Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P and I, not having our belligerent tendancies placated by Hellas, decided to go for a game of Battle Cry. This went over real well with P, who is a big fan of the MB Gamemaster series. He thought that the miniatures were really neat, but the card driven combat was something unique that P really liked. I like this game for it's simplicity and fun; also it has great production value.

We played the first battle of Bull Run, where P was the Confederates and I was the Union. P wanted to be the Confederates because we were just talking the week before about the Saturday Night Live skit with Christopher Walken playing "Colonel Angus", the southern officer during the civil war. If you saw the skit, you are probably laughing your rear off right now. If not, just say it a few times fast with a southern drawl and you will get it. If you still don't get it, you probably shouldn't be getting it and you aren't missing much .

Anyway, after a few laughs we decided to see if the Union could take the field this time, or if history would repeat itself and the Rebs would win. P started by placing his General and Infantry on the ridge, thereby allowing him to take potshots at my units out in the open. I quickly moved my General and an Infantry unit into the house, providing some good cover. The other Infantry I tried to move to the flanks, since I did not want them in the back row where they could be lost in a rout if the Rebs decided to make a charge. Only having one Cavalry unit was difficult as well, with the Confederates running rampant in my right flank with a General and 2 Cavalry units. I used my Cavalry in my right flank to distract the Confederates while my Artillery moved to the hill in my right flank.

At the same time the Confederates were trying to position their Artillery on the ridge, thereby giving them access to most of my units in my center and left flanks. This wouldn't stand, so I played a "Short of Supplies" card on it, forcing him to the back row. Colonel Angus wasn't too happy about that, since it would take him at least another 4 turns to get that artillery back to where it was.

This managed to save my hide for a few rounds, but things started looking bad. The Confederates played a "Sharpshooter" card and took out my only General. A failed charge on the Confederate ridge managed to wipe out one of my units and reduce another one to just a flag-bearer. This unit was quickly picked off next turn by the Confederate infantry on the ridge. My Cavalry was surrounded and decimated by a Confederate General, Cavalry, and Infantry units. They were able to take out a Confederate infantry unit before they went down, however.

There was very little action in my left flank, but the Confederates managed to build some fieldworks there, but a charge by two of my infantry units dislodged the Rebs and I took the unit out.

I can't remember each of the units taken, but by endgame we were both tied with 5 flags each. The confederates managed to wipe out another one of my infantry units winning the game. History was doomed to repeat itself this day, much to the chagrin of the Union forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.