so many 1 coin tokens that I've not even made it halfway through the pile in any scenario yet. Maybe there are some crazy scenarios out there, but given that the only tokens you'll need either start on the map or are linked to a monster that started on the map, I can't really see how... barring some kind of special scenario rule that generates loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used them yet either, but I assumed there would be some scenarios that required them. I suppose you could also exchange 5 ones you've looted for a fiver during a scenario, but it seems like there must be more use for them than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they appear on map, at least I haven't seen any yet. I have had at least one scenario where it was convenient (i.e. less cluttered) to make change for a few characters after acquiring a lot of singles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Coppel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the random generator tiles have 5gold chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcoppel wrote:
Some of the random generator tiles have 5gold chest.

5 loot tokens? Or 5 gold? Usually chests are just gold, not tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I haven't seen them yet, but I'm only about half a dozen scenarios in.

I have seen suggestions on other threads of:

a) House-rule that Bosses drop a 5-coin.

b) If replaying a Scenario that used to have a treasure chest but now doesn't because it was looted in a previous run, put a 5-coin there instead. (The motivation for this one wasn't even raw cash, but more about keeping the tough choices which can accompany "do I go for that chest at the expense of combat effectiveness?")

These both seem like they'd happen infrequently enough to not mess with the economics too much, but perhaps make for some fun special occasions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
darker wrote:

b) If replaying a Scenario that used to have a treasure chest but now doesn't because it was looted in a previous run, put a 5-coin there instead. (The motivation for this one wasn't even raw cash, but more about keeping the tough choices which can accompany "do I go for that chest at the expense of combat effectiveness?")

These both seem like they'd happen infrequently enough to not mess with the economics too much, but perhaps make for some fun special occasions?

The scenario replay option seems like a good idea, but the Boss drop is a bit useless since you usually win the scenario as soon as the boss is killed. You could potentially have a single action to swoop in and get it if you don't count the end of the scenario until a full turn is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darker wrote:

I like both of those ideas, on the face of it.

ETA:
paddirn wrote:
The scenario replay option seems like a good idea, but the Boss drop is a bit useless since you usually win the scenario as soon as the boss is killed. You could potentially have a single action to swoop in and get it if you don't count the end of the scenario until a full turn is finished.

Then that is even less impact on the game's economy!

Note that you should definitely finish the round after you have satisfied the scenario objectives:
Rulebook p33 wrote:
Once a scenario’s objective is completed, the remainder of the round is played out and then the scenario ends.

The same section is bolded in the rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MrTroy wrote:
Note that you should definitely finish the round after you have satisfied the scenario objectives:
Rulebook p33 wrote:
Once a scenario’s objective is completed, the remainder of the round is played out and then the scenario ends.

The same section is bolded in the rulebook

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - you wouldn't necessarily be able to grab it, but would have a shot on the turn you took 'em down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5 token is simply for replacing five 1 tokens so that you don't have a bunch of bits all over your player area. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
The 5 token is simply for replacing five 1 tokens so that you don't have a bunch of bits all over your player area. That's it.

I suggest using them to flaunt your wealth to your fellow companions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jung
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Someone else originally brought this up on reddit, but after two dozen+ scenarios in, I still haven't come across a use for the 5 gold coin tokens on a single scenario. Are these something that only come into play on higher player counts?

I have come across one encounter that they have been useful. We asked the voice for money, and the encounter was littered with gold coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.