Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » Rules

Subject: spellspinner - Return my own spy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a spy in a site with an enemy troop.

spellspinner
- Return one of your spies > Supplant a troop at that spy's site.

I have presence on that site since I got that only spy and I can return that spy- correct ?

Now supplant need presence and I don't have any troop/spy in that site or adjacent route since I have return my only spy.

So I cannot supplant enemy troop- correct ?




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you can supplant, as it is an effect generated by the condition of returning one of your spies from that site.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I believe you can supplant, as it is an effect generated by the condition of returning one of your spies from that site.

The effect is ask me to Supplant but the supplant required me to have presence.

After I return my spy, I no longer have presence.

Not too sure on the timing issue, do they resolve at the same time,

or

after I return my spy, then next step check for presence again and then resolve the supplant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you cannot do this. You are correct that as soon as you return, you no longer have presence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream I dream alone is reality.
badge
When I cease to dream, you cease to exist.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The card effect takes precedence over the game ruling of having presence to supplant.

You can only have one of your spies at any given location at one time, so the card effectively lets you remove that spy from the location and then supplant a troop from that location.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gotrek987 wrote:
The card effect takes precedence over the game ruling of having presence to supplant.

You can only have one of your spies at any given location at one time, so the card effectively lets you remove that spy from the location and then supplant a troop from that location.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, this is correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thematically, the spy assassinated an enemy troop, opened a trap door to let one of his minions in, and then sneaked back to base (to plan the next bit of skullduggery)
ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gotrek987 wrote:
The card effect takes precedence over the game ruling of having presence to supplant.

You can only have one of your spies at any given location at one time, so the card effectively lets you remove that spy from the location and then supplant a troop from that location.

The thing is they bold the keyword Supplant which required presence according to the rule book.

the card rule ability never state do not required presence.
so there is no rule overridden ?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Thematically, the spy assassinated an enemy troop, opened a trap door to let one of his minions in, and then sneaked back to base (to plan the next bit of skullduggery)
ninja

hee hee but at least the minons must be somewhere nearby to sneak in ? example adjacent the city?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The card would have almost no purpose if you couldn't supplant where the spy was.

How often do you have a spy *and* presence in a space?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
The card would have almost no purpose if you couldn't supplant where the spy was.

How often do you have a spy *and* presence in a space?

well most card also need presence.
like those give assassinate.

lets take these card with 3 cost.

Blackguard
choose 2 power or assassinate a troop

Advance Scout
Supplant a white troop

Spellspinner
Choose
place a spy or
Return one of ur spies > Supplant a troop at that spy's site.



Will it be overpower for the spellspinner card if they can supplant a troop( and not just white troop) at the spy site without any presence?

I think so.


Well it still have a purpose, it let you place a spy to disrupt enemy site and give you presence which you can do assassinate.

Supplant a troop is like assassinate and deploy, which basically is 4 power. And you are removing a enemy troop and not just white troop.

It need to be counter balance by removing a spy.

I think I will play it that you still need presence for it to work since the card did not state to ignore presence.

This is just my view,

How about the rest? You all play which way ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, now I have go thru another card that say

Supplant a white troop anywhere on the board.

Page 11 of the rule book state that
"Anywhere on the board", whenever this phrase appears, it means you don't need Presence where you're told to take action.

So I guess most action required presence and the only time you don't need presence if you have that phase in the wordings.

Of coz I might be wrong since I did not look thru all the cards yet.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Specific overrides general. If a card specifies a location ("at that spy's site", "anywhere on the board", etc.), that's where you can take the action. If not, the general rule ("anywhere you have presence") is used.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scream81 wrote:
I have a spy in a site with an enemy troop.

spellspinner
- Return one of your spies > Supplant a troop at that spy's site.

I have presence on that site since I got that only spy and I can return that spy- correct ?

Now supplant need presence and I don't have any troop/spy in that site or adjacent route since I have return my only spy.

So I cannot supplant enemy troop- correct ?





spellspinner
- Return one of your spies > Supplant a troop at that spy's site.

The card says that the troop you supplant must be from the site from where you returned your spy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lee
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The design intention for "Return a spy -> Supplant a troop at that spy's site" is most definitely that you can supplant the troop even if the spy is the only thing that is granting you presence at that site.

After the card is played, the spy would no longer be giving you presence there, but the supplanted troop would be.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Peter Lee wrote:
The design intention for "Return a spy -> Supplant a troop at that spy's site" is most definitely that you can supplant the troop even if the spy is the only thing that is granting you presence at that site.

After the card is played, the spy would no longer be giving you presence there, but the supplanted troop would be.

I see okie,

thanks you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To look at the wording a different way, if the game's timing was so picky as to "forget" the spy was there, what location would be specified by "that spy's site" after it was returned to your supply?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls