Subject: Any thoughts on play balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I'm really thisclose to pulling the trigger on buying Absolute Victory. But I'll play it exclusively solitaire, because I make crashing and zooming noises when I play, which bugs the one guy I play with, and anyway I'd prefer to wait until a VASSAL module is released because I've got no repeat no place to set the thing up until I return home.

That being said, what are the thoughts on play balance, esp. in the campaign game, because real men never play anything but the campaign game with all optional rules, no matter how crackpot or half-witted they may be, and I like to blow stuff up so I want to get started on a BIG BIG game as long as it isn't broken, because life is too short for broken games. Like Stalin's War, fer instance. Still haven't figured that one out. Or Tiger Leader. Talk about bad news.

The floor is open. Convince me to buy this game. Tell me it isn't broken. Please. Only you can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the designer so I'll withhold my opinion. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're going to play solo, you're sure to win! devil

(Sorry, can't help - my copy hasn't arrived yet...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone actually have time for multiple plays of the campaign? Only been out a short while. ERs first time game AAR looks balanced enough over on CSW. I would think the events system would give the game a bit of a sandboxey feel, each play being alot different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Feralkoala wrote:
Anyone actually have time for multiple plays of the campaign? Only been out a short while. ERs first time game AAR looks balanced enough over on CSW. I would think the events system would give the game a bit of a sandboxey feel, each play being alot different.

I know I've played it many times solitaire, and even though I promised above not to comment, I'll comment anyway! My experience with the game is that the Allies win a little more than half the time. But I've seen absolutely wild games where the Germans invade North America or a major war breaks out between Argentina and Brazil. Knocking out the USSR isn't always decisive. So many little things can happen on account of the events, the game is incredibly unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
OK, I'll bite: How do the Germans invade North America? Can they bomb Pearl Harbor, too?

And can Iceland have a major war with Greenland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Book it, Dano.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:

I know I've played it many times solitaire, and even though I promised above not to comment, I'll comment anyway! My experience with the game is that the Allies win a little more than half the time. But I've seen absolutely wild games where the Germans invade North America or a major war breaks out between Argentina and Brazil. Knocking out the USSR isn't always decisive. So many little things can happen on account of the events, the game is incredibly unpredictable.

Hello, looks like a fantastic game..! how about a comment on that VASSAL module development, while you're at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelNeubauer wrote:
OK, I'll bite: How do the Germans invade North America? Can they bomb Pearl Harbor, too?

There are things built into the system that allow a greater German naval presence in the Atlantic. If you pursue a "Britain First" strategy as the Axis, and concentrate entirely on knocking Britain out of the war -- which will involve aligning, or conquering, Spain in order to take Gibraltar -- then Germany can exploit some otherwise unlikely Amphibious Assault events.

Whether you can pull that strategy off with Russia breathing down your neck is another question. I think I've seen the invasion of North America once in the 20+ times I've played the game. But it was fun. And it means you get to use those infamous Confederate armies that the game comes with.

Quote:

That one isn't in there I'm afraid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
Hello, looks like a fantastic game..! how about a comment on that VASSAL module development, while you're at it

It's largely a question of me repairing some errors in the opening setups. The guy who is doing the Vassal module is being incredibly helpful in this regard and we hope to have everything for Vassal wrapped up in a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
MichaelNeubauer wrote:

That one isn't in there I'm afraid!

Dammit! Cancelling my order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
Honosbinda wrote:

It's largely a question of me repairing some errors in the opening setups. The guy who is doing the Vassal module is being incredibly helpful in this regard and we hope to have everything for Vassal wrapped up in a couple of weeks.

Amazing, thanks! Always great to have a responsive designer promoting the evolution of the game. Much appreciated. Need to get in touch with my game supplier here in England and get it on order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more progress on the Vassal module? I'll buy it as soon as I am certain a vassal module will be completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
Any more progress on the Vassal module? I'll buy it as soon as I am certain a vassal module will be completed.

The vassal mod was released several months ago. Its on the Compass site. Go to the games page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.