Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about picking this up. I have Tac Air but the forums suggest Air and Armor is a must buy also. Still valid or are there better games to buy in a similar scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I have both. Tac Air is prettier and is fun, but seems to have been made by USAF fanboys. Air & Armor focusses on command cycles and definitely has its feet solidly on terra firma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there is a VASSAL module, is it a decent PBEM candidate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Air & Armor is a good buy.

Another game of similar scale that is worth a look (and often overlooked) is Drive on Frankfurt, a magazine game that is a contemporary with Air & Armor with a similar scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may need to look for that, Jon Southard design I think? I liked my East Front Counterattack game (Chir river) so I may need to give this a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bit the bullet...on its way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you enjoy the games (Air & Armor, Drive on Frankfurt, TAC Air).

Being a kid at the end of the Cold War and having the occasional nightmare about nuclear war during the Reagan years, I've been fond of (nostalgic?) NATO vs WP games, even if I don't get to play them often.

What I have seen of the above three games, I've enjoyed and believe each of them are entertaining as games and secondly as a depiction of an alternate history that thankfully never came to pass.

There aren't many modern era, high intensity, operational level wargame designs out there.

Another game that I'm not familiar with that may be of interest is Flashpoint: Golan, designed by Mark Herman and published after the fall of the Berlin Wall. The game was originally set in Europe and then relocated to the Middle East for marketing reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just arrived, reading the rules now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
A good buy, it's still the best around for my money. Tac Air and Drive on Frankfurt are not bad, but this is top of the heap. Flashpoint Golan is quite good but intricate and very luck-dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. I am really enjoying the background material now. Not sure why I didn't pick this up back in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.