29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Can anyone comment on the quality of any 3rd party inserts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Can anyone comment on the quality of any 3rd party inserts?

I have the Broken Token one and it is magnificent. It holds everything (including the two expansion factions, the meeplesource encounter/trap/flag meeples and two extra Automa decks). Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josue silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on the Broken Token insert. One of the bigger selling points for me is that there are two resource holders so that you can have one on each side of the board which is very convenient. Also, having each faction'ss minis and meeples in a single holder is also great for setup and break down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sauinders
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I also have the broken token insert.
the only drawback is the board extension (to make the big board) does not fit. Other than that it holds the full kickstarter collector's edition with 6th and 7th player expansion, All sleeved cards (I do not think I will fit a second Automata deck) and Meeplesource token upgrades.

The biggest advantage I find though comes from the fact each faction has it s own container which speeds up the set-up/teardown process (I can do a 1-player set up in 10 minutes, teardown in 5 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Rich
United States
Corsicana
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose the Broken token one as well. Seemed more autonomous as far as allowing players the ease to acquire their pieces and put away their pieces without assistance. Especially compared to the meeple realty one. While an attractive presentation, some reviews suggested that I (the game owner) would want to take precautions as to how people took out pieces and put them in. (personal conclusion, no actual experience to validate the truth of the matter.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orgtigger wrote:
All sleeved cards (I do not think I will fit a second Automata deck)...

I have all sleeved cards and have 3 Automa decks in the Broken Token insert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin barnhill
United States
Oxford
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have the meeple realty one and really like it. expansion and the board extension fit in the box w/out raising the lid at all. if you have painted minis w/basing, you may have to do some modification to be sure the base material isn't damaged in storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justinbarnhill wrote:
i have the meeple realty one and really like it.

I also do and I especially like that it is pretty and that everything fits in perfectly (incl. currently available promos & expansions + board extension). Especially the 'garage' for the mechs is stunning.

But I actually am missing exactly some of those points mentioned above concerning the Broken Token one -
althos99 wrote:
[...] there are two resource holders[...]

orgtigger wrote:
[...] each faction has it s own container [...]

Socialchaos wrote:
[...] more autonomous[...]

In my last games of Scythe, I used the plastic resource holders from Scythe in addition, to avoid the problem that one of the players gets the 'bank' (which is I guess unavoidable, especially when playing with the large board).
And for setup I always have to pull out those wooden bits for the factions that are in the game only before everyone can start helping with the setup. Whereas I don't mind pushing the mechs out of their hangar

There'll be a Daedalus one in my environment in the near future. I'm interested to see this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am leaning towards the Daedalus one. Broken Token is slightly more usable with coin storage for the promo coins and resource trays for each end of the table but... it also raises the box lid by 6mm (1/4 inch for you imperial folk).

Daedalus has two separate resource trays but by type rather than for each end, that said, I can live with a combination of oil and metal in one tray so there can be a resource source at each end. It only raises the lid by 2mm (less than 1/10 of an inch) so essentially negligible and looks AMAZING! The detail on the card holders is superb and it's stained as well.

However, if there was another expansion, both inserts are screwed anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumbynut wrote:

The next expansion is currently being playtested .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm sure Jamey has said that there's no way it will fit in the base box, so your current insert will probably still be relevant as the game will need to be split over 2 boxes, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
brumbynut wrote:

Yep, was part of wave one but wasn't sure if it was still like Fight Club...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumbynut wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
brumbynut wrote:

Yep, was part of wave one but wasn't sure if it was still like Fight Club...

Ah, thank you for keeping mum, then, that's appreciated. We have officially announced that the expansion exists, but not what it contains. I think Jamey will announce some of the content in the Stonemaier newsletter April 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brumbynut wrote:

The broken token will work fine with the next expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EricHogue wrote:
brumbynut wrote:

I am also convinced I can make it work, but it will depend on the size of some of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
O'fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
EricHogue wrote:
brumbynut wrote:

I am also convinced I can make it work, but it will depend on the size of some of the components.

I doubt they will be much bigger than Euphorian dice or the Meeplesource action tokens, and they both fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EricHogue wrote:
EricHogue wrote:
brumbynut wrote:

I doubt they will be much bigger than Euphorian dice or the Meeplesource action tokens, and they both fit.

We'll see... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
South Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the Daedalus insert, room for the expansion, helps with the set up, it is the best insert for Scythe by far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Broken Token insert, and I store my board extension separate. I got that one rather than the Meeple Realty one as I've had better experiences building BT than MR inserts, and I like having separate player trays. I was going to go with the Daedalus one until I noted they didn't have room for the 2$ or 50$ coins in their coin bank. It's a little thing, but as I was getting all the metal coins, that was a deal breaker for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Daedalus one and love it. The stained wood looks great. I filled the etched lettering with white paint so it pops even more. There are thematic shapes cut into the card holders, and since you just pull them out and set them on the table in the holders, you get to enjoy looking at them.
(I put the $50 coins in the with the $20 and they fit fine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assembled and installed the Meeple Realty insert and it's great. Everything fits fine and the lid is flush. Highly recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popular Culture
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
And I'm sure Jamey has said that there's no way it will fit in the base box, so your current insert will probably still be relevant as the game will need to be split over 2 boxes, anyway.

I do believe there was a question about producing a new larger box to accomodate future expansions on the facebook Sythe feed. There, I think (unsure) there was a poll about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken Token was a revelation in terms of game setup and getting rid of all the baggies. Was a bit disappointed that several of the trays needed glue/tape to hold together though. It took long enough to put together without it turning into a $50 craft project. I have several Broken Token inserts and no others needed extra help to stay together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaudium wrote:
Broken Token was a revelation in terms of game setup and getting rid of all the baggies. Was a bit disappointed that several of the trays needed glue/tape to hold together though. It took long enough to put together without it turning into a $50 craft project. I have several Broken Token inserts and no others needed extra help to stay together.

Any loose pieces in the Broken Token just need a small dab of Elmer's white glue to fix permanently. Not a $50 project, more like $2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaudium wrote:

Any loose pieces in the Broken Token just need a small dab of Elmer's white glue to fix permanently. Not a $50 project, more like $2!

I meant that the insert cost $50 and ideally would have stayed together without me finding some glue. Which I couldn't. I used tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.