• [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal coins are so expensive for what they give. You can find similar metal tokens far more cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Shkar wrote:
Metal coins are so expensive for what they give. You can find similar metal tokens far more cheaper.

Yup - I saw that! I don't mind a lot of people pledging for them of course .. when the add-on was announced it gave the KS a nice boost! I am actually a bit surpised so few people will take them. At least according to the poll, that is ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Coins?

I'll use what they give me in the box or maybe order the cheap-os from ebay.

Playmat board?

Easy choice. It won't fit on my table.

Expansion?

I am currently 50/50 on adding it. I did select it for the poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jamieson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially added the pledge for the metal coins, but I think they're plastic now anyway? Like most people said, you can find similar ones on various sites.

The #1 reason I'm getting the expansion, is for the KSEs that are included with it. It would annoy me to have 6 clans with the stronghold tokens, and the other 2 without.

Playmat... undecided. If it's between that, and $30 towards another game, I'm leaning another game.

Thats my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MightyMattJ wrote:
I initially added the pledge for the metal coins, but I think they're plastic now anyway? Like most people said, you can find similar ones on various sites.

The #1 reason I'm getting the expansion, is for the KSEs that are included with it. It would annoy me to have 6 clans with the stronghold tokens, and the other 2 without.

Playmat... undecided. If it's between that, and $30 towards another game, I'm leaning another game.

Thats my 2 cents.

The coins you receive with the game by default are plastic. There is an additional add-on you can get that gives you metal coins. However, it's really easy to search for "i ching wealth coins" in amazon and find an 87 pack for $9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence about Dynasty. I'm gonna try to sell my unpacked Mountain Giant from BR, gonna see if I can fund that add-on with that money.
I'm definitely not going to get any other addon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the base game and the Dynasty expansion for me.

If the game is good, it will be awesome to have the extra clans (and especially the KS exclusives that come with it). Given the designer and the publisher, I feel like it is a good bet (though I am concerned we've not seen the rule book).

I am not even tempted by the rest.

It sounds like they have one add-on more planned. If it is is not cosmetic and influences game play, I'll probably get it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Keese
Germany
Lauenau
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alliance tokens and strongholds
¨

Add-ons that would be nice to see:
- better and more sophisticated metal coins, because the current ones are even less appealing than many Feng-Shui cheapos.
- Castle strongholds, because there are many Japanese themed games out there, for which a few extra packs of the castles would constitute some needed eye-candy.
- Alliance tokens, because that Yin-&-Yang symbolism is so ubiquitious that one could use a few spare packs for all kinds of purposes.

The castles and tokens are already done, so it would not cause CMON any extra effort to offer additional packs as add-ons.

With regard to what's currently on offer, the poll results show what's hot and what's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Coins & Larger Board

Not interested in expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a reverso-pledger in that I'm not going to back the game, but I might piggyback on someone else's pledge and get the (expected) art book, which seems to be the least popular add-on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Moyano Loyola
Argentina
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is so strange for people that some of us are backing the coins? I think on them as a push to help unlocking SG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm hoping for another epic add-on that adds to the core game for all clans. Introduce a new combo to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dynasty expansion and the big mat, so far.

I can get better looking coins cheaper and if they do an art book, I will pass on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only getting Dynasty so far as it's actually more gameplay replayability. At first I was in for the metal coins, but recently backed out of those. My plan is to keep the expansion wrapped until I get a play in of the base game. I imagine the KS version of the expansion will have some good resell value due to the exclusives. But the Dynasty stuff is so cool to me, I'm sure I'll end up keeping it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
MightyMattJ wrote:

Thats my 2 cents.

The coins you receive with the game by default are plastic. There is an additional add-on you can get that gives you metal coins. However, it's really easy to search for "i ching wealth coins" in amazon and find an 87 pack for $9.

Am I the only one that feels weird to buy Chinese coins for a game based on Japan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
MightyMattJ wrote:

Thats my 2 cents.

Am I the only one that feels weird to buy Chinese coins for a game based on Japan?

Quite a few things in this game are not Japanese already. It's quite jarring for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
ayejae wrote:

If you want something more authentic, you can just get a whole bunch of real Japanese currency 5 yen coins. They're worth slightly less than $0.05 USD apiece. They have a round hole in the center.

You could get the 65 mentioned in the add-on for about US $3.25, plus whatever upcharge your bank charges you. If you're lucky and have someone traveling to or in Japan you could have them send you the coins.

At this point I'm only backing the Invasion expansion, but I would back the Art Book if they offered one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfiinger
msg tools
Jools wrote:
ayejae wrote:
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
MightyMattJ wrote:

Thats my 2 cents.

Quite a few things in this game are not Japanese already. It's quite jarring for me.

Oh please do tell, as I'm very interested in its authenticity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grolen Keminrun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You've gotten me curious.
Which elements are most jarring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
Grolen wrote:

Here are the elements other people have mentioned that I've seen here and other places.

1) coins look like Chinese feng shui good luck coins

2) There has never been a "Kyoto" province, and on the RS map the city of Kyoto would be located in the province of Kansai, so the "province" of Kyoto wouldn't actually have the "city" of Kyoto in it.

3) The Sunanake Baba (which is from Japanese myth) is dressed up like a stereotypical western witch.

4) The Sacred Warrior is a Panda, which has nothing to do with Japanese myth.

5) The Kitsune looks like it comes out of Robin Hood (note: the person making this comment may not have been serious when they mentioned it)

6) The Daikaiju isn't from myth, Kaiju are a modern Japanese creation. It would be like having a mythological game of England and having James Bond in it.

7) The Clans in the Invasion expansion are all Chinese.

I myself am slightly annoyed by numbers 3 and 4. Number 2 I didn't realize until someone mentioned it and now it's kind of hard to NOT see. The rest I realized, but didn't really care about one way or the other.

But not annoyed enough to give up my backing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Strongholds and tokens
KarstenKeese wrote:
Add-ons that would be nice to see:
- better and more sophisticated metal coins
- Castle strongholds
- Alliance tokens
The castles and tokens are already done, so it would not cause CMON any extra effort to offer additional packs as add-ons.

Second that, but they would have to be available on their own, as add-ons to a $1 base pledge, because the game itself has become too much of just another collection of plastic monsters to justify the expense.

That is a matter of taste and personal opinion, no need to argue whether or not the game is good or bad. Selling the strongholds and tokens can add more money to CMON's coffers, from people who will not pay the full amount of the game for them, nothing more, nothing less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Qui Peccavit wrote:

That is a matter of taste and personal opinion, no need to argue whether or not the game is good or bad.

Qui Peccavit wrote:

Why the hell can we only get good games with cardboard counters or cubes or over-produced psychedelic monster crap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
Grolen wrote:

Here are the elements other people have mentioned that I've seen here and other places.

1) coins look like Chinese feng shui good luck coins

My understanding is that this is accurate for the coins Japan was using at the time. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokugawa_coinage )

Quote:
2) There has never been a "Kyoto" province, and on the RS map the city of Kyoto would be located in the province of Kansai, so the "province" of Kyoto wouldn't actually have the "city" of Kyoto in it.

There is a Kyoto city. It is not the only province named after a city, it's just not in the right geographical location. It is still Japaneese

Quote:
3) The Sunanake Baba (which is from Japanese myth) is dressed up like a stereotypical western witch.

4) The Sacred Warrior is a Panda, which has nothing to do with Japanese myth.

5) The Kitsune looks like it comes out of Robin Hood (note: the person making this comment may not have been serious when they mentioned it)

6) The Daikaiju isn't from myth, Kaiju are a modern Japanese creation. It would be like having a mythological game of England and having James Bond in it.

I don't think it's fair to accuse the KS extras of not being Japanese, not all of them are meant to be. They are extras, not part of the core game, so they can do some extra 'fun' things with them.

Quote:
7) The Clans in the Invasion expansion are all Chinese.

They are specifically called foreign invaders, and as such should not be Japanese.

Number 2 seems like the only one that is a valid complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryder Grindle
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I was considering the Dynasty Invasion expansion add-on, but the sheer number of minis that have been unlocked by the stretch goals have made it a far less appealing proposition now. Considering the game won't ship until the start of 2018 and is going to contain around 80 minis now, I'm doubting I'll get them all painted and have the game on the table before 2019!
It's becoming daunting to the point I'm almost considering backing out entirely.
I think this might be the Kickstarter that proves that there actually CAN be too much stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.