msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello BGG! Entry for 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

Tabletopia
https://tabletopia.com/games/fancyanimals

HOW TO PLAY VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1H4cB4A_BU

Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxivENFLlDo3ZXE2VVdlOV9HUG8...

PNP card files. Several cards on (1) page
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxivENFLlDo3X09SXzZmdnluU2...

"MeOldMate" created this awesome file for smaller, euro, cards:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g71mgtkhy2jwoep/Fancy%20Animals%20...

OPTION 1 card per page:
(78) pages of Material cards--(1) each page.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxivENFLlDo3cEtORWU2dlh6cT...
(32) pages of clothing cards--(1) each page.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxivENFLlDo3TEdsY1ExWUFiU0...
In Fancy animals, there are (2) versions of each card. So there is a cloth glove worth 1pt and a fancier version with 2pts. There is a gem hat worth 7pts and a fancier version worth 8pts. And so on.
The game will be printed so that there are (2) copies of each lower value card and (1) copy of the higher value. The original color PDF PNP has this set up for you. The (1) card per page does not.

FANCY ANIMALS
2-4 players
Ages 10+
30-45 min

Component ready.

78 Material cards
4 fancy portraits
48 clothing cards
4 special rules cards

Categories I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Date Night Game
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Art/Graphic Design
Best New Designer
Best Game

Here is the info on the game (if you like Rummikub you'll like this!):
Fancy Animals is a rummy-type card game where players choose one of four fancy animal portrait boards and use the material cards to make runs in order to acquire fancy clothing items.

On every turn players will either take a card from the draw deck or play cards from their hand to the table. They can make runs entirely from their own hand OR by creatively rearranging cards that others have already played. With each card being able to be played two different ways, players who are best at creatively out-thinking their opponents are sure to acquire the fanciest clothing!

If a player is able to make a run with the correct number of cards in the correct suite that player may take a piece of fancy clothing (corresponding to the run that was just made) and place it by the portrait board. Players will also be able to activate special cards that unlock the ability to break the rules in specific ways.

Different clothing types are worth different points and each animal has a specific clothing type they will receive bonus points for.

Once one animal has all four sides of its portrait filled with clothing all other players have one more turn before the game ends.

The animal with the most points wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This I like! ... and nice art to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
This I like! ... and nice art to!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
... and that is "nice art" as in great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is beautiful.
Can we not have the colour version as an option? The artwork is so lovely it seems a waste to settle for the black and white. To be honest, if I'm going to put the effort into committing the materials and time I'm not too bothered by a few pence extra on coloured ink on the cards. Black and white rules, however would make some sense.
Is there a reason why the last few pages of your rules are landscape? I was going to just read the rules on a tablet or phone rather than print them out but the change in orientation makes that quite difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MeOldMate wrote:
This is beautiful.
Can we not have the colour version as an option? The artwork is so lovely it seems a waste to settle for the black and white. To be honest, if I'm going to put the effort into committing the materials and time I'm not too bothered by a few pence extra on coloured ink on the cards. Black and white rules, however would make some sense.
Is there a reason why the last few pages of your rules are landscape? I was going to just read the rules on a tablet or phone rather than print them out but the change in orientation makes that quite difficult.

Yeah honestly that probably is the best idea. I was just thinking people wouldn't want to print the ink but they can probably just click the option for black and white, right?

I'll re-do and submit the color files in a bit when I'm back on my home computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Updated PNP files to color.

Hope everyone likes it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Welcome to the contest! I can see that the Best Artwork prize will be hotly contested this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Updated the rules--found a couple errors.

Tried to make everything a little more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you provide individual images (one image per card) ? I'd like to lay out the cards with some margin in between and crop marks. I'll send the finished file to you if you want.

Have you tried to make the material cards without the color lines on them, I feel like this hides your artwork, that's pretty sad and I believe the colored number are enough to have them easy to identify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Could you provide individual images (one image per card) ? I'd like to lay out the cards with some margin in between and crop marks. I'll send the finished file to you if you want.

Have you tried to make the material cards without the color lines on them, I feel like this hides your artwork, that's pretty sad and I believe the colored number are enough to have them easy to identify.

EDIT: Thank you for taking the time to check out this game! If you do end up printing out a copy I'd love to hear your feedback!

I'm not sure what you mean by "one image per card."

I might not have been clear but each of the double image cards (material cards) are specifically designed like that because they can be used 2 different ways.

It'd be like have a regular playing card that was either a spade or diamond (for example) depending on which way you laid it.

There are some examples in the rules (starting at page 8) and the video shows a little of this.

Let me know if that isn't what you meant!

Another area that might not be clear: Those colored boarders indicate where you'd cut the card. The additional "bleed" outside the boarder will be cut off. It should be clearer if you print off a sheet and lay a playing card over the image--the edges should line up fairly well with that colored boarder.

I did include those boarders to make things more readable. I'm on the fence about them and I can totally see your point! I'd consider them a graphic design element that could get changed if the game gets picked up by a publisher--and I'd have no problem with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood that each material card has two materials on it. What I mean by one image per card, is to provide each card in its individual file (probably JPG or PNG) or on its own page of a PDF. That way it's easy for anyone to make his own layout. Some prefer 8 cards per page, some prefer 9 per page, some prefer to add a small margin like I do....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
I understood that each material card has two materials on it. What I mean by one image per card, is to provide each card in its individual file (probably JPG or PNG) or on its own page of a PDF. That way it's easy for anyone to make his own layout. Some prefer 8 cards per page, some prefer 9 per page, some prefer to add a small margin like I do....

Ah--got it! That just seems like that would make MORE work for you but if that's what you prefer I've added (2) new PDFs in the first post.

I really think it is great how people will take their time to put together and play these PNPs for us designers. It's a lot of work but I really appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have grabbed these and shrink them down to 8 A4 sheets for those that don't mind scaling down just to give it a go. I found that I had to play with the sizes anyway to fit it onto European card stock so did this for myself. How useful it will be on US Letter sizes I haven't tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MeOldMate wrote:
I have grabbed these and shrink them down to 8 A4 sheets for those that don't mind scaling down just to give it a go. I found that I had to play with the sizes anyway to fit it onto European card stock so did this for myself. How useful it will be on US Letter sizes I haven't tried.

Wow that is really cool! I like how cleanly you've laid out the cards. Thank you!

I've just made an updated note about this in the original post but remember to print off (2) copies of each lower value card. So in each clothing type (cloth/leather/metal/gem) there will be (2) 1pt hand items, (2) 3pt shoe items, (2) 5pt shirt items, and (2) 7pt head items. Total: (48) pieces of clothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added another page to my version to correct the card count. Sorted cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Gonna try to get a game play video up soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Got the how to play video up and running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1H4cB4A_BU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Awesome! Thank you again for this contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised I gave the game a go last week with my dad.It is definitely one that I will be trying again this weekend with my little gaming group.

Since the clothing cards have to be sorted into their respective sets at the start of the game, it would have been useful if there was a symbol on them to indicate which pile they belonged to (we got confused about just a couple of items as the bag, for instance, wasn't obviously body rather than hand)

The cards might benefit from your diagonal devide being higher on the left to low on the right (the mirror image of what you have at the moment) as it can be difficult to see the alternative material option when he cards are fanned in your hand and this arrangement would bring the other colour further up the side of the visible edge of the card.

We did struggle with the rules at first, as we got confused about sets. It would have been useful if you defined what the functions of runs and sets were,just in overview, immediately after defining them.

We ended up making a lot more sets than desirable just through not being able to lay anything else and so came to a halt at the end rather than actually finishing the game but I am suspicious that this may have been down to our unfamiliarity with the game mechanics at the start.

I am looking forward to my next game, I will get back to you after my next try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MeOldMate wrote:
As promised I gave the game a go last week with my dad.It is definitely one that I will be trying again this weekend with my little gaming group.

Since the clothing cards have to be sorted into their respective sets at the start of the game, it would have been useful if there was a symbol on them to indicate which pile they belonged to (we got confused about just a couple of items as the bag, for instance, wasn't obviously body rather than hand)

The cards might benefit from your diagonal devide being higher on the left to low on the right (the mirror image of what you have at the moment) as it can be difficult to see the alternative material option when he cards are fanned in your hand and this arrangement would bring the other colour further up the side of the visible edge of the card.

We did struggle with the rules at first, as we got confused about sets. It would have been useful if you defined what the functions of runs and sets were,just in overview, immediately after defining them.

We ended up making a lot more sets than desirable just through not being able to lay anything else and so came to a halt at the end rather than actually finishing the game but I am suspicious that this may have been down to our unfamiliarity with the game mechanics at the start.

I am looking forward to my next game, I will get back to you after my next try.

Thank you for the feedback!

1. I've wondered about putting a symbol to indicate where it goes--I've also thought about making the backs different shades/colors to assist in shuffling. Right now you'd have to go by the point value but it would be faster to do what you are suggesting!

2. Different card boarder: I'll have to look into that. I'm not quite sure I see what you mean but if I look at some cards I'll probably understand.

3. Set/run clarity: Yes, the rules are something I definitely struggled with and can probably be vastly improved! It's a great idea to clarify things. Maybe: "here is what a run is. here is what it does."

4. Too many sets: This is the part I'm most curious/concerned with.

Our games typically only have 2 or 3 sets played max. But you had a lot:
Were you able to manipulate all the sets on the table to help make runs?
For example: if you have sets of
Someone could probably have broken those up and made (3) runs of 1,2,3 and then continued to add cards on to that (like a 4 or if LOOP was in play, an 11 in a 2-player game).

Was that not possible in your game or was it just something you happened to miss (i.e., you mentioned you were unfamiliar with the mechanics)?

Can you (if you didn't already) check out my game play video? It might clarify some things. If it doesn't help that'd be helpful to know as well!
Of course, I really want the rules to be a good as possible--I don't want to have to make people watch a video. But sometimes videos are so much better at explanations.

Again thank you so much for taking the time to print out, play and review my game. This is invaluable for me and I really appreciate what you are doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.