Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Eric Lang's game designs. And I am a total japanophile, having lived there, and studied and enjoyed Japanese culture, religion, and philosophy for many years. So this game seemed like a no-brainer for me. I happily pulled together my funds, and was ready to back it.

However, something bugged me. And it was something more than the fact that it is expensive, and with my group it would probably not get played as often as I would like. It finally hit me, that the art design turns me off.

I know quite a bit about traditional Japanese art, and there is certainly an element of the macabre present. However, the designs in this game seem to be emphasizing the grotesque to a degree too far for my taste.

This is a very personal reaction, which I do not expect many of those who backed the game to share. But I am wondering if anyone else has been turned off in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Guinea
msg tools
I was all in until a couple of days ago. I then decided to cancel my pledge. With the grotesqueness of the art style it simply would not get played in my group...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Well except for the japanophile thing

I wanted (expected) to be totally in love with this game, and it turned out to be an endless list of "yes but"s. This is just one of them, but yeah I get you. It's like it wants to be Kingdom Death. But why? It's a game about diplomacy (supposedly) why are there corpses and severed heads left and right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely respect your opinion on this, and can see why you might feel this way. For what it's worth though, I don't have an issue with it. But, take it with a grain of salt as I also backed Kingdom Death. This is pretty tame compared to that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
I completely respect your opinion on this, and can see why you might feel this way. For what it's worth though, I don't have an issue with it. But, take it with a grain of salt as I also backed Kingdom Death. This is pretty tame compared to that

Right. But at this point we're closer to kingdom death than blood rage. All we need is some exposed genitals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:

Right. But at this point we're closer to kingdom death than blood rage. All we need is some exposed genitals.
I think you mean closer to Chaos in the Old World or The Others than Blood Rage. Eric's history with dark/grotesque games is nothing new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:

Blood Rage art is wrong. Too colourful and tame for what it portrays.

Have you seen Ghost Stories? I think GS on a similar style in terms of how macabre the art is, except it has just card art instead of mini sculpts. But it does wonders for the theme even so - I love the art of GS even though I'm not a fan of the japanese style. Rising Sun style I like less, but if what they're goign for is "japanese style with gods and demons, dialled up to 11" I think they're nailing it and I can respect that.

Wait, aren't you the guy that complained about the existence of a spider seductress monster despite it being a common mythical trope? Go figure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to know which sculps or card art you find grotesque?

The game seems pretty tame, especially if you compare it to many of the other games that have been released in the past few years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm calling BS on this post! I just went back and looked over the KS campaign and I can't see even one think I would even consider as grotesque.

I can't say I've seen ever piece of concept art or sculpt, so maybe I'm just not seeing the exact thingsyou guys are discribing.

Also, how do you even compare this to KDM... I mean yes, it's a table top game and it has a lot of figures... seriously, WTF!

My original post about being curious on what you exactly find grotesque still stands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:
I'm calling BS on this post! I just went back and looked over the KS campaign and I can't see even one think I would even consider as grotesque.

I can't say I've seen ever piece of concept art or sculpt, so maybe I'm just not seeing the exact thingsyou guys are discribing.

Also, how do you even compare this to KDM... I mean yes, it's a table top game and it has a lot of figures... seriously, WTF!

My original post about being curious on what you exactly find grotesque still stands
While I don't have a problem with the content, I have seen people take the position of the OP in specific regard to the headless bodies the Oni of Souls design and even before the KS people were commenting about Yurei. I think the comment is valid, though as I mentioned before, this is not not to the level of previous games from Eric or CMON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:

Oni of Blood and Oni of Souls. I'm not personally offended by these images, but I can definitely see where many players could be resistant to playing with headless corpses and corpseless heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratagon wrote:
Jaisyl wrote:

Oni of Blood and Oni of Souls. I'm not personally offended by these images, but I can definitely see where many players could be resistant to playing with headless corpses and corpseless heads.

So a person would be all into a game prominently featuring demons but draw the line at severed heads? That doesn't seem right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:
I'd be interested to know which sculps or card art you find grotesque?

I'm not bothered by the sculpts, but a couple stand out. For example, Yurei, with the many bodies vomiting tentacles and Jinmenju, with a bunch of disembodies heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Art is fine. It's the gameplay I'm worried about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
So a person would be all into a game prominently featuring demons but draw the line at severed heads? That doesn't seem right...

There is a difference between something being called a 'demon', and being put off by the visual presentation of a sculpt. Not even close to the same thing.

"You're put off by the visuals, but you're okay with the names?" Yes, that seems perfectly reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:

So many decapitated heads, not to mention the occasional corpse split in half from head to toe. It's a bit much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditional Japanese art, it's not, but it seems to me to mostly be authentically within the scope of mythologically-inspired manga. I'd be fine with a faithful representation of traditional art, but I'm equally fine with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please post the stuff you guys are talking about

I don't know if the sculps/pics just don't show up on the iPhone KS app, but I swear I'm either blind or you people are F'in crazy.

I don't see any of the names/pics you guys are mentioning, and it's driving me bat shit crazy right now!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaisyl wrote:
Can someone please post the stuff you guys are talking about

I don't know if the sculps/pics just don't show up on the iPhone KS app, but I swear I'm either blind or you people are F'in crazy.

I don't see any of the names/pics you guys are mentioning, and it's driving me bat shit crazy right now!!!

Enjoy... ? Not sure that's the right exhortation to use here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5TJTmjWcAUDZwD.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few creepy models but I'm not buying this to play with children and none of my group I do plan to play this with are put off by monsters and ghoulies. I like the art, but understand if others don't. The game isn't hiding anything, make your own judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find the artwork (minis mostly) amazing and I have absolutely no problem with it.

Actually, the term grotesque never crossed my mind.

Also, something I don'to, and I see a LOT of people doing, is over-comparing Rising Sun to Blood Rage.

I think that that is ruining some people expectations as they seem to want a Blood Rage 2.0 instead of a brand new, unique game.

But again, this is only a matter of personal taste and mine isn't right or wrong.

I like it and I'm very excited about it. If you don't feel the same, there's loads of other games out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditional japanese art has fair shar of grotesque, gore and brutality included, I believe (For people interested, this may not be actually old japanese art, but look what I've found a while ago http://imgur.com/account/favorites/k2jPI )

And Grotesque is the factor that I really adore about Eric's games. My personal taste as I do love grimdark and stuff.

All the discussions about RS in nutshell

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was perfectly cool with all of the sculpts up until this last stretchgoal. Something about the spider-demon lady covered in disembodied heads just really discomfits me.

I'm not that bothered by the Yurei (pile of ghosts and tentacles), the Oni of Souls' "trophies" aren't that bad in my eyes, the daimyo holding a bunch of heads? Who cares. I honestly didn't even notice the heads on the Oni of Bloods' tusks until now... but that damn spider... I can't put my finger on what or why but its a step too far for me. Maybe its the fact that the grotesqueness is now at a level of absurdity and is the MAIN focus of the mini, not an accent. I don't really know.

All this kind of gets back to some other comments I've seen. The macabre and ghastly approach is not one people seem to have expected from this genre/theme. Its unnecessary and the majority of sculpts actually do fit people's expectations. But then theres just a few that stand out a fair bit further down the spectrum of "nasty." I didn't mind, its just an artistic liberty they chose. However, my copy will now have a dirty secret and thats a spider mini and card locked away to never see the light of gamnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.