Subject: Dang, That's a Big Board -- Start With Half? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
For the first teaching game (or two), can just the inner-planets board be used effectively, or are there important destinations on the other board that will be missed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:
For the first teaching game (or two), can just the inner-planets board be used effectively, or are there important destinations on the other board that will be missed

If I'm not mistaken, the flip side of one of the two is a scaled-down version (I haven't compared closely to be sure they're identical).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
demoss1 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the flip side of one of the two is a scaled-down version (I haven't compared closely to be sure they're identical).

Yeah, just play on the "smaller" board.

But if you must use the big one, I would say for a first learning game, you could probably get away with that. Sure, you'll miss out of the fun of planning missions out to Jupiter and such, but it usually takes a few hours of play before new players can start making those moves, especially in the basic game.

So if you're planning on a shorter, learning game, I think you can get away with that.

Then you can blow their frickin' minds when the full board comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd be missing a fair chunk of the asteroid belt, and, since it's a heck of a lot easier to land/take off there than on the larger inner planets, that's where I'd recommend new players to go until they get a good grasp of the rules for fueling and moving rockets.

If you do try it with half, please report back how it went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
When High Frontier first came out you had to buy the expansion to get the second half of the board. There's plenty of game just on half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd ed basic game was played on just the inner planets board. It had no sites beyond the Earth zone to the left of Sol. The left edge had a sliver of the Mars zone but not much. Also, the 3rd ed board has more sites. Like additional asteroids plus Luna and Mercury each have an additional site.

I still also have the 2nd ed expansion board which only went to Saturn or Uranus (I forget which). So we had three stages to keep blowing peoples' minds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic game only was the inner planets. The original version of the expansion board only went to Saturn... it took poster maps and eventually Colonisation to produce a board that went all the way to Sedna. Then interstellar :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Advanced game, especially with futures, have a strong play in the outer zone as well. Whole board is being used for good. And the exploration module emphasizes the left board even further. Also leaving to the Interstellar board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with just half the board would be fine for a first game. If you add the second board you will have some more asteroids close to earth, and you could just tell people to go on and ignore everything past Jupiter or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
When High Frontier first came out you had to buy the expansion to get the second half of the board. There's plenty of game just on half.

Cole is correct. Even with half, there is a lot of stuff. But an important consequence of the ISRU rules is that at the beginning of the game you ignore everything that does not have a hydration of 4 drops of water. That is only a few map spots. As you get better robonauts, more and more places start to look interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the second half there is an ISRU bonanza, almost everything with 4 drops. This makes gathering ventures easy, especially for the crew with raygun. In the advanced game you may put your crew in the freighter on the way for venture (and glory) hunt (also having 1 FFT for landing) and continue to exoglobalize with your main rocket and bernal stacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.