Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Gilmore
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

Loving this DIY section of BGG. Looking to build/design a Board Game Table and have lots of inspiration from many members here.

The biggest question I haven't seen discussed much though is seating.

What are your thoughts on bench seating vs chair vs computer chair?

I could have my carpenter make benches or chairs that would match the stain of the table or I could just buy some cheap computer chairs.

I have never had a game night yet at my place but gaming group is about 8 on average.

With the flexibility of benches being it makes it easier to spread out or squeeze in more people. My concern with the bench is comfort. Game night is typically 3 hours so not being able to lean back for that amount of time could be annoying.

Cost per chair or per computer chair is presumably higher than a bench.

Computer Chairs I would estimate are the most comfortable. Their con is typically they have wheels so would need to either remove them or put down some carpet guard to enable use of the wheels.

Standard Dining Chairs are an option but would need to get 8 that matched and that could get expensive at typically $50 a chair.

What do you use for seating at your game table? What would you recommend?

Have you used a bench before? Did you go padded or solid wood? Storage in the bench?

Look forward to some feedback from some fellow gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not go with benches. Different people might want to sit a different amount away from the table. Differently sized people could also affect that. That's not even getting into the issues with not having a back and the comfort involved with long term bench sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
I would not go with benches. Different people might want to sit a different amount away from the table. Differently sized people could also affect that. That's not even getting into the issues with not having a back and the comfort involved with long term bench sitting.

Agree, definitely don't go with benches! In addition to the problems oriecat mentions, there's also the general disruption every time someone in the middle of the bench wants to get up or return to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer not to sit on a bench.

As far as chairs, I can sit on one longer if it has padding or a seat cushion (vs. just a wood seat). You can get seat cushions separately from the chairs if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comfort is key. I really don't enjoy sitting on a hard surface for extended periods of time and don't want my gaming guests to have to endure any amount of discomfort.

My solution was Craigslist. I found a local company that was liquidating some office supplies, including their conference room chairs. I picked up a set for $50 each.

They are great - soft, leather(ish), super comfortable, rotate, tilt, raise/lower, on casters, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Broti
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Computer or conference chairs are for sure the most comfortable solution. They usually aren't pretty, though. And they take LOTS of space. If you take of the casters they are hard to move because they usually are a bit heavy and the rotating base gets in the way.

If you want to squeeze as many people as possible and still want them all to sit comfortably go for normal but comfy chairs. This is the most flexible solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigRedGamer wrote:
What are your thoughts on bench seating vs chair vs computer chair?

Computer chairs would be more comfortable for each, but you may end up with the issue of armrests banging against each other when people shift around, and you won't fit as many around the table as with benches.

OTOH, benches would seat more players around the table, but with less comfort, due to harder seats (even with padding) and no backrests (as you observed).

Chairs occupy the proverbial middle ground of this range.

So, what would be best for your group ultimately depends on your group; why not ask them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmb
It sounds like you're planning on making your own table. I've always thought if I were to have a dedicated gaming table, I'd build it with tall legs (bar height). that way you and your guests could stand easily while playing (also good for games with long reach). then buy some tall stools or high bar chairs to match the table. that way you can sit/stand which is good for health and comfort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robertson
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the biggest variable to seating is the type of game being played.

Wargames or minatures where you're constantly over the table make stools or standing the most comfortable while card games or less active games can make sitting at chairs more comfortable.

Having arms on chairs seems unnecessary, not sure how easy it is to take them off, but adjusting the seat height might prove useful at times.

Obviously there's not a perfect solution to this common problem, it really depends on the table size and games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally stand the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Gilmore
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input everyone! I opted for some wooden folding chairs that are padded. So can store them away when not needed. Will also have 2 computer chairs for my wife and I who are the primary users of the table.

Will be sure to post pictures when I get the table set up in a few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Although late to the thread, I'd like to mention that I have some plain, Ethan Allen brand, solid wood dining chairs with contoured seats that are more comfortable to me than some cheap padded chairs. I've played games sitting in these chairs comfortably for hours on end.

The seats of these dining chairs are scooped out so that the weight of people in the normal size range is spread over a large area of their skin. A good pad on a flat chair seat does a similar thing, but usually not quite as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.