Subject: Hohmann Pivots with Burns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris M
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There are a few spots on the board (like the burn that Phobos and Deimos connect to) that are both pivots and burns. The rules aren't clear on if performing a pivot here is more or less efficient. Is it:

-2 burns for a pivot and you already did one for the burn space so only one more is needed, or
-2 burns for a pivot in addition to the required burn

I'm leaning toward the former since the rules say that pivots required two burns, but clarification would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is a circle and thus a Lagrange; once you spend for the burn you are free to go in any direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no such thing as hohmann pivot with a burn. There's confusion around as to what is a pivot space.

It's an intersection between several lines with no circle. Those are hohmann pivots. The most common ones are two paths that cross. But sometimes multiple lines may intersect. One more category of pivots are zig-zag paths, each zig is a pivot so you either stop there and wait next turn to zag for free or spend two burns to immediately zag.

If it has a circle it's not a pivot.

If the circle is clear it's free to change direction, if the circle is filled with a color it's one burn to enter and then change direction (assuming there's a choice of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
I believe it is a circle and thus a Lagrange; once you spend for the burn you are free to go in any direction.

That is correct, if a rocket enters a Lagrange point, it can leave any direction it chooses (except the way it came in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
colmenarez wrote:
If it has a circle it's not a pivot.

If the circle is clear it's free to change direction, if the circle is filled with a color it's one burn to enter and then change direction (assuming there's a choice of course)

Thanks for pointing that out! I was led astray by the legend that I thought implied that Lagrange circles were different than burn circles and the space I mentioned having "just" the burn graphic. I think I'll just explain it to the other players that you can always leave a circle from any direction except where you entered and ignore the differentiation into burns and Lagranges. Then regular burns on lines become a trivial cases of the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stephans
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So just so I'm clear: Every Radiation site is a free direction change/LaGrange, since it is circular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but (I think) there is only a single radiation spot where that matters, and it's the Van Allen radiation belt spot on the way to the Moon lander burn.

All (?) of the others are in line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jupiter has one. There are also hazard circles which work the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.