$30.00
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mason Weaver, first appeared on Episode 80
@masonaweaver
www.fivebygames.com

1. Introduce yourself. Where are you from? What should listeners know about you?

I'm an organic gardening educator at a non-profit. I live in Oklahoma City with my partner Megan, two dogs and two porch cats. I'm a vegetarian, a Star Trek fan, and vinyl record collector.

2. What games or types of games are you interested in?

I love medium-heavy euros, roll-and-writes, and set collectors with weird themes.

3. Do you have a favorite game or games you enjoy most?

Troyes, Race for the Galaxy, Castles of Burgundy

4. What are some of the most memorable experiences have you had with tabletop board games in the past?

Getting to meet Twitter friends and game designers I like at BGGCon has been the highlight of my board game life.

5. What is the focus of your WDYPTW segment?

I mostly give personal opinions about games I've played and occasionally I complain about component quality and box sizes.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awww, shucks. AMA, people.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Kellis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium-heavy Euros are such a sweet spot for me. What are your favorite 5 or so from the past few years? Any that you are looking forward to coming out soon-ish?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breakfastcore wrote:
Awww, shucks. AMA, people.

Since you often complain about components and box sizes, I want to flip the script and ask what games have your favorite components and what best use their box size. For me, it is hard to beat Jamaica as far as the way the box space is used, and the way the insert perfectly holds everything in it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sckellis wrote:
Medium-heavy Euros are such a sweet spot for me. What are your favorite 5 or so from the past few years? Any that you are looking forward to coming out soon-ish?

Marco Polo
Russian Railroads
Signore
Orleans
Above and Below
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassadi
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breakfastcore wrote:
Awww, shucks. AMA, people.


I play and love Troyes and Castles of Burgundy, but have yet to get around to Race for the Galaxy (I need to do that).

It appears you enjoy medium-heavy Euros that like to include dice in some aspect. What are your feelings on Bruges? And are there other games with dice mechanics similar to Castles/Troyes that you would recommend?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noajayne wrote:
breakfastcore wrote:
Awww, shucks. AMA, people.


I play and love Troyes and Castles of Burgundy, but have yet to get around to Race for the Galaxy (I need to do that).

It appears you enjoy medium-heavy Euros that like to include dice in some aspect. What are your feelings on Bruges? And are there other games with dice mechanics similar to Castles/Troyes that you would recommend?


Bruges: love it. Other people seem "meh" on it, but I don't know why.
Voyages of Marco Polo is an amazing dice placement euro. I wasn't keen on my one play of Grand Austria, but I know people like it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbinnyc wrote:
breakfastcore wrote:
Awww, shucks. AMA, people.

Since you often complain about components and box sizes, I want to flip the script and ask what games have your favorite components and what best use their box size. For me, it is hard to beat Jamaica as far as the way the box space is used, and the way the insert perfectly holds everything in it.


Via Nebula is great. A top notch production in every way. A 10. Downside? It's EXPENSIVE.

I don't really care for custom inserts, I prefer to plano everything.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breakfastcore wrote:
Bruges: love it. Other people seem "meh" on it, but I don't know why.
Voyages of Marco Polo is an amazing dice placement euro. I wasn't keen on my one play of Grand Austria, but I know people like it.

I'm also a big fan of Bruges, wish I could find a copy.

I'd also recommend Artifacts Inc for dice placement Euros, although it's lighter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mason A. Weaver! Not to be confused with that other Mason Weaver.

Mason first appeared on the show after I did a tweet or something asking if folks wanted to participate in the Meet the Gamer segment and he stepped up enthusiastically for Week 70 at the 51:19.



But Week 80 was when Mason really started contributing to the podcast on a regular basis with his BGG Con Spring rundown and tackling something I still agree with 100% about the "shelf of shame" movement. (6:44)



Mason is a voice I love having on the show, some may say that he has no filter, but I kind of think he's the opposite, he has a lot of filters to filter out all the bullcrap and gets to saying what he wants to say. He knows board games, but also along with that, I think Mason knows a lot more. He's an outspoken fighter for others rights(all of us on the show are, some are just more vocal than others) and that comes through in his segments and if you follow him over on Twitter. Oh, and for some reason he is an avid fan of old corny tv shows.

Thank you for everything you bring to the show Mason, even these box arguments which have kind of taken on a life of their own.

Sorry this took me so long, I've been running around with the kids for their last couple days of Spring Break, trying to have some fun that doesn't involve going to Grandma's house and helping her watch their younger nephews.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
Mason A. Weaver! Not to be confused with that other Mason Weaver.

Mason first appeared on the show after I did a tweet or something asking if folks wanted to participate in the Meet the Gamer segment and he stepped up enthusiastically for Week 70 at the 51:19.



But Week 80 was when Mason really started contributing to the podcast on a regular basis with his BGG Con Spring rundown and tackling something I still agree with 100% about the "shelf of shame" movement. (6:44)



Mason is a voice I love having on the show, some may say that he has no filter, but I kind of think he's the opposite, he has a lot of filters to filter out all the bullcrap and gets to saying what he wants to say. He knows board games, but also along with that, I think Mason knows a lot more. He's an outspoken fighter for others rights(all of us on the show are, some are just more vocal than others) and that comes through in his segments and if you follow him over on Twitter. Oh, and for some reason he is an avid fan of old corny tv shows.

Thank you for everything you bring to the show Mason, even these box arguments which have kind of taken on a life of their own.

Sorry this took me so long, I've been running around with the kids for their last couple days of Spring Break, trying to have some fun that doesn't involve going to Grandma's house and helping her watch their younger nephews.



Thanks, Brandon!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbinnyc wrote:
breakfastcore wrote:
Bruges: love it. Other people seem "meh" on it, but I don't know why.
Voyages of Marco Polo is an amazing dice placement euro. I wasn't keen on my one play of Grand Austria, but I know people like it.

I'm also a big fan of Bruges, wish I could find a copy.

I'd also recommend Artifacts Inc for dice placement Euros, although it's lighter.


Awww yeah, Artifacts Inc is delicious.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you avatar is from Mission Impossible with Leonard Nimoy playing The Great Paris. Why is this?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mosley
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Mason A. Weaver's official #1 fan. We won't get into all the constraints Mason placed on me when he granted me the position.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Sobel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He's.... not the other Mason Weaver? I feel deceived!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.