Trad Man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Played this game with my friends last night, only two of us were familiar with Buffy.

Our big bad was Caleb and the Monsters of the Week ended up being The Trio, The Gentleman, and Ethan Raine/Eigon

The mechanics were mostly enjoyable, though the Event card check thing was a little confusing for some people. When the Gentleman were around, it was fun trying to play with only miming.

Here's the one drawback. None of the MotW have their own unique art or tokens and their cards have almost no flavor text. If you're not a Buffy fan, you're left trying to translate how the game text would translate to story text and you're left not having anything to latch onto. Some of the locations, such as The Initiative, would also be confusing to the non-fan.

Like I said, it's overall a fun cooperative game, but it does nothing to help out the non-Buffy fan understand the mythology, so if you're a fan playing with a non-fan, you'll either have to explain things as you go, or just let them use their own imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
someone made little MotW standees in the file section. enhances the immersion even further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Arlington
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When people ask me about the game, the first question I ask is "Are you a Buffy fan?"

If they answer with anything other than, "Yes! I've seen all the shows."

I let them know that it's a good Co-Op game, but there are better out there.

Personally, I love the game. However, it's only because I can immerse myself in the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mb
I also agree that it helps a huge lot. Odds are that the game has been made for fans of the setting anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wish it felt MORE like Buffy. So as a big Buffy fan I'm kind of disappointed. I don't remember Buffy fighting endless waves of vampires and demons until they overran the town.

I feel like the game that came out in 2000 was more fun than this one, which is just kind of an Arkham Horror/Buffy hybrid. I have to say I went from being pumped about this to feeling like I really don't care if I play it again.

But it may have been the crushing defeats that lowered my enthusiasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leeman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
I actually wish it felt MORE like Buffy. So as a big Buffy fan I'm kind of disappointed. I don't remember Buffy fighting endless waves of vampires and demons until they overran the town.

Perhaps you missed all of Season 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
I I don't remember Buffy fighting endless waves of vampires and demons until they overran the town.

Or that missing episode of season 1 Angel directly after "The Ring" where they hunt down the monsters they released from the underground fight club and just let them roam LA.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.