Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: Framework rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey everybody!
This is the third hero deck in my custom expansion "Die Wächter des Multiversums"
Jokes aside, at this point this deck is more of a general concept and not that fleshed out really. But I was hoping to get some feedback on the idea. So the basic concept for this hero is, that he is a Battle Robot, who posses a set of 6 converters. These allow him to transform 1 input signal into another output signal..kinda. So the gameplay revolves around an engine-building mechanic, where you have to combine the converters in different ways to get the effect you want.

Framework
25hp
Assemble
Power: You may play an equipment card. Framework deals himself 1 energy damage.

--------------------------------
Equipment, Converter, Limited (14x)
--------------------------------
Shock Absorber (3x)
The first time each turn Framework would be dealt damage, reduce that damage to 1 and change its type to energy.

Combustion Chamber (3x)
The first time each turn you would discard a card, Framework may deal himself 1 energy damage instead.

Attack Engine (2x)
When Framework would be dealt exactly 1 energy damage, he may deal 1 target 2 projectile damage instead.

Impact Transducer (2x)
When Framework would be dealt exactly 1 energy damage, you may draw a card instead.

Output Generator (2x)
When Framework would be dealt exactly 1 energy damage, you may play a card instead.

Power Exchanger (2x)
When Framework would be dealt exactly 1 energy damage, you may use a power instead.

----------------------
Equipment, limited (5x)
----------------------

Kickback Trigger (2x)
When one of your equipment cards is destroyed, Framework may deal 1 target 3 projectile damage.
Power: Framework deals 1 target 3 projectile damage. Destroy this card.

Reactive Protection System (3x)
If Framework would be dealt 3 or more damage from a single source, you may destroy 1 of your equipment cards to prevent that damage. When this card is destroyed, you may play an equipment card.

----------------------
Equipment (5x)
----------------------

Self-Preservation Control (2x)
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do, Framework regains 2hp.
Power: Framework regains 2hp.

Advanced Weaponry (3x)
Power: Framework deals each non-hero target 1 energy damage. Discard a card.
Power: Framework deals 1 target 5 energy damage and himself 3 energy damage.

---------------------
One-Shot (14x)
---------------------

Reconstruct (3x)
Put 1 equipment card from your trash into play or into your hand.
Framework deals himself 1 energy damage.
Discard a card.
You may draw a card.

System Upgrade (4x)
Search your deck for a converter and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck.
You may draw a card.
You may play a card.

Atomic Beam (4x)
Framework deals 1 target 3 energy damage and himself 1 energy damage.

Overheat (3x)

---------------------
Ongoing, limited (2x)
---------------------

Feedback Loop (2x)
At the start of each other hero turn, Framework deals himself 1 fire damage and 1 energy damage.
at the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Edit: Changed the way the converters work from 1 long combo chain to a hub based approach, like Adelphophage recommended.
Edit: They don't run on hp regain anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'm not sure if the Converters are a strong enough scaffold to build a deck around. The converting input to output thing is kind of clever, and I get how if you have them all you can convert the first damage taken into a power - albeit at the cost of taking 5 energy damage each turn.

If you get the whole chain out you can do fairly exciting things, but several of them are kind of useless in isolation. Translation Unit, for example - without Impact Transducer how often does gaining exactly 1 HP happen? The same could potentially be said for Impact Transducer itself. Even Output Generator and Attack Engine don't do that much by themselves - at least turning 1 damage to 1 HP will be nice every now and then when it DOES happen, I can see myself not wanting to give up a play for a power a lot of the time.

I guess I kind of feel like it's giving me a bunch of individually fairly junky pieces which can be great in combination, but then if I DO get enough pieces out to do the cool combo it punishes me with massive energy damage. Also, if I have say Shock AND impact, and Output AND attack (but not Translation) the whole cool chain falls apart.

Possibly another way to approach it, rather than the chain you have (Shock, then Impact, then Translation, then Output, then Attack) would be more hub based? Perhaps you have 2-3 things that turn something into draw a card, and 2-3 cards that turn draw a card into something useful. Then I would only need 2 cards to do something clever, and would give more flexibility than basically just trying to piece together that one chain? Would probably need some more detail work to develop that idea (maybe gaining HP could be the common trigger rather than drawing?) but I find the game is more fun where you're trying to bodge together something effective from what you have, rather than working towards some ideal that you may or may not get.

Other first impressions...
Shock Absorber itself is a nice design that reduces damage in an exciting way. Maybe the first hit each turn was 1 anyway and this was pointless. Maybe it was 7 and I feel like a genius. Cool design.

Kickback Trigger and Reactive Protection system[/b[ are a nice combo, good work. I especially like how they turn any surplus converters into a nice heal and good damage.

[b]Advanced Weaponry
is interesting with two quite tactically distinct powers that will give real choices - and don't think I didn't notice how well the second power plays with Kickback and Reactive Protection, you sly son of a gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for having a look!
I do think that the converters are fairly strong, even in isolation. I mean Attack Engine is bascially Turret Mode but more flexible. And Output Generator alone resembles Upgrade Mode. And if you combine just these two you can do some cool stuff.
Translation Unit let's you profit from other heros healing, like Omni or Argent. In general, while he doesn't support anyone, he kind of profits more from support than most other heros. Tachyon let's you draw a card? Well, I will use a power instead.
And by the way, there is 1 one-shot and 1 power that let's him heal 1hp, just for this reason.

Shock Damper + Impact Transducer alone would make an awesome tank mode.
So bascially, I think they can be strong in theory, but I'm not sure how the deck works out in general.
If I don't make them cost something, in this case self-damage, it would get ridiculous really fast. My first idea was this:
At the end of your turn, if there are 3 or more converters in play, Framework may deal himself 1 damage, if you take no damage destroy 1 converter..
This way the first 2 would be free, but they start costing you later. But that seemed too abusable.

I think he isn't always about getting these 5 cards out. You can work with any set of 2 or 3 converters and still do something cool. That's were the engine building comes in to play. Atleast in my mind it should. Well, the deck is far from being finished. Right now it is only a kind of neat idea I had.

Adelphophage wrote:
Advanced Weaponry[/b] is interesting with two quite tactically distinct powers that will give real choices - and don't think I didn't notice how well the second power plays with Kickback and Reactive Protection, you sly son of a gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
For a more hub based approach I could see the converts acting like this:
Equipment, Converter, limited, each 2 copies

Impact Transducer
The first time each turn Framework would be dealt exactly 1 damage, he may regain 1 hp instead.

Translation Unit
The first time each turn you would draw a card, Framework may regain 1 hp instead.

Combustion Chamber
The first time each turn you would discard a card, Framework may regain 1 hp instead.

Output Generator
The first time each turn Framework would regain exactly 1 hp, you may play a card instead.

Attack Engine
The first time each turn Framework would regain exactly 1 hp, Framework may deal 1 target 2 energy damage instead.

Power Exchanger
The first time each turn Framework would regain exactly 1 hp, you may use a power instead.

This way, it would be way easier to transform bad stuff to good stuff. You could achieve with just two cards the same effect as with the complete previous combo chain. But this might be a more reasonable implemantaion. I would then keep the Shock Absorber in the deck, but it wouldn't be a converter anymore, just regular equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Impact Transducer (3x)
The first time each turn Framework would be dealt exactly 1 damage, he may regain 1 hp instead.
At the end of your turn, Framework may deal himself 1 energy damage. If Framework takes no damage this way, destroy 1 Converter.

This card will destroy itself if you don't do yourself damage in your power phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
He doesn't have to activate the converter. So he can choose to deal the damage instead of regaining 1hp and therefore keep the card in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnny_guitar_watson wrote:
Attack Engine (3x)
Equipment, Converter, limited
Whenever you would play a card, you may use a power instead.
At the end of your turn, Framework may deal himself 1 energy damage. If Framework takes no damage this way, destroy 1 Converter.

Maybe instead of each of the converter cards having their own destruct condition, you could have something like:

"At the end of your turn, Framework may deal himself 1 energy damage.
If Framework has dealt himself no damage this turn, destroy 1 Converter."

This way, it still costs to keep Converters in play, but it doesn't cost as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
This could work. But the problem is that the first converter would be equally as expensive as the fifth one. The cost should go up, if you put too much out at the same time, but it shouldn't do so as drastical as it does now.

"At the end of your turn, if 3 or more converters are in play, Framework may deal himself 3 energy damage.
If 3 or more converters are in play and Framework has dealt himself less than 3 damage this turn, destroy 1 Converter."

This would be a long and complicated paragraph, but it would come closer to what the cost should be like, I guess. But without actual playtesting this is hard to judge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Without any playtesting, in truth it doesn't seem like the Converters need the damage taking drawback at all? They're good but not broken good, and it seems reasonable to have the hero play his cool cards without punching himself in the face every turn - everyone else gets to.

As an example, Translation Unit + Power Exchanger comes down to you can trade a draw for a power (about half of turret mode, although admittedly it's optional unlike turret mode). That seems pretty reasonable for something that requires two plays to get out, and doesn't seem like it needs 2 self damage every turn to rein it in.

Perhaps I'm wrong and they are crazy strong, but personally I'd say before you tie yourself in knots giving drawbacks to the combo, see if they are worth working towards at all in an actual playthrough. Maybe they are so strong they need the drawback, but decide that after you see if they're fun at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Reworked the deck slightly to implement your idea for the converters. Regarding the cost, I'm just not sure, if it would get out of hand too quickly if he could just spam the converters all the time. Only playttesting will tell, I guess. With the current setup I like how Self-Preservation Control serves as a way to counter the cost, but at the same time can be used to fuel Combustion Chamber. If the converters had no cost, I would have to removee Self-Preservation. Overheat with the current design would also be too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
So, I actually tried him out a bit today. And he needed some changes. He was incredibly tanky with all the healing effects and I ended up with no cards in my hand, due to alot of extra plays but no additional draw.
My new version (not tested) activates the converters based on energy damage taken, instead of hp gain. I'm a bit worried that he starts to more and more resemble a knock-off Absolute Zero, so I don't know if the deck really has a bright future ahead..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.