Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Pawn Command - 2017 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest - component ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

booklet v0.2 + 8 variants (26.mar.2017.)
booklet v0.3 + 7 variants (10.apr.2017.)
booklet v0.4 - 4 pages only (09.jul.2017.)

BGG Database Page - (12.jul.2017.)

Categories to be entered

Best Date Night Game - 8th place
Best Game to Play with Your Child - 8th place
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components - 9th place
Best New Mechanic
Best Game

Couple days ago someone commented on some game (yeah... i think it was John Kean) and basically said something like 'it is nice that you are using existing components', and those were chess ones. I haven't played chess probably since late '90s, so about 20 years, but my lovely nieces like to play with figures lately and box is always kind of in my sight so i thought: 'i could try something like that'. And forgot about it. And i guess i was working on it somewhere in background of my mind cause this was literally done in five minutes this morning. I mean the rules.
I have done some testing by myself, about dozen games. It is easy to pick up and plays quick. Now it has to be tested by two players to get real feel about tactics and strategy.

Feel free to try it out, break it and brag about it.

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a cool game.

But, I'm not sure I understand how the consecutive move restriction works.

If all three command pieces are on the board, and I move my rook from column A to column B, then my next turn the only command piece I can move is the rook, but that's not allowed. What do I do then? I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, thanks for checking in!

Pieces in command line can be moved into any empty space of command line.
If you played rook from A to B, on your next turn you can play C or D to A.
I'll note this and work it in the next rules version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Pedja,

This looks interesting. Some questions:

Is the Knight the only piece that can make a pawn move backwards? Or can pawns only move forwards?

If the latter, what happens when they pass each other?

If you move a command piece into a column with no pawns, is that the end of that turn (basically clearing another command space for the next move)?

Have you considered having 5 columns instead of 4? Having only 1 open space and 2 command pieces to choose from intuitively feels like it would limit strategy too much (in many cases there would only be 1 obvious best move). Note that I'm just going from reading the rules so I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
Hi Scott, thanks for checking in!

Pieces in command line can be moved into any empty space of command line.
If you played rook from A to B, on your next turn you can play C or D to A.
I'll note this and work it in the next rules version.

Thanks. As I was thinking about this after dinner, that was the thought I had: "Oh, I was assuming you had to slide a command piece into the open position, but I bet the instructions say move a command piece".

All good.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Salas,

1. Pawns can be moved in any direction, according to command piece ability.

2. You don't move command piece into column with no pawns, you remove command piece from the board. That way you get a little more breathing space.

3. I felt same right away in a first couple of tries. One of possible solutions i've considered was to immediately remove one command piece when you place and play third command piece. That way you'd always have at least two empty spaces. I wanted to be restrictive at start of design and then maybe expand here and there and make it more deep by changing small bits.

I really haven't considered 5 columns, i've just envisioned game on a closed chess box. :) Another column is certainly something to consider if game proves to be easily solvable.

Thanks for the comment and suggestion,
Pedja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you remove a command piece from the board, I assume you can place it back on the board later, it's not removed forever?

I like a simple game with simple rules. Might just have to clarify these little details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you remove a command piece from the board, I assume you can place it back on the board later, it's not removed forever?

Yes. It doesn't come back only when it's captured by opponent.

Quote:
I like a simple game with simple rules. Might just have to clarify these little details.

Same here, i will surely do that. These things will pop up no matter how simple rules you think you've come up. :)

Thanks,
Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The command pieces don't capture or move beyond the command line, they just program the pawns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
pecaZP wrote:
Pawns can be moved in any direction, according to command piece ability.

In the diagrams all of the moves are forward or horizontal, there are no backward moves. The instructions also specific forward movement only for the bishop and rook (horizontal also for the rook). So if backwards movement is allowed that will have to be specified somewhere.

I must have missed that about removing command pieces - I thought they only were removed when you had no other options available. That helps for sure. I still would be curious though to see how 5 columns plays.

- David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi GreenTea,
GreenTea532 wrote:
The command pieces don't capture or move beyond the command line, they just program the pawns?

Correct. I had a fleeting thought that maybe some scenarios could activate them, but i didn't elaborate. It felt as adding unnecessary complexity at the beginning and i wanted some control over design through simplicity. I might consider it later though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the diagrams all of the moves are forward or horizontal, there are no backward moves. The instructions also specific forward movement only for the bishop and rook (horizontal also for the rook). So if backwards movement is allowed that will have to be specified somewhere.

New version has 4x4 diagrams and all directions noted.

Quote:
I still would be curious though to see how 5 columns plays.

Feel free to add one column and pawn and try it! Could be just the right thing. :) Let me know how it felt compared to 4x8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely cute! Hard to put down...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
dsals wrote:
pecaZP wrote:
Pawns can be moved in any direction, according to command piece ability.

I just read the rules again -- the text says "up to 2 spaces" but I initially read it as "up two spaces." That combined with the diagrams is what confused me. So it's probably fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
This is definitely cute! Hard to put down...

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I love this kind of small, almost solvable strategies that feel like a puzzle and have some often unexpected depth to them. I don't know yet where this one falls in those terms but it seems to me that it is going in the right direction.

I don't know if you're aware of this one, but Let's Catch the Lion (Dobutsu Shogi) is super cute Shogi variant on a 4x3 grid. Author has made it in 2009. specifically to make it easier to teach little girls basic rules of Shogi. Well she did good and got some awards and we got gem like Duke shortly after.

"DON'T YOU MESS WITH MY CHICKEN!" (my printer died at the time but i fell for this idea and I drew and colored every piece and board by hand)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive made some minor updates to rules and added 5th column, so here are the rules v0.2.

I haven't tested this yet, so i may revert to 4x8 if this doesn't go well.
Possible pros: more maneuvering space, additional pawn, more strategy.
Possible cons: drag out ending with two pawns chasing each other (and having to pull full chess set out, open board and cover excess columns:)
Although the latter seems unlikely since you can attack officers in the trench and cripple the opponent's movement options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
I don't know if you're aware of this one, but Let's Catch the Lion (Dobutsu Shogi)

Perfect! Now I know what my nephew and I will be playing together this weekend. Have you seen Animals to Ride? It's in the files section of Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it, looks great! And not very difficult build. Well, since i haven't had the pleasure to play famous original TtR, i guess I'll have to craft this one.
Thank you very much! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Pedja. Welcome to the contest. I'm glad my comment sparked this idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John, thanks for having me.
And thanks for the Inspiration! Thoughtful comment, pointed out one of those 'obvious' things that we so often miss noticing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Added pdf 'booklet' for current version of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated Rulebook v0.2 with 4 pages for double-sided printing (one A4 page).
8 variants added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gugalicious Games
United States
Edgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
This is a very interesting game! I love the idea of "simple" looking abstract strategy games (as you can tell with my own entry, MALU, into this contest!). I feel like this type of game has a lot of extra hidden depth - seems simple at the onset but allows for a lot of deep and varied strategy.

I have a few questions as I read through the rules:

-When moving the pawns, if there is nothing on the command line, can we move the pawn as a regular pawn? (ie one space forward or diagonal capture). If so, are we also allowed to move the pawn as a regular pawn even if there is a piece on the command line?

-If I moved using my rook on turn 1, then had no other move so removed the rook on turn 2. Still had no other move so removed another command piece on turn 3, can I replace the rook on turn 4 or would this still violate the consecutive rule?

-If opponent moves a pawn onto my command line, can I capture that piece using one of my command pieces?

-If opponent moves a pawn onto my command line, am I then restricted to place a command piece on that line until they move it or it is captured?

-If I have my own pawn on my command line, how do I go about removing it? I would no longer be able to move that piece using a command piece since there would be no space available. Would I be allowed to move the pawn similar to the other command pieces and jump it to another command line space? Could I command other pawns to move as a regular pawn in this case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello GG,

Thanks for checking out my little contribution. I‘ve seen Malu, it looks like something with a bit more meat that i‘d possibly enjoy. And i‘m sorry i have to say that i haven‘t got the time to really go through it (i barely test my own games lately, no exuses but life is suffering and all that jazz… i‘ll do my best)

Quote:
-When moving the pawns, if there is nothing on the command line, can we move the pawn as a regular pawn? (ie one space forward or diagonal capture). If so, are we also allowed to move the pawn as a regular pawn even if there is a piece on the command line? 

I haven‘t tried this but it seems to me that it could lead to very defensive game. Certainly something to think about. I will try this when i get time and, if not in the main rules, it could be included as a variant.

Quote:
-If I moved using my rook on turn 1, then had no other move so removed the rook on turn 2. Still had no other move so removed another command piece on turn 3, can I replace the rook on turn 4 or would this still violate the consecutive rule?

Not sure i understand this, on turn 1 you have 5 pawns so you have 4 options to move.
If you mean that you have only one pawn and you move it with Rook forward, then you would have no option on the next turn than to move Rook out of command line. Idea was, if you have no pawns in free columns you make one column with pawn(s) free by removing one officer.
I think i should add this line:
"Removing your officer from command line doesn‘t count as a consecutive move."

Quote:
-If opponent moves a pawn onto my command line, can I capture that piece using one of my command pieces?

No. I will add that to main rules. Actually, it is (half) mentioned in „Infiltrator“ variant in first sentence. It is not easy to do, so i think that if you managed get there you should be rewarded somehow. So i was thinking something like this:
"Landing one of your pawns into opponent‘s command line reduces his playing space and possibly makes some of their pawns unplayable. Your pawn can be removed only by other pawns."

Quote:
-If I have my own pawn on my command line, how do I go about removing it? I would no longer be able to move that piece using a command piece since there would be no space available. Would I be allowed to move the pawn similar to the other command pieces and jump it to another command line space? Could I command other pawns to move as a regular pawn in this case?

This looks so obvious now but i haven‘t thought of it at all, so good catch! How about this:

"When you enter your command line with pawn, you can do following actions on your turn:
a) go forward one or two spaces (capturing not allowed) and after that command it as usual,
b) jump to any space in command row and command pawn in that column as a regular Chess pawn. [edit] Move it one or two spaces forward from starting line and one space in the field, or capture diagonally. [/edit]

You cannot remove opponent‘s pawn from your command line by jumping.
You cannot command-jump into empty column (with any piece)."

If there‘s anything i missed (or made more unclear) feel free to point out.
And thanks for playing Pawn Command! It will certainly be improved by your input.thumbsup

Pedja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.