Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
206 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: 2017 War of the Ring International Online Tournament: Pairings & Tournament Results rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 52 participants in this year's tournament. We polled for tournament format and among those who voted single elimination won with 25 votes to 15 for Swiss.

So we will once again be using single elimination with a 52 person bracket (https://www.printyourbrackets.com/fillable-52-player-seeded-...). The top 14 seeded players all get round 1 byes (one of the detriments of non-Swiss).

Format: Default format is 2d edition base game (expansions are optional), best out of three matches, alternating sides, with the last game (if necessary) using the Dwarven Ring bidding system- high roller offers a number of dwarven rings to be allowed to play a side. Dwarven rings can be used just after action dice have been rolled by both sides, to reroll dice (1 for 1) of your side until the outcome is different from the original die result.

It is possible to have the match decided by one game if both players agree.

Time: Everyone has three weeks to finish their 2/3 match. Feel free to play your next opponent as soon as you are finished. Do let me know if your opponent does not respond to your communication within three days.

Judges: For most questions please just post to the BGG rules forum, you are likely to get a faster response than contacting a judge. For unresolved disputes, arbitration, and appeals from any decisions the official judges are Peter Majek, Heikki Laakkonen, and myself.

http://mapsandmoreshop.de/pm_wotr/2017/ (Maintained by Peter Majek)

Round 1 matches:

GamesJart vs JohnMcKendrick
Fool of a Took vs angelo manosso
Muhamed Vila vs Novice Warrior
Jan Neck vs. Karan R
Eruantalon vs surgeon
Koolin vs Herinton Tomasi
Meleke vs Bryan Stark
Genoah77 vs angryMob
Rafamir vs Ben Leigh
Jaqen H'ghar vs James Nelson
Wojtaszczyk vs Olilord
kandalv vs Eric Schneider ImrahilofGondor
Yoko Raina vs Paulo Souza
Harwin vs Mike Barry
Belisarius88 vs Valaraukar
Tigre9 vs Henry Rodriguez
Hibbzzy vs Warren Wells
umrmeche vs Berbelek
RoySubs vs. TheColt
Taran Wanderer vs. deekin12

If your name is not listed you have received a round 1 bye, which may change if additional players register this weekend.

Results
Please post your tournament results here so we can update standings and feel free to add commentary. There is a particular ladder format that needs to be used:

Player Name:
Shadow Rating: old xxx > new xxx
Free Rating: xxx
Average: old xxx > new xxx

Opponent Name:
Shadow Rating: xxx
Free Rating: old xxx > new xxx
Average: old xxx > new xxx

For more details see:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1heX5V4VSGD4hfMjC_gLh...

We are going to require a game log for all games of the final top 4 players so the rest of us can admire your skill. Passwords optional.

If you are interested below is the list of seeded players, based on 2016 ladder results (when available):

1 PeterM
2 Barbarisco
3 Uthoroc
4 Jim Hansen
5 Hessen
6 Magic Geek
7 ira212
8 SixToedCat
9 Alija Vila
10 savedbyhim01
11 Deggit
12 ASelby
13 GamesJart
14 Fool of a Took
15 Muhamed Vila
16 Jan Neck
17 Taran Wanderer
18 roysubs
19 Tigre9
20 Rafamir
21 Jaqen H'ghar
22 Hibbzzy
23 Yoko Raina
24 Koolin
25 Meleke
26 Harwin
===========================
27 umrmeche
28 Wojtaszczyk
29 Genoah77
30 Belisarius88
31 kandalv
32 Eruantalon
33 surgeon
34 ImrahilofGondor
35 Valaraukar
36 angryMob
37 Olilord
38 Berbelek
===========================
39 Mike Barry
40 Bryan Stark
41 Herinton Tomasi
42 Paulo Souza
43 Warren Wells
44 James Nelson
45 Ben Leigh
46 Henry Rodriguez
47 TheColt
48 deekin12
49 Karan R
50 Eric Schneider (late entry)
51 Novice Warrior
52 Angelo manosso
53 JohnMcKendrick

Good luck!

Witch King battling a disguised Eowyn: "You fool. No man can kill me. Die now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much to Michael for organizing, and to everyone else who is helping with pairings, bracket, etc. I'll happily volunteer to help with rule clarifications if needed.

Good luck to everyone, and most importantly, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herinton Tomasi
msg tools
Happy to be part of this tournament. A lot of learning and fun awaits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Judges: For most questions please just post to the BGG rules forum, you are likely to get a faster response than contacting a judge. For unresolved disputes, arbitration, and appeals from any decisions the official judges are Peter Majek, [need a volunteer!] and myself.

I can volunteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

just saw the postings for this years tournament two days too late... :-( so, if anyone fails to join I would be happy to be the backup!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
Slovakia
flag msg tools
TheColt wrote:
Hi guys,

just saw the postings for this years tournament two days too late... :-( so, if anyone fails to join I would be happy to be the backup!

Tim

Hi Tim, you can still join the party as Michael stated above:

Belisarius88 wrote:

... If your name is not listed you have received a round 1 bye, which may change if additional players register this weekend.

There are also 2 new players who registered today on the registration thread. So these are additional three round 1 matches:

RoySubs vs. TheColt
Taran Wanderer vs. deekin12
Jan Neck vs. Karan R

So currently, there are 49 players registered (same as the last year), out of which 34 are playing in round 1, top 15 have R1 bye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have one drop, ImrahilofGondor and two new registrants. One of these will be assigned to Kandalv (opponent of dropped player) and the other to player seeded #15 I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Meyer
msg tools
I'm not dropping. I'm sorry if my message was unclear, but it is my opponent who is dropping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Belisarius88 wrote:
Ok, both of the guys who signed up recently are not ladder ranked that I can tell. So go ahead and play
Novice Warrior
msg tools

One of the new signups, Eric, is actually quite an active player this year, 22 logged games this year already, so I suggest he takes rank #34, replacing ImrahilOfGondor. And Novice warrior takes on rank #15. So the new R1 matches are:

kandalv vs. Eric (known as Sheriff of Hobitton on the ladder)
Muhamed Vila vs. Novice Warrior
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Here is the complete tournament bracket http://mapsandmoreshop.de/pm_wotr/2017/

We have a record number of participants this year, counting 50 players:
13 from USA, 8 from Germany, 3 from each Spain, Canada, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and United Kingdom, and 1 player from each Slovakia, Serbia, South Africa, Poland, Netherlands, Italy, India, Finland, Brazil, and Australia. So 16 different countries in total (for 7 participants, there is no country information available, yet). It is also interesting to note that in previous 8 years, only USA (4 times), Australia (3 times, all by Magic Geek), and Slovakia won the gold medal.

I will be updating the bracket with all the results and posting your game logs. Please send me your game logs along with the passwords for both sides to nerquen@gmail.com.

If you want to change your information (name/country) on the bracket please email me at above address. For some long names I have to use a shortcut though to fit them in the layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two additional players have registered and been matched as follows:

GamesJart vs JohnMcKendrick
Fool of a Took vs angelo manosso
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First game of the 2017 WOTR.

Just watch the replay lol, what a weird game. Berbelek couldn't get C dice except on a couple turns where he rolled 3 or more. He ended with -6. In turn 5 I was at -6 on 6's so my shadow was getting nowhere fast but due to lots of musters I at least had everyone to war quickly and had legions of shadow units being fed into the grinder. Berbelek also had -6 on 6's at that time but was getting plenty of 5's so a 10 unit army with 3 elites of Isengard against 4/1/1 in Rohan coulnd't even finish them off and had to be reinforced by wild men of dunlend card.

Luck turned decisively for me and against Berbelek when FSP got close to mordor as my dice got hot allowing me to take Erebor, Lorien, HD and Rivendell all in quick succession to close out the game with FSP on first step of track. Weird, weird game.

umrmeche beats Berbelek
Diff 28 +/- 15
umrmeche
Shadow 528 > 543
Free 546
Games 12 > 13
Average 537 > 544.5

Berbelek
Shadow 500
Free 500 > 485
Games 0 > 1
Average 0 > -7.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
Slovakia
flag msg tools
For those of you interested in re-playing logfiles without being spoiled by game results you can use this URL for the bracket:

http://mapsandmoreshop.de/pm_wotr/2017/index.html#hide

It will replace all game results, scores and statistics with asterisk characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All SP military. Game 1 in turn 7, game 2 in turn 9 and game 3 in turn 8.

Game 1 Result, Olilord(SP) defeated Wojtaszczyk(FP)
Player Name: Wojtaszczyk
Shadow Rating: 500
Free Rating: old 500 > new 484
Average: old 500 > new 492

Player Name: Olilord
Shadow Rating: old 500 > new 516
Free Rating: 500
Average: old 500 > new 508

Game 2 Result, Wojtaszczyk(SP) defeated Olilord(FP)
Shadow Rating: old 500 > new 517
Free Rating: 484
Average: old 492 > new 500

Shadow Rating: 516
Free Rating: old 500 > new 483
Average: old 508 > new 500

Game 3 Result, Wojtaszczyk(SP) defeated Olilord(FP+2DRs)
Shadow Rating: old 517 > new 533
Free Rating: 484
Average: old 500 > new 509

Shadow Rating: 516
Free Rating: old 483 > new 467
Average: old 500 > new 492
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note on the victory condition of each game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taran Wanderer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Game 1: TaranWanderer (FP) defeated deekin12 (SP)

It's been a while since I've played, so this was a nice refresher, though I've gotten so used to LOME that playing without it was weird. I managed to move the Fellowship quickly, which was nice since the Military side completely collapsed. He finally got some Hunt success half-way through and I lost most of the Fellowship. It wasn't quite enough to slow me down, though, and I destroyed the ring right before he was able to finish me off.

Player Name: Taran Wanderer
Shadow Rating: 500
Free Rating: 500 > 516
Average: 500 > 508

Player Name: deekin12
Shadow Rating: 500 > 484
Free Rating: 500
Average: 500 > 492

Log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ES2KBLosmDa3RndjB2eE1PSlU...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Christensen
msg tools
I played the second game against Taran, and managed to pull off a miracle victory as the FSP. I'm a little confused on how to calculate the results. Should I be using the numbers already on the 2017 ladder, or do we start over at 500 for the tournament? Bottom line, we both won a game as the FSP and will play our final match next weekend. I saved the game log, but I'm not sure how to add it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People should be using the 2017 ladder numbers. Kevin's numbers are off. It also looks like he was calculating based on the difference in average rating instead of the difference in side-specific rating.

The easiest thing to do is to go to the last tab on the ladder document and type in the names of the winner and loser. You can just copy and paste that into BGG. Although if you are posting multiple games at once, you'd have to calculate the second game by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
Slovakia
flag msg tools
deekin12 wrote:
I played the second game against Taran, and managed to pull off a miracle victory as the FSP. I'm a little confused on how to calculate the results. Should I be using the numbers already on the 2017 ladder, or do we start over at 500 for the tournament? Bottom line, we both won a game as the FSP and will play our final match next weekend. I saved the game log, but I'm not sure how to add it here.

So the correct numbers for your 2nd game are

Deekin beats Taran Wanderer
Diff -19 +/- 17
Deekin
Shadow 517
Free 481 > 498
Games 16 > 17
Average 499 > 507.5

Taran Wanderer
Shadow 500 > 483
Free 518
Games 1 > 2
Average 509 > 500.5

I updated the ladder already with that game.

As per the log file, just send it to me @ nerquen@gmail.com and I will post it to the ladder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Christensen
msg tools
Will do. Thanks for the help guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note that if people can add passwords into the log files, then we can all watch the card play as well while replaying?

Is the best way to just manually edit the log file and add 2 lines before the encrypted area starts with the passwords Peter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, I thought we always calculated based on the lifetime average? Now I'm confused.

I just finished my round 1 match against Valaraukar. I played Shadow and obtained a military victory on turn 10 thanks to a timely play of A Day Without Dawn on that last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Wait, I thought we always calculated based on the lifetime average? Now I'm confused.

We do both, but results here on BGG are usually done with current year's rating. When we moderators enter the details we add results for both the current year and the all time ladder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ByTheHoser (Ben Leigh) and I completed our first game. I'll get the log to Peter once I have Ben's pw.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ben got a strong start and even tromped through Moria undaunted by the prospect of a reveal, yet the Moria tile was a mere Eye. Gandalf had fallen in Hollin, Gimli succumbed to the Lure of the Ring in Moria ("But Frodo, with its power, I could fulfill Balin's dream and restore the glory of Durin's realm!"). Alas, my Hunt rolls (4 eyes + 2 rerolls) all missed the FSP on its way out. FSP declared into Dimrill Dale and Strider, Boromir, and Pippin separated to Minas Tirith. Ben succeeded in holding the white city against the Witch-king's onslaught, and a couple well-timed Sudden Strikes banished him for good. Gollum and the Ringbearers entered Mordor with just 3 Corruption, but the Hunt draws were not sufficiently kind: three moves pushed Corruption to 9 via an Eye(3r), a 1, and OOTW(2r). As the WK fell and I struggled to conquer my last four VPs elsewhere around the board, the FSP moved again and hit the 4/13 chance of drawing an Eye for 3r - curtains! I should have mined for more corruption cards because my dice were unhelpful: -10 on 6s and +8/+9 for 1s and 2s at game end. All in all a fun game and for someone with less than a dozen plays under his belt, Ben did exceedingly well.

Rafamir beats Newplayer
Diff 0 +/- 16
Rafamir
Shadow 500 > 516
Free 500
Games 0 > 1
Average 0 > 8

Newplayer
Shadow 500
Free 500 > 484
Games 0 > 1
Average 0 > -8

Those of us who don't have a game on this year's ladder yet are listed with an average score of 0.0 which seems to be messing with the results checker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a very epic game, we both really enjoyed the game and are hoping for another epic game next week. (Logs are sent for those who are interested)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The fellowship started with some heavy harassments. After Moria, just before entering Lorien the fellowship already had 6 corruption and lost Strider to a random casaulty. After swift recovery in Lorien and with a protected road to follow the FSP went on to the Brown Lands. Not much later the first attack, on the Fords of Isen, was commencing. Wormtonque kept the horse lords distracted and so the force from Dol Goldur entered Rohan. There intention was to attack Lorien, but that was a Power To Great. In the mean time WWSaT was in play and only Gimli was left to guide the FSP into Mordor. Just before the FSP entered Mordor the first Eye hunt tile was drawn. Slowly the forces of Mordor were creeping towards Gondor. Most battles were over rather quickly (due to some very well timed lucky dice). Dol Amroth heard the news and gathered all the forces it could muster. After Minas Tirith, Rohan fell and Pelargir followed. The Witch-King went back to Angmar and conquered the Shire. Some Easterlings went on to attack Dale, which got company from the Woodland Realm Elves. After some rounds of combat the remaining forces retreated into the protected trees again. The last turn (turn 11) started Dol Amroth was doomed to fall, but could the defenders give Frodo enough time to dunk the ring? IN the end Dol Amroth fell (again some nice dice rolls) and Frodo decided to go for it. On the last step of Mount Doom the ring overtook Frodo and Middle-earth fell into darkness.

Koolin beats herintontr (New Player)
Diff 0 +/- 16
Koolin
Shadow 500 > 516
Free 500
Games 0 > 1
Average 0 > 8

Newplayer
Shadow 500
Free 500 > 484
Games 0 > 1
Average 0 > -8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.