Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to give this game another try, picked it up a few years ago, played once, but it felt like we were missing something. I've poured over the forums and I think I have it figured out.
Can someone confirm if I have the following items right?

1. Blessings can be played by any character to help another character in any location.

2.spells, itemms, etc can be played from any location to assist another character in any other location, unless the wording on the card specifies a restriction on the target.

3. Multiple blessings can be played by a character to get as may extra explorations as they have blessings.
4.any char can use any card. Proficiencies give benefits to some cards.

Thanks,
Spacegras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
I'm getting ready to give this game another try, picked it up a few years ago, played once, but it felt like we were missing something. I've poured over the forums and I think I have it figured out.
Can someone confirm if I have the following items right?

1. Blessings can be played by any character to help another character in any location.

2.spells, itemms, etc can be played from any location to assist another character in any other location, unless the wording on the card specifies a restriction on the target.

3. Multiple blessings can be played by a character to get as may extra explorations as they have blessings.

Thanks,
Spacegras

1. Yep

2. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it's just the opposite: a card (or ability) has to specifically mention it. For example some of the ranged weapons specifically mention they can assist a character at a different location.

3. Yep

4. Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional follow-up.

Quote:

Absolutely. In Rise of the Runelords, some phrases to be on the lookout for are:

"your check" vs. "a check" vs. "another hero's check" - the former can only be played by the hero making their own check, while the latter can be used on another hero's check, and "a check" can be used on your own or another hero's check. "Your check" is often the reason why cards can't be played on other heroes.

"your location" - could be played if the other hero is in your location, otherwise it can't.

Finally, there's the keyword restriction in that other players can only contribute cards that are part of the check.

For example, some monsters require either a Combat Check or Charisma Check to defeat them. A hero with a bow could contribute 1d4 to another hero's Combat Check; but they couldn't use the bow if the other hero elected to make a Charisma Check because the bow's text says "add 1D4 to a hero's combat check."

Quote:

Remember that any character can pass a "check to acquire" or receive a card in trade and use it for that scenario, but they can't keep the card when constructing their decks after the scenario is over if it's not part of their deck list. Proficiency generally translates into a higher die roll attribute being used, and also might effect whether the card is buried, discarded, or recharged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding Neil.

Basically the OP is right on all points.

That said -- it is possible the OP (or someone reading the post) could misconstrue cards or rules to think you can use card powers in situation you can't actually use them. So, pay attention to what Neil said.

For an example, an ally that can be discarded "to add a d4 to an Intelligence check" can be played to aid any character at any location.

For another example, an ally that can be recharged "to add a d6 to your Dexterity check" can only be used on your own check.

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind the injunction that no one can succeed at another character's check. So cards that say something like "recharge to succeed at a Diplomacy check" can only be played on your check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm sure I have a few more, but I'm still looking up a few things. Doubt I'll have an internet connection where we'll be playing, so trying to make a few notes while I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
untitledFolder wrote:
Also keep in mind the injunction that no one can succeed at another character's check. So cards that say something like "recharge to succeed at a Diplomacy check" can only be played on your check.

This is an excellent point.

Paizo tried to make this more clear in later sets, so it's primarily (but not solely) a Runelords problem.

But a card that "defeats" a bane or "evades" a bane can only be used by the character encountering the bane, unless the card explicitly says otherwise (like Sanctuary). Similarly, as stated, you have to making the check to play a card that succeeds at a check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.