Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,



This is my game Stained Glass Windows that is currently entered in the 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest.

Players 2-4
Time: 30-45 Minutes
Ages: 8+

-----

Game Play
Players are all painters, that have been tasked with painting the stain glass windows of a Cathedral. On your turn you will add a paint tile to the board. If you complete a grouping of one color, you may place another tile, OR you may end your turn and take a king's favor token (points at the end of the game.) When one player runs out of paint tiles the game is over, and the player with the most points wins.

Items Needed

- One page of color tiles per player (potential of 4 total.)
- 40 renown tokens (10 Red, 10 Yellow, 10 Green, and 10 Blue) I have 3 included sheets of them to print, but if you would like to save paper and ink the color is all that matters. Don't worry about the pieces all being the same size or shape, they are just for scoring.

Unique Aspect(s)
You score points equal to renown tokens still in the general supply, multiplied by renown of that color in your personal supply.

PnP Files and Rules can be found at
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx6Zkw7ocrvaMnMwWTdS...

---

If you would like to give feedback...
- How many people you played with, and what the point totals were?
- Does the game make sense with little illustration?
- Anything else that you would like to contribute would be awesome.

Thanks Everyone.

God Bless,
Wayne

------

[April 4,2017] 2.0 Rules Uploaded!

Changed a major aspect to how the renown tokens scoring works. It is now possible to "reset" the renown score, forcing players to potentially give up previously received renown.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
OK Wayne, I have changed the link in the entry thread to point here.

To keep the info all in one place, here's the categories you said you want to enter:

Quote:
- Best Date Night Game
- Best Game to Play with Your Child
- Best Casual/Gateway Game
- Best Game with Language Independent Components
- Best New Mechanic
- Best New Designer
- Best Game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
OK Wayne, I have changed the link in the entry thread to point here.

To keep the info all in one place, here's the categories you said you want to enter:

Quote:
- Best Date Night Game
- Best Game to Play with Your Child
- Best Casual/Gateway Game
- Best Game with Language Independent Components
- Best New Mechanic
- Best New Designer
- Best Game


Awesome! Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated with colorblind friendly components. I am looking at adding textures if that is something people would like, but for not I just add letters to each of the colors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the rules again. Biggest change is that the player who goes first now starts with 2 paint tiles instead of 3 (highlighted in the rulebook). Files can still be found at the same location.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2.0 Rules are Live!

- Changes scoring just a bit. There is a way to "reset," favor tokens, sending all renown back to the supply.
- Reduced number of components needed to play. Now only 2 pages of renown tokens (there was 3.)
- Added an end game illustration for scoring purposes.
- Tried to clear up some of the rules and the wording.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, where are the rules?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck man!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MeOldMate wrote:
Um, where are the rules?


They are in the PNP link.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PNP file only contains components at the moment
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
PNP file only contains components at the moment


Opps! You were totally right! Sorry. I have updated the link.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alek Erickson
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HI, playtested stain glass windows last night. First off, I have a qualm with the color scheme. Red, blue, green, yellow is great, but you just used the most basic solid bright color that microsoft paint or something offers. I dont think it looks like stained glass at all when the final thing is complete, but you could mute the colors a little so they glare less, and it would totally resemble a stained glass window. It looks very cool though!

The wording of the rules was a little confusing, but we got it figured out mostly. However, there are a few things you should address.

1. Please rephrase "Already there"... before what?? before the tile was placed... or before your turn started? This is important distinction, and totally changes the gameplay. In our playthrough we decided it would be already there before the tile was placed so people could generally gain more points if they made a complex turn and completed a big shape at the end using tiles they laid that turn.

2. If you Make 2 sections at once by placing a single tile, get one token of each color? This was never addressed


I think the concept is great, and the gameplay in general seems to work with a few exceptions.

At the beginning of the game, there of course are less options for which sections you are able to complete. However, it seems to have Scaling as tiles get laid (surface area increases, potential for matching tiles increases) this is a good thing! Except at the very end it didn’t seem like anybody had any good moves ☹ Maybe that was just peculiar to our game.

I played with 3 players BTW, so it was kind of a big map at the end. Kind of went on too long for it really to have massive replay value, TBH.

So, the recall of tiles once they have been totally used up…Seems like it totally reduces the importance of decisions made early game and erases early leads. This makes the game much less heavy, but will frustrate some players, although I do like how it changes the tactics to targeting certain colors by using them all to sabotage another player. We also only played with one set of favor tokens, but the rules never specify how many sets should be used per player.

For what it's worth, the game had fun points, where I was able to play multiple tiles, but also got boring at the very end, when it didn't seem like anything I did early game mattered, and there became less good play options. I only played this game once, because it took a whole hour.

Thanks for the fun,

Alek
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for reviewing the game. As far as the colors go, you are correct. This is something that I do need to change but as it stands, I am leading it, until I get some more testing in.

Here are my answers to the rest of your questions. I hope they provide the answers you need.

alekerickson wrote:
1. Please rephrase "Already there"... before what?? before the tile was placed... or before your turn started? This is important distinction, and totally changes the gameplay. In our playthrough we decided it would be already there before the tile was placed so people could generally gain more points if they made a complex turn and completed a big shape at the end using tiles they laid that turn.


It is meant to read "already on the table." This means once a tiles is placed, it is on the table. I will add clarification. Sorry for the confusion.

alekerickson wrote:
2. If you Make 2 sections at once by placing a single tile, get one token of each color? This was never addressed


Yes, you do take one of each color. I will make sure to add that to the rules.

alekerickson wrote:
At the beginning of the game, there of course are less options for which sections you are able to complete. However, it seems to have Scaling as tiles get laid (surface area increases, potential for matching tiles increases) this is a good thing! Except at the very end it didn’t seem like anybody had any good moves ☹ Maybe that was just peculiar to our game.


Yeah, it is meant to be a scaling thing. As the game stands, there will be times where you have a bad turn. Sometimes those happen at the beginning, and sometimes they happen at the end.

alekerickson wrote:
I played with 3 players BTW, so it was kind of a big map at the end. Kind of went on too long for it really to have massive replay value, TBH.


I have also had this problem at times, especially when dealing with AP. Would you have a solution as to how to fix that?

alekerickson wrote:
So, the recall of tiles once they have been totally used up…Seems like it totally reduces the importance of decisions made early game and erases early leads. This makes the game much less heavy, but will frustrate some players, although I do like how it changes the tactics to targeting certain colors by using them all to sabotage another player. We also only played with one set of favor tokens, but the rules never specify how many sets should be used per player.


This is a new rule that I have been trying out. Originally they were just worth 0 if the pile was exhausted. I am also not quite sold on this new idea, we will see.

As for the favor, I currently just have it at 10 for each color, regardless of how many people are playing. This is something that might change.


alekerickson wrote:
For what it's worth, the game had fun points, where I was able to play multiple tiles, but also got boring at the very end, when it didn't seem like anything I did early game mattered, and there became less good play options. I only played this game once, because it took a whole hour.


That is rough. Thank you for sticking through with it. I will let you know if I change anything.

alekerickson wrote:
Thanks for the fun,

Alek


You are welcome. Thank you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.