GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,211 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
84 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: One Last View From the Directors Chair rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link to One Last View From the Directors Chair

Just a shade under 11K words and 12 pages worth. I applaud anyone's ability to wax that poetic. Interesting viewpoints as well.

Curmudgeon or not, Don's been a pretty interesting guy to get to know, play games with, and work with. His final director's chair is a good read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of interesting comments and insights from Don. One point he makes I believe needs to be empasized repeatedly, both in its own right and for its impact on many issues: the WBC needs more GMs and needs those GMs to sign up sooner. Whether it is to make possible more events, to avoid burning out GMs who handle multiple events, to make it more feasible for the CD to avoid problem GMs, or to allow more efficient assignment of space and time, the WBC needs members to step up and volunteer to be GMs, and do so timely.

I am confident this year's WBC will be even better than 2016. Next Winter, when we are preparing for 2018, I will help beat the drum to seek GMs early and often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone want to share which board member is the PITA?

You could put it in a spoiler tag. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure that there is a member of the board - past or present - who is not a PITA! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Link to One Last View From the Directors Chair

Just a shade under 11K words and 12 pages worth. I applaud anyone's ability to wax that poetic. Interesting viewpoints as well.

Very interesting, indeed—thanks for sharing!

Really hope that the WBC will still have such dedicated and knowledgeable leadership whenever I'm finally able to make my first trek to attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One point he makes I believe needs to be empasized repeatedly, both in its own right and for its impact on many issues: the WBC needs more GMs and needs those GMs to sign up sooner. Whether it is to make possible more events, to avoid burning out GMs who handle multiple events, to make it more feasible for the CD to avoid problem GMs, or to allow more efficient assignment of space and time, the WBC needs members to step up and volunteer to be GMs, and do so timely.

I was struck by Don's comparison to the US Chess Federation in this regard. I was a member of that for over 20 years and until I read what Don said, I never really thought of the BPA in the same way.

In other words, "membership" in the BPA just seemed like a technicality to go to a game convention. I didn't really feel like a member of anything in the same way I felt a member of the Chess Federation.

It certainly gave me something to think about in terms of participating more in the convention.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some enlightening things in this article.

I haven't directly interacted with Don much over the years, and I know I've been part of his hair pulling with the debating over heats and such. I would like to thank Don. This is one of the best weeks of my year, and the work that goes into it really is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BRAVO!

Every decision about running the WBC from
walk-up game play registration to
"the survival of the fittest" natural event pruning,
has created a fantastic gaming environment!

Don (and his gaming tournaments) have come a long way!
(From one who attended his Origins II back in 1976.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Petruzzelli
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting.
I'm a long time attendee (Avalon Con, WBC) and one time GM. In every situation between Don and I over the years, Don has been attentive, responsive, honest, genuine, and helpful. I tried to respect his time at the Con. As an organizer on a much smaller scale, I understood the requirements, pressure, and never ending nit picking he had to endure. WBC has been my Con for decades and that's thanks to Don's vision and willingness to wear the black hat. I've disagreed with a couple minor things. I've respected Don's wishes to not air any laundry via social media. I didn't attend in 2016 due to employment issues but am booked for 2017. I can't thank Don enough for his contribution. Best wishes to Ken as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My goodness, it's like the last days of old Singapore up in here. Singing the old self-congratulatory songs does not negate the fact that the world is changing and meanwhile the absurdly named "World Boardgaming Championship" has been utterly stagnant.

Guess what? PAX Unplugged has arrived to do everything and be everything the WBC should have been a long time ago.

It's about time. And BGG would be wise to finish updating their website sometime this century, or they will also continue fading from view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
GoRight wrote:
My goodness, it's like the last days of old Singapore up in here. Singing the old self-congratulatory songs does not negate the fact that the world is changing and meanwhile the absurdly named "World Boardgaming Championship" has been utterly stagnant.

Guess what? PAX Unplugged has arrived to do everything and be everything the WBC should have been a long time ago.

It's about time. And BGG would be wise to finish updating their website sometime this century, or they will also continue fading from view.

Talk about pathetic websites, the page you linked to has almost no useful information on it. I guess I know that it is 3 days long, which doesn't compare to WBC. I'd be in the target audience since I'm withing driving distance and it is on my birthday. But your introduction does not make me want to look into it further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
rshipley wrote:
the page you linked to has almost no useful information on it. I guess I know that it is 3 days long, which doesn't compare to WBC. I'd be in the target audience since I'm withing driving distance and it is on my birthday. But your introduction does not make me want to look into it further.

It's not until November, this is the first year, and the website gives enough specific info to go on for now. Furthermore, the location is top-notch, their track record is good, and the website doesn't say something stupid like they are "in the process of updating and modernizing the website. If you spot any problems, please alert us at..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely disagree that PAX Unplugged will be anything like WBC is or should be. 3 days? Sorry, really not worth the effort for me to get there. Also from reading about the other PAX events, likely to be smaller, sell out quicker and be much more expensive than WBC, but those details will become more apparent once more of their details start showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. Glad you've signed up to be able to post.

With that being said, and this comes from someone who has never attended WBC but hopes to someday, I don't see how the linked convention offers anything replacing the WBC experience.

Look there is one thing that sets WBC apart from all the other conventions and it is the one thing that attracts me compared to every other gaming convention: WBC's focus on offering competitive gaming via tournaments.

PAX Unplugged looks everything like the average board gaming convention that will be full of vendors and a litany of events with very few of them being tournament focused. Furthermore it is a mere three days which is nothing like the long form convention that WBC is.

I'm glad you're excited by the new convention and think it will be better than WBC. But don't be surprised if most of the current attendees and interested parties in WBC are pretty unswayed by your post that WBC is dying and getting replaced by newer conventions.

(Note none of this is saying that I don't disagree that WBC/BPA and even BGG would benefit from a more modern looking webpage that PAX unplugged at least seems to have. But that is but one part of a much bigger picture).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well then by all means continue to enjoy your pilgrimage to the WBC, if you find it to be perfect, just the way it is and always has been. That's what the link in the OP was about, right? How the WBC is doing just great?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I rescind the smaller part of my previous comment, looks like they will have about the same amount of space, maybe more. My current problem with it will be 1) price, and then 2) timing (November sucks for my ability to get time off to travel, as compared to the much-better July that fits WBC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoRight wrote:

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoRight wrote:

Not sure what got you upset with the WBC (the best 9 days of the year), but as has often been pointed out, different folks like different cons; different cons scratch different itches. I've been going to WBC for about 10 years, which makes me something of a newcomer. That said, in that time it has been far from stagnant: new and (in my opinion) much better location, longer con (with no need to distinguish the old pre-con) with more people making this a week's vacation, more family friendly, significantly more women, new generation beginning to take over as GMs, gradual inclusion of newer games while maintaining the most popular of the older games, and significant growth in attendance.

I am curious, though, since the link you provided doesn't have much information - what appeals to you about PAX Unplugged. I saw references to seminars and vendors, both of which can be foud at WBC but are relatively small parts of the WBC experience. Is there something else that has you looking forward to November?

Also, and I am saying this as a heads up, not as snark, I hope PAX Unplugged is prepared for the Philadelphia Convention Center experience. Many gaming conventions operate on a tight budget. That leads to practices that may not fly at the PCC. For example, vendors are NOT permitted to set up their own booths; they will need to use (and pay for) union labor for set up, electrical hookups, etc. In the past there were often disputes between labor uinons over who got to do which work - much of that appears to have been resolved, but that the work cannot be done by the vendors has not changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an article about it: http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/27/14412730/pax-unplugged-tick...

"Hartman doesn’t see those other conventions as direct competitors, and instead wants Unplugged to be an opportunity to expand the tabletop audience."

Sounds like our poster here isn't on the same page as the guy running it, so that's good. Hopefully he isn't involved in any official position.

WBC is run by and for people who want to go and play games for a week once a year. Not sure why it would be seen as such a threat to deserve to be attacked. I wish the new con good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to note that the OP just registered today and this is his only post on BGG. Wonder why he feels the need to slag both WBC and BGG in the same post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
I wish the new con good luck.

Me too. But I'll be shocked if they get 100 people for a Power Grid tournament or 260 for Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wright
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
No of course I'm not involved in this new Con. Just a person who was disappointed by WBC back when it was at that cramped dump in Lancaster. Glad they were able to ease Don off into the sunset, and hopefully that place out in the countryside an hour and a half from Pittsburgh will work out for those who like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoRight wrote:
Well then by all means continue to enjoy your pilgrimage to the WBC, if you find it to be perfect, just the way it is and always has been. That's what the link in the OP was about, right? How the WBC is doing just great?

Well for openers the WBC doesn't have people who open accounts on websites simply to cheap shot other conventions.

And I'd argue the WBC really isn't competition for PAX, I suspect more than few Philly locals (EPGS for openers)will go to WBC and PAX.

Of course you can't cheap shot BGGcon here, can you?

Read it quick folks, it won't be here long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for starters, WBC may be a wee bit more affordable, at least on the lodging side.

https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012604347/0#hotels

Just like PAX Unplugged was not designed to compete with BGG.Con, even though its on the same date, I see no reason why some feel the need to compare it to WBC other than its in the same neck of the woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
rshipley wrote:
I wish the new con good luck.

Me too. But I'll be shocked if they get 100 people for a Power Grid tournament or 260 for Ticket to Ride.

Hard to say whether they will even have such tournaments. My guess is that it will be like what Origins and GenCon have become - run for the benefit of game manufacturers rather than game players. Maybe not, but the way it is being presented seems to be "just wait till we tell you what it will be" rather than "hey, tell us what you want". I remember WBC starting with a survey to figure out what potential attendees would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.