Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Yoder
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we came to the meat of the evening--El Grande. An excellent game with five. We had newcomer John, and regulars Roberto, Rob, and Mick.

My home region was the valuable middle section of the board, and I started with a bang, scoring the region several times and leaping out to a ten point lead after round one. But round two was to be my undoing; I had concentrated too highly on special scoring and not enough on board presence. Roberto took my central stronghold from me I had little left. Then a special scoring of first place in every region came up. Roberto and John both did very well, Rob less so, Mick got screwed over, and I got no points at all. My lead was gone in an eyeblink.

John took over at this point, but Rob came on strong and by the end of round two he was slightly ahead, with good presence on the board. He also had the Castillo loaded with caballeros. At the beginning of round three he was fortunate enough to get a card that let him redistribute these. Spain was his oyster.

It looked like a showdown between Rob and John, with the rest of us finishing somewhat farther back. But in the end I managed a sneaky castillo move, taking the region with the valuable mobile scoreboard despite my third place castillo score. Still it wasn't enough to catch John, who husbanded his pieces carefully. In the final result John won the castillo and squeaked out a win with one more point than Rob. I was two points farther back.

It was truly a great game; it's always exciting when it's that close. It does make you think, though. In a game like El Grande, where you can pick on each other quite a bit, one point seems rather insignificant. Did John win because Rob was in the lead and got beat on more? I know at the end of the game I was looking for ways to hurt Rob specifically. I also know that I benefitted from people overlooking the strength of my position, since I wasn't in the lead. I was able to keep the king in an advantageous territory because Mick and Roberto were concerned about the front runners.

Anyway, it just goes to show ya that it's not worthwhile thinking too much about who wins or loses these games.

I like El Grande a lot, but I was a little annoyed this time with how long it took. The game lasted at least two and a half hours. It should rarely take more than a minute to decide what card you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osvalds
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Re:Session Report
Yoder (#26892),

Yes it did go slowly. You people should hurry the heck up and take your turns (lol), and stop taking shots at me when I take the lead (which is often)! But it was an excellent game, nonetheless!

your pal-
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.