Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bribing - what is allowed and when to do it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rulebook: ALLIANCES AND BRIBES on page 26 (and a snippet on page 22).

1) If I make a "I won't attack you, if you don't attack me next turn"-deal with someone, MUST we trade coins, or can we just make such an informal agreement with just words?

2) When making a deal such as the one above, and coins should be / are used, when is payment done?
- Payment upfront, which gives the receiver a chance to take coins but not uphold the agreement. Or,
- Payment afterwards, which gives the payer a chance to not pay anyway.

3) If player A and B gets into combat, can player C then say to player A, "I will give you 5 coins if you win", to entice player A to spend as much power as possible? Is this allowed? (again, here player C can just screw player A by not paying anyway...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested to hear more about this as well. I don't think anyone has ever done any of it in any game I have been in. I wonder how common it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. As in almost any game you can make any deals with any other player as long as you follow the rules. The deals are never enforced in any way.
In this game you can also exchange coins, the may or may not be part of such a deal.

2. Payment can be done at any time, what you get for them is never enforced. It can be upfront, after or not at all.

3. You can exchange coins for any reason, or no reason. So it's allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember coins are victory points in some way.

You can make any deal like promising coins if A doesn't attack you and pay if he's trustful.. or not paying him after his turn ends and he won't trust you next time. There's so many ways to play bribing arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gustav's answer is precisely correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can we hear some bribe-stories, for inspiration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bribed the Automa $20. Then he attacked me with 7 strength and 2 combat cards - I'll never trust that *$#%%#^ again devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mines not too fancy, but we had a guy with a ton of combat cards sitting on the factory. He had been there for about four rounds and had no plans to move, so I bribed him 5 coin to finally move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@Andrew,

Interesting. If he was in the lowest Popularity section, the factory would be worth 6 coins. By moving, he would now have 1 other territory worth 2 coins, plus your 5 coins, for a total of 7 coins. So he gained 1 coin (or lost, if he was in the middle or top section of Popularity track), and you probably gained more than the 5 coins you lost, by getting a factory card and now controlling the factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it on the first one. He was very unpopular because of the combat he kept gettong into and all his encounters he always took the one that would drop your popularity (like pushong someone in a lake and stealing their stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.