Subject: Opportuniy fire question - special attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's a thread on here indicating that when a unit has an opportunity fire, it can use any attack for that opportunity fire. For instance, you can throw a grenade, or even use a special attack like a sniper shot. Is this accurate, and can someone point me to where in the rules it says this?

My question in particular is when you have Ludwig in a fox hole so that he is granted opp fire, can he use his "sniper shot" ability for the opp fire?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
And while I'm on the sniper topic, can a sniper use "ammo" to add one to his roll on a sniper shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DougOSU wrote:
And while I'm on the sniper topic, can a sniper use "ammo" to add one to his roll on a sniper shot?

No. A Sniper ability is used in place of a standard Shot, but that does not mean you can use an item that boost a shot. A Sniper roll does not use the same mechanics.

Ammo modified a standard attack roll by boosting a unit's attack value versus infantry. That is why it has the symbol of a +1 in an Infantry Bonus box.

A Sniper Shot does not use Attack value, you just roll a die and consult the table. The only things that can affect a Sniper shot are Obstacles and Suppression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DougOSU wrote:
There's a thread on here indicating that when a unit has an opportunity fire, it can use any attack for that opportunity fire. For instance, you can throw a grenade, or even use a special attack like a sniper shot. Is this accurate, and can someone point me to where in the rules it says this?

Any of the special attacks all contain the text "instead of taking a normal shot" or something similar. So anywhere you can take a normal shot, you can use one of the attack special abilities.

DougOSU wrote:
My question in particular is when you have Ludwig in a fox hole so that he is granted opp fire, can he use his "sniper shot" ability for the opp fire?

If you ever face such a situation, be thankful that a Sniper ability is affected by Suppressed markers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug K
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.