J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
As per topic, I've read around and have seen various conflicted views regarding going two or one handed for solo. For one handed solo players, which build is viable for majority of the quests since we have such a large card pool now. Mono, bi, or trispheres? I'm not a fan of constantly deconstructing and built a new deck just to tackle each quest as it is extremely time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quests are nearly impossible mono-sphere. For example, there is a quest in the core set which focuses on questing and is nearly impossible for a mono-sphere tactics deck.

Another of the core quests is nearly impossible playing solo single handed.

Playing solo single handed, it's extremely difficult to play a tri-sphere 50 card deck.

IMHO, the game plays best with two. Either two players or solo double handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not invest past the first three cycles. Mono or dual solo no changing is also how I like to play and past Heirs is rediculous without power decking. For me, lore/tactics combos pretty well or mono lore. Spirit/tactics is also good depending on the heros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
salparadice1 wrote:
I would not invest past the first three cycles. Mono or dual solo no changing is also how I like to play and past Heirs is rediculous without power decking. For me, lore/tactics combos pretty well or mono lore. Spirit/tactics is also good depending on the heros.

I disagree. I play solo one-handed, I like to play decks with a theme -- Noldor, Silvan, Dwarves, Rangers, etc. -- and have beaten almost every quest that way. In fact, at Ringsdb, I've posted my series of Dunedain decks that beat the Angmar Awakened cycle and my Noldor decks that defeated the Dreamchaser cycle. (And I always beat a quest with a particular deck twice before I post it.) I am far from the greatest deckbuilder in the world and steal ideas liberally. I would not call any of my decks "power decks".

Sure, there are many quests that you will lose a lot before you win as you tweak your decks and search the internet for some different ideas. But there are only a few that require power-decking --- including the 3rd one in the Core Set, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Building a 50-card deck from a core set is pretty tough (although maybe worth trying ... or go for 40 cards or something). Once you get a little ways into the first cycle, though, there are a number of two-sphere builds that can work for solo play.

Although it's not necessary to build a new deck from scratch for each quest, you may find that a little bit of tweaking helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enral wrote:
For one handed solo players, which build is viable for majority of the quests since we have such a large card pool now. Mono, bi, or trispheres?

here's my take on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
dr00 wrote:
enral wrote:
For one handed solo players, which build is viable for majority of the quests since we have such a large card pool now. Mono, bi, or trispheres?

here's my take on it

Care to explain how it works? The build looks very interesting. Can it play through most of the quests in normal mode? Also, I thought Gandalf is pretty much a staple...is there a reason for its exclusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enral wrote:
dr00 wrote:
enral wrote:

here's my take on it

Care to explain how it works? The build looks very interesting. Can it play through most of the quests in normal mode? Also, I thought Gandalf is pretty much a staple...is there a reason for its exclusion?

it's all built around Caldara

the way she works is, you discard her from play, then calculate how many spirit-sphere heroes you have, and bring that many spirit allies from your discard into play.

so in a monosphere spirit with 3 heroes, you discard her, you get 2 allies. when she was first released, a lot of people had trouble figuring out how to use her.

there's obviously Fortune or Fate from the core, which you can use to bring her back into play, but unless both allies cost cumulatively cost more than 5, it's not really worth it.

one thing that was common at the time was to try to use Zigil Miner and Imladris Stargazer to stack the top of your deck and mill cards for lots of resources to pay for all of this. again, you could have just as easily used those resources to simply pay for stuff, but it did have a nice side effect of putting cards into your discard pile to then play with Caldara. it was a nice synergy that was almost workable.

but since her introduction, a few key cards have been introduced.

most notably, ally Prince Imrahil

he's really great because the second you discard Caldara, if he's already in play, he becomes a third hero for Caldara's ability (he doesn't if you want to bring him into play with Caldara's ability). this does a couple of things. the most obvious is getting a third ally right away. the next, and arguably more important, you're still generating 3 resources next turn. before, you'd discard Caldara and only get 2 on the next turn unless you played Fortune or Fate right away.

the second is a similar card: Sword-thain, which turns one of your many unique spirit-sphere allies into yet another hero, letting you get up to 4 allies at a time when you discard Caldara

once these released, there was insane value to be had.

other ancillary cards that released: Arwen Undomiel hero, which lets you discard a card for a resource. this does two things: more resource acceleration, and pitches cards to the discard so that you can play them

Eowyn from the core is a similar hero, but i think 1 resource is generally worth more than 1 willpower. the other option, and my preferred, is Cirdan the Shipwright, since he lets you dig through your deck faster and also pitch more cards. if you choose Eowyn and Arwen as your two heroes, you end up discarding more than you draw, and it's hard to keep it up.

Glorfindel ally is another great addition, since you offers more discards, can be played from the discard with resources (if that's a better option for you), and can give you more options to discard during your turn

i also like Light of Valinor + Narya on Cirdan, which gives you some decent value since you have so many good allies

Erebor Guard is another great addition for many reasons. my deck is filled with 4-cost cards to help synergise Imladris Stargazer + Zigil Miner as much as possible, but he plays for 2 with 2 discards, which is actually preferrable here

a lot of the other cards are pretty self-explanatory. Elven Lightand Lindir are good for drawing up, Emery is good for pitching more cards, is a 'free' ally, and she, along with a bunch of others in the deck, are unique allies, perfect for Sword-thain.

Rhovanion Outrider and Northern Tracker are great for location control, and they can attack/defend for a decent amount as well (great targets for Narya)

if you don't have 2-3 cores, you'll have to proxy for Dwarven Tomb and Fortune or Fate, respectively, but they're fairly essential cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the in depth explanation, I'll definitely consider it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enral wrote:
Thanks for the in depth explanation, I'll definitely consider it!

I am unable to view dr00's deck at the moment, but modern Caldara decks can beat the vast majority of the nightmare decks solo one-handed. While it is incredibly fun to play, it sort of trivializes many scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enral wrote:
As per topic, I've read around and have seen various conflicted views regarding going two or one handed for solo. For one handed solo players, which build is viable for majority of the quests since we have such a large card pool now. Mono, bi, or trispheres? I'm not a fan of constantly deconstructing and built a new deck just to tackle each quest as it is extremely time consuming.

If you have the *full* card pool, you can beat the majority of (non-nightmare) quests monosphere, dual-sphere, tri-sphere, and one-handed, two-handed, three-handed, or four-handed. There's really no combination of spheres that is not viable for most quests.

Now if you want a deck that will beat *every* quest a majority of the time, that's an entirely differently question. Probably nothing one-handed qualifies thanks to Dol Goldur.

If you're just starting out and are confined to core/first cycle, you'll want to go two-handed for Dol Goldur and Return to Mirkwood, and you'll want to avoid monosphere because you don't have enough good cards yet (or either of the heroes that makes mono-tactics one-handed viable), but otherwise you can use any combination of spheres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Some quests are nearly impossible mono-sphere. For example, there is a quest in the core set which focuses on questing and is nearly impossible for a mono-sphere tactics deck.

This is true with a starting card pool, but not with the full card pool. Mono-lore, mono-leadership, mono-spirit one-handed were able to provide enough questing heft early in the game, but Mono-tactics one-handed requires either a quest that doesn't use willpower-based questing (some in Heirs of Numenor cycle can do this), or one/both of Tactics Theoden (Morgul Vale) and Tactics Eowyn (Flame of the West). Together TaEowyn and TaTheoden by themselves quest for 8, which is stellar for one-handed starting questing even without using the third tactics hero for questing as well.

Quote:
Another of the core quests is nearly impossible playing solo single handed.

Very true. The good news is that after the core, the vast majority of quests are possible playing solo single-handed.

Quote:
Playing solo single handed, it's extremely difficult to play a tri-sphere 50 card deck.

I'd describe it as tricky rather than difficult -- you can easily make a bad tri-sphere deck by unbalanced or too-expensive cards, but a good tri-sphere deck can be powerful and fun. With just the core and first cycle you can fill out the Back-To-Basics tri-sphere deck to 50 cards:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-basics-kil...

That's good enough to beat most quests and pretty easy to pilot.

Quote:
IMHO, the game plays best with two. Either two players or solo double handed.

I think that's probably true, since it lets you experience all the keywords and rules. One-handed does have the not-insignificant advantage of playing a quest quicker, and with a smaller table footprint, then solo two-handed does. I think every solo player should at least try playing one-handed and two-handed for multiple quests. I don't plan on adopting either exclusively for my solo plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.