Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did a search and I don't see a thread for recommended background reading. If you were to recommend one book what would it be??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one and only one would have to be Thucydides

But be warned it can be very dry and austere and also he stopped writing mid-sentence when there was still lots of war left, so you might want to compliment it with Donald Kagan's one-volume book for a general and accessible history, or his four-volume history if you want something more academic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrackerJack747 wrote:
I did a search and I don't see a thread for recommended background reading. If you were to recommend one book what would it be??

The game comes with a Bibliography. As already stated Thucydides is a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've learned a good deal from this one:

Victor Davis Hanson, A War Like No Other: How the Athenians and Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Kagan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Davis Hanson's is the one I own, and I second that it's a great overview of what happened and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Luminati
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
Definitely Kagan.

That's what I'm reading to get ready for my copy to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald Kagan

He is undisputedly THE modern scholar on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very interesting insight into the issue of "honor" as measurement for success in this war and the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_torQuemada_ wrote:

Very interesting insight into the issue of "honor" as measurement for success in this war and the game.

Thanks, I'd like to read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
_torQuemada_ wrote:

Thanks, I'd like to read this.

Keep going, you are reconstructing the bibliography, getting there. ????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:

The playbook is not yet available. Would you be so kind as to share the bibliography with us as we wait for the actual release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:

Is this on it?

Actually I only know about this book from a search prompted by an interesting recent discussion on the wargamers forum about war colleges and the concern that Thucydides might be dropped from some programs. I went off on a tangent about why Thucydides stopped writing his history and linked to a lecture by Victor Davis Hanson where he speculates. Someone jumped in the discussion declaring Hanson "full of shit" for not talking about freedom for Greeks or somesuch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Blofeld
United States
Ocean View
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd heartily recommend this edition of Thucydides. As already noted the original can be dry and difficult to comprehend. This edition basically has the Cliff Notes version in the margins alongside the original text and has plentiful maps and contextual information right where you need them. It makes a world of difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
Noiseman wrote:
I'd heartily recommend this edition of Thucydides. As already noted the original can be dry and difficult to comprehend. This edition basically has the Cliff Notes version in the margins alongside the original text and has plentiful maps and contextual information right where you need them. It makes a world of difference.

Second that. This is what we read in my class on Thucydides at the Naval War College.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so here's a qualifying question for me. When I bought Churchill, I read the premiere recommended book that dealt with the subject (American Warlords). It was absolutely the best book for me, driven by stories and personalities and situations that solidified the frame of mind for me to enjoy Churchill at a high level.

So of the recommended books, and if anyone has read American Warlords, is there a book for the Peloponnesian Wars that is analogous to American Warlords in style?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Ok, so here's a qualifying question for me. When I bought Churchill, I read the premiere recommended book that dealt with the subject (American Warlords). It was absolutely the best book for me, driven by stories and personalities and situations that solidified the frame of mind for me to enjoy Churchill at a high level.

So of the recommended books, and if anyone has read American Warlords, is there a book for the Peloponnesian Wars that is analogous to American Warlords in style?

The biographical nature is hard to capture but I would read The Song of Wrath first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Looking now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Total historical fiction, but I liked it and it gave me a good feeling for the time in general;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving into fiction, here is Steven Pressfield's Tides of War:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
Definitely Kagan.

This book is a good overview from Kagan but if you want a very detailed account he also wrote a four volume work on the war which is really good. Years ago, I read this book then tracked down the four volumes when I couldn't get enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great tips, everyone. I've ordered all of these (well, except the four volume work, that one I'll probably do in wave 2. )

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Thanks for the great tips, everyone. I've ordered all of these (well, except the four volume work, that one I'll probably do in wave 2. )

Thanks again.

Just to remind everyone how old I am, I read the four volume Kagan series via interlibrary loan through my local library. Everyone should feel empowered to borrow books from libraries, else they will disappear.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife used to have NY public library main branch card to get books from all over for her research (masters in modern european military history) - inter library loan is a wonderful thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
While a student, I worked in my university library, fulfilling incoming interlibrary loan requests. It was actually a pretty cool job.

In Ohio, you can borrow a book from ANY county in the state, and they'll deliver it to your local public library branch for pick up, at no charge. Can't beat that.

So yeah - support your local library!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.