Popular Tags: [View All]
gabor nagy
Hungary
Solymár
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,
We played today this game, and we just surprised when realized the quality difference between the KS and retail version. And which is more interesting the retail is looking better...

link: https://ibb.co/ewma3v

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n s
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, i wonder if we get some explanation from the creator why get the kickstarter backers lower quality miniatures then the retail customers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Mobile Armoured Strike Kommand
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the retail one the one with textured fur? In the first photo, the textured fur miniature is on the left, then the others like it are on the right... confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey has stated that they improved the sculpt detail after the KS print run was completed, so newer retail copies will have more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabor nagy
Hungary
Solymár
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The detailed and furred (better) is the retail version on all picture.
I think the difference is seeable, that's why I don't marked all mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this has been brought up before, and Jamey said the molds were improved in between prints or they used a different company or something like that, resulting in the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
As MentatYP said, this is due to the improvement the factory made after the Kickstarter. The first retail versions have the same minis as the kickstarter versions. The minis in the expansion have also the improved quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Ugh. Bullshit.
Why? Stonemaier shouldn't improve the quality of their games over time? Would you have been happier if Jamey passed on the opportunity to make Scythe even better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Ugh. Bullshit.
Why? Stonemaier shouldn't improve the quality of their games over time? Would you have been happier if Jamey passed on the opportunity to make Scythe even better?

I am a kickstarter backer and a painter.

Should have been improved in the first place.

I'll sell the game, not a huge deal.

I'll probably make money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's quite a difference, wouldn't even care if I hadn't already gotten through painting a lot of my KS'er ones and hated some of the details in the models.

I don't think that the wolf or tiger look better with the fur sculpting (seems too chunky/coarse), so that doesn't really make sense to me. But the humans are far better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that from a painter standpoint I was also disappointed. The new versions look way better for painting!

scifiantihero wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Ugh. Bullshit.

I am a kickstarter backer and a painter.

Should have been improved in the first place.

I'll sell the game, not a huge deal.

I'll probably make money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you make 100,000 copies of a game, you have to update the moulds (the sculpts themselves have not changed). When we update the moulds, our team at Panda makes incremental updates to the miniatures to improve durability and detail.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
When you make 100,000 copies of a game, you have to update the moulds (the sculpts themselves have not changed). When we update the moulds, our team at Panda makes incremental updates to the miniatures to improve durability and detail.

Is there any way to make these upgraded figures purchasable? I'm planning on painting mine eventually and would love to get the better details without buying a fresh edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Serious is serious.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Seems perfectly reasonable to me---what's the big deal here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeezy wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Seems perfectly reasonable to me---what's the big deal here?

Those pictures make the originals look like complete toy soldier crap.

Having crap certainly is a reason for someone to be kinda sad, right? Do you want crap?

The reaons don't matter too much. No one likes shit on their shelf.

Dunno if it's a huge deal. But it's still waking up to see someone on bgg pointing out the crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Is there any way to make these upgraded figures purchasable? I'm planning on painting mine eventually and would love to get the better details without buying a fresh edition.

Jamey sells the minis on the Stonemaier site, you'd have to contact him to see if you could tell if the ones being sold were updated.

https://shop.trycelery.com/page/474ecdd8-7dbb-4068-b1e9-4f5d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n s
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the end, the backers (who made the game possible) got lower quality stuff then the retail customers. Its a good practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Serious is serious.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you feel like your game is crap just because things get improved upon over time? That's a pretty crappy attitude, dude. tobacco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denman Scofield
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Since Jamey is too nice to say it... When you (haters) make you're own massively successful game and produce over 100,000 copies... you can do it in such a way that this doesn't happen. Should be real easy.

But for real tho Jamey... the lack of furry deets on the wolf is destroying my immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n s
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeezy wrote:
So you feel like your game is crap just because things get improved upon over time? That's a pretty crappy attitude, dude. tobacco

So i need to feel happy, because if someone buys the game now, he got a better version, and they dont need to wait a year for his box?

No, i dont feel that my game is crap. I certainly know that my figures are way worse then the retail ones.

Why is that if you buy the game now, you can buy almost anything that the ks version offered, so in the end you got an almost ks version, but if you backed the project, you got crappier stuff, and you dont really have a chance to upgrade it?

If its a crappy attitude, then it is, i dont really care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
kisnord wrote:
Skeezy wrote:

So i need to feel happy, because if someone buys the game now, he got a better version, and they dont need to wait a year for his box?

No, i dont feel that my game is crap. I certainly know that my figures are way worse then the retail ones.

Why is that if you buy the game now, you can buy almost anything that the ks version offered, so in the end you got an almost ks version, but if you backed the project, you got crappier stuff, and you dont really have a chance to upgrade it?

If its a crappy attitude, then it is, i dont really care.

Then go on and buy the miniatures dircetly from Jamey, the link is already posted above. This will give you the better quality and you still save money with the Kickstarter price + the miniatures in comparison to buying a retail version and upgrading it with all the Kickstarter pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's put things into perspective here.

Kickstarter backers got a phenomenal board game, with many cool extras at a very good price point. ( scalable to pledge level).

Product development and improvement is a natural process, probably accelerated in this instance by Scythes huge success. ( Jamey has stated the reasons for the moulds being undated).

It would be a sad world if people were more happy to see the latest recent retail editions with inferior miniatures and not more detailed ones due to manufacturing improvements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone rolls out of bed and finds a pile of crap on their floor.

Turns out, there's a bunch of perfectly reasonable reasons it's there.

But you expect them to...be happy?

The negative emotions people are experiencing are very normal and pretty darned easy to understand. Not doing so or pretending not to do so is weird. Seriously, not having the empathy to grasp that very simple experience is odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original models are still pretty darned good, robust and work with the game perfectly .
I have empathy for many real and hard situations in life , this discussion is definitely not one of them. I'm out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |