Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only say sorta because it's not something I've actively been looking for but rather musing about. I had been wondering if there was a game that only used dice, not for the rolling die value, but it's use and function was still instrumental in the gameplay. Unrelated, I had also looked at Hive, but didn't really want to learn all the special moves of each insect. Well, Cubeo (Two-6D6) seems to combine those two elements to make a nifty little game that is portable, uses fairly common items, easily taught/learned, but not so simple and with a layer of complexity, easily played at a pub/restaurant with very little footprint. And my gripe about Hive is solved by the die face telling you exactly what you need to do. It doesn't even need a score tracker.

In many respects this reminds me of my fascination with Lines of Action which essentially takes a checker set and makes a whole new and different game out of it.

For this game all you need to do is read the rules then thrift a few Yahtzee sets, or thrift one World Series of Yahtzee or Yahtzee Texas Hold'em which I have done many times to have enough dice for Reiner Knizia's Decathalon. Or just head to the closest dollar store.

So thank you very much for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I am very happy to see that my game cheers someone up. Sometimes great games rise from something old and well known; it just needs to change the point of view.

Cubeo is great game (for me) thanks to its hidden depth. What looks like simple movement and dice promotion, quickly becomes battle of the brains.

To first anniversary I tried to bring variation for more players. We ran a few playtests and I noticed that in more players speed of game dropped drasticaly after couple of moves. What seemed as clear path to go suddenly changed (as the board itself changes after every move). I still have think it through, but the essential feeling from original Cubeo is still there.

Once again, thanks for your message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.