Trent Bennett
msg tools
Hi all,

I apologise if this question has been asked before, a forum search for 'change' resulted in a gazillion hits...

Suppose I have drawn and put into play all farming technologies.

Suppose I have 2x Yellow Tokens and 2x Blue Tokens on Agriculture and 1x Yellow Token and 1x Blue Token on Selective Breeding.

No other tokens of either color exist on any other farming technology.

Suppose I wish to increase my population which will cost 3 Food.

Is there a correct upward or downward approach to making payment?

If I were to pay first with my Agriculture tokens (2 Food), I would have one food remaining to pay. I would utilize the Selective Breeding token (3 Food) and pay the remaining 1x Food leaving 2 in change so I would place 1 Blue Token on the Irrigation Card (despite the fact there are no workers on this card).

There are now 2x Blue Tokens on my farming cards.

Or should I be paying from the top down? This would mean paying 1x Blue Token from Selective Breeding. I'm left with 3x Blue Tokens across my farming cards.

Clearly the first approach is preferable as it leaves more blue tokens in the blue bank but it has a feel of making change upwards about it.

Can anyone clarify whether either of the above approaches is incorrect?

Thank you!

Trent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't understand your example.

First you don't need to have workers (yellow counters) on a technology to put blue tokens on it.

Second in your example you have 2*1 food and 1*3 food. So you simply pay 1*3 food .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Bennett
msg tools
Hi Tilou,

Allow me to clarify.

For now, forget the yellow tokens.

You're correct. I have 2*1 food and 1*3 food. Your suggestion would leave me with 2*1 food (2x blue tokens) but there is another way to do it that leaves me with only 1x blue token on my farming cards.

As far as I can see, I can pay using the tokens from the lowest level farms first, or the highest level farms first.

Your example would be to pay using the tokens from the highest level farms first and would leave me with 2*1 food (agriculture). Simple.

Alternatively, I could pay using the tokens from the lowest level farms first. In this instance I would pay firstly with the 2*1 food (2x blue tokens). Having therefore paid 2 Food with still 1 Food to pay, I could use the remaining 1*3 food (1x blue token) which leaves me with 2 food change.

I could then choose to make this change on the Irrigation card leaving me with 1*2 food.

One approach leaves me with 2x blue tokens on my farming cards (agriculture), the other leaves me with 1x blue token on my farming cards (irrigation).

The approach that leaves only one blue token on my irrigation card is preferable (for corruption reasons) but is it allowable?

Personally, I can't see why not. In the context of the game to increase population requires 3 food (in this instance) and food is food. It shouldn't matter which farm it comes from right? As I mentioned in my first post, it just has a hint of making change upwards which I know is not allowable.

That's why I'm looking to clarify.

The second thing I wanted to clarify was whether you can make change on a farming technology that you have put into play but at this particular point doesn't have any workers on it. I'm almost absolutely sure you can, just looking for back up on this

Thanks Tilou,

Trent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Understood. Tricky question indeed. You are allowed to downgrade but not to upgrade the blue tokens, so your move should be valid. But I think the spirit of the game is you cannot mess as you wish with your tokens and the most direct way is the only way possible.
Let's see what others have to say.

Point 2: Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
But I think the spirit of the game is you cannot mess as you wish with your tokens and the most direct way is the only way possible.
Let's see what others have to say.

I don't think this is correct... I think that what makes sense to do is use the way that puts more blue tokens back in the bank to avoid having corruption, don't know why doing that is against the spirit of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, spend as many blue tokens as you can to reduce corruption but no "upgrading" two lesser tokens for one better one even if you have a worker on that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah what they say. Disregard my previous answer. Since downgrading is allowed and what you propose is essentially to downgrade, it seems legit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the question is answered let's focus on the bigger issue here: you should NEVER play both Irrigation and Selective Breeding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your analysis. You can spend the 2 1x tokens first, then the 3x token, getting 2x in change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Bennett
msg tools
Hi everyone,

Thanks for providing your thoughts, I appreciate it!

grant5 wrote:
Since the question is answered let's focus on the bigger issue here: you should NEVER play both Irrigation and Selective Breeding!

I haven't even had the game long enough to figure out tactics and strategy yet! Very much looking forward to it.

Trent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.