Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I want to learn more about tableau building games, recommend me some key games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not very good at creating mechanics, therefore I must use what is out there. One of my game idea could possibly fit as a tableau building game. So I want to learn more about the possible mechanics used in those games.

Could you recommend me some key important games that defines the genre of Tableau building games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tableau Building

Pretty much anything with a personal board or play area would qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
"tableau building" seems one of those sort of nebulous terms which could be anything from people simply collecting their own sets of stuff to detailed rules about the specific physical layout of things they have collected. The first game which comes to mind as being interesting in the latter (physical layout) sense of "tableau" is Innovation with its nifty splaying mechanism. For simply "each player collects their own stuff", I think Greed is very clever and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tableau building games that I have the most experience of are a couple of the Pax games, specifically:

Pax Porfiriana
&
Pax Renaissance

In Pax Ren, for example, you have to build two tableaux - one for the East and one for the West, and can trigger both of them seperately to take the actions on your cards for each. They are arrayed either side of your player card, which acts as a block to stop pieces moving from card to card via adjacency as they normally can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is the one that comes to mind immediately for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Elman
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I second Race for the Galaxy.

Also, San Juan is a simpler example than RftG of this mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Seipert
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great one is Imperial Settlers. Not only is it tableau building but it uses asymmetrical factions to help everyone's tableau feel more unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know san juan was a tableau builder (I have the game). I have heard of imperial settlers and innovation.

But is there some key important game in tableau building that defines the genre, like we could say for example that "Dominion" defined the deck building genre. A small list of must play/read rules games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's called Race for the Galaxy.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Well, I guess I like tableau builders more than I thought. I've listed a few here with their additional mechanics to show that tableau building can easily incorporate other mechanics.

Villages of Valeria - limited action selection, engine building
Quests of Valeria - on the fence on whether or not if this is a tableau building game. If this is a tableau builder, then Splendor would fit the category as well.
Unfair - take that
Oh My Goods! - engine building
Harbour - worker placement
Tides of Time - drafting
Tiny Epic Western - worker placement, combat, ability to manipulate points awarded at the end of the game (think biblios)
Viceroy - auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Greer
United States
Mint Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I am not very good at creating mechanics, therefore I must use what is out there. One of my game idea could possibly fit as a tableau building game. So I want to learn more about the possible mechanics used in those games.

Could you recommend me some key important games that defines the genre of Tableau building games?

San Juan and Race for the Galaxy are modern masterpieces in the genre. I would try San Juan first. Race requires a bit of study as the iconography isnt self explanatory and rules referencing will take up a lot of time in your first games. However Race is a great fully realized game that is very rewarding after several plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of a fine line between tableau-building, and engine-building, but here are a handful of games that come to mind...

Homesteaders
Machi Koro
Energy Empire
Scythe
Anachrony
Steam Time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I associate with tableau building:
7 Wonders
7 Wonders Duel
Above and Below
Favor of the Pharaoh
Abyss
Evolution
Oceanos
Roll for the Galaxy

Many of these are my favorite games as I love the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FTR, I would argue Glory to Rome is my favorite of the bunch, however, I understand how it is tough to recommend based on it being OOP. To me it flows smoother than Race does at least until you can start to get Race down. I also love the fact that players share a pool of cards. I wished that was used more often. Imperial Settlers is really good as a 2-player game for when you really want to feel combos coming together. Not as combo heavy, but TtA is a great epic and heavy tableau builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

Roll for the Galaxy (it's better haha, jk) or Race for the Galaxy

&

Peloponnes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nations - Each player gets a player mat to hold resources, military, colonies, advisors, and wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite tableau builders is Saint Petersburg (second edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

Wait, you're not familiar with tableau games yet you feel you must play one to use the mechanisms?

I checked your collection and you seem to have fairly old games. My advise would be to play more modern games before trying to design one as the goal posts have shifted considerably in the past few years.

Here's a few stellar examples of tableau mechanisms I have enjoyed:

Food Chain Magnate
Roll for the Galaxy
Among the Stars
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Suburbia
Scythe
Hyperborea
Steampunk Rally
Steam Park
Terraforming Mars
Above and Below

I didn't enjoy Imperial Settlers, it just seemed to be lacking in fun; a ho-hum experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is the one that comes to mind immediately for me.

Thanee wrote:
Yes. It's called Race for the Galaxy.

These two games were my first thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the games that I think of as 'tableau building' my favorite is ZhanGuo, although there's a lot more than just tableau building going on.

Going through the list in the tableau building page, my favorite of those is Lewis & Clark, though I'm not convinced that it belongs in the category. Also on that list is Ora et Labora, which I wouldn't have thought of but I guess now thinking about it it's definitely a tableau builder, and a solid game.

Though honestly if looking through the list has taught me anything it's that the category is very broad. And as such I'm not convinced that there's a 'quintessential' one like there is for deckbuilders. Also, I'm seeing the reason it's not considered a proper mechanic by the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ginkgopolis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wait, you're not familiar with tableau games yet you feel you must play one to use the mechanisms?

I checked your collection and you seem to have fairly old games. My advise would be to play more modern games before trying to design one as the goal posts have shifted considerably in the past few years.

Well I have san juan and it was a tableau building game , it's just I did not realize it.

I do have older game, because I am very picky on the games I consider buying so I have almost stopped buying games. I am even picker than before because I have less chances to play, and because all the people I play games with do no want to play the games I like.

I only buy the cream of the cream, and I must have good reasons to believed it's going to get played. I might eventually do a purge in my collection and only keep the cream to save space. Not sure yet, there are some classics like "hero quest" that I do not play, but am emotionally attached to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a closer look at sanjuan since I have the game. Its more to explore what kind of stuff is done in those games, how conflict resolution (like combat) are resolved, etc.

It's just amazing how creativity work, I gave some thought of considering my game idea as a tableau building game and all the ideas unfolded simply because I wanted to use dual use cards as building + action. I went back to the concepts of Microcosm which I originally got inspiration from and now in a evening, I could have a working game.

The only issue with text abilities is if the possibility space, never sure if it's big enough to hold all those cool special abilities on all the cards you have in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
Guildhall Fantasy: Fellowship
Imperial Settlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these are not what I'd consider tableau building. The way I define TB is:

You start with a small amount of personal actions and probably some shared actions. As you play, you gain (usually) cards that sit in front of you which expand the personal actions you have available. There may be some placement rules for those cards. The tableau is the assortment of cards you have in front of you, which you build up in order to have more player action options.

There are plenty of games that have a sort of tableau building element to them but I wouldn't consider them tableau builders. TB games, to me, feature that element front and center.

Some of my favorite TB games are:

51st State: Master Set (I actually prefer The New Era, but it is OOP)
Pax Porfiriana
San Juan (second edition)
Race for the Galaxy
Guildhall (sort of stretches the definition, but I think it fits)
Imperial Settlers (I prefer the similar 51st State, but this is good too)
Mottainai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.